GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2021 10:07 am  #1

Minutes

In each of JC's first two seasons at GW, four players have averaged over 30 minutes per game in playing time.  Last year, James and Jameson each played over 36 minutes, Ricky nearly 35 (albeit in a limited number of games) and just over 32 minutes for Matt Moyer.  The year prior, Jameson and Maceo exceeded 35 minutes per game, Armel played a misleading 32+ (misleading because his first few games of the season ended up bringing that average down), and Jameer played 31 minutes per game.

In his one season at Siena, three players played over 33 minutes per game (with one averaging 37.1 minutes) while a total of 9 players averaged at least 14 minutes of playing time.  During JC's final season at Mount St. Mary's, four players played between 31.4 minutes and 36.3 minutes per game in what was for the most part a 6 man rotation. (Two other players averaged 28 and 24 minutes, and then the next two were in the 10-11 minute range.)

I'd say it's safe to conclude a few things.  First, JC really wants his very best players on the court almost all game.  Averaging over 35 minutes per game is a very high average.  And second, JC would like to play his bench more provided that he can trust their production.  So with this as background, how do you envision answers to these questions (assuming everyone stays healthy):

Will James and Ricky continue to play in the 35+ minute range? 
Will minutes continue to be allocated in a top-heavy manner, such as 4 players averaging at least 30 minutes per game?
Will Hunter or Noel emerge as a sole logical backup to Ira or will both average double figures in minutes?
Will this year's team resemble some of the earlier VCU teams from a player rotation perspective, where very few if any players average 33+ minutes but 9-11 players all play regularly (around 10 or more minutes per game)?

Here are ten players who all figure into the game plan in some way:  Bishop, Lindo, Basimile, Adams, Lee, Harris, Freeman, Nixon,  Dean, Brown.  Qwanzi Samuels is an 11th name.

How do you see things playing out? 

7/16/2021 10:42 am  #2

Re: Minutes

I would be surprised to see Bishop play less than 35 min/game. Whether Freeman takes a lot of minutes at the 1 could impact this, but I think we can expect to see James on the court for that much time regardless. We'll see how it all shakes out but he's certainly earned it.

With Ricky I think it is a lot harder to tell before seeing the team play, seeing Noel Brown's progress and Ira Lee's impact. I think we could see his minutes drop to a more sustainable level. I fully expect him to be over 30 though.

It is almost impossible to tell minutes (for people like me with no insider info whatsoever) given how new this team is. That said I highly doubt we would see anything close to a real 9-11 player rotation with that many guys logging ~10 mins. 

7/16/2021 11:01 am  #3

Re: Minutes

Bench players will get minutes if they play well enough. Our bench has been garbage for JC's two years so it was detrimental to play them. 

Board footera