GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2021 1:09 pm  #1

GW's Best Offseason 2021?

This has been the best off-season for incoming GW talent in over half a decade.

We hired a proven recruiter in JC.  Mojo was unproven, and ML proved he couldn't recruit after Strickland and Sutton quit.

JC's influx of BCS talent comes as little surprise. Now, the pieces have to gel together.

Last edited by The Dude (7/22/2021 2:01 pm)

7/22/2021 6:56 pm  #2

Re: GW's Best Offseason 2021?

The Dude wrote:

This has been the best off-season for incoming GW talent in over half a decade.

We hired a proven recruiter in JC.  Mojo was unproven, and ML proved he couldn't recruit after Strickland and Sutton quit.

JC's influx of BCS talent comes as little surprise. Now, the pieces have to gel together.

I hope they make bike helmets your size

7/22/2021 7:57 pm  #3

There's a year where Strickland and Sutton brought in all those guys they were connected to.  This is the best year since that one

going back a little further Hobbs has back to back offseasons that surpass either of these

7/22/2021 11:28 pm  #4

The Dude wrote:

There's a year where Strickland and Sutton brought in all those guys they were connected to.  This is the best year since that one

going back a little further Hobbs has back to back offseasons that surpass either of these

Strickland did very little and quit suddenly to be with his family for personal reasons with short notice. Kevin was involved in the recruitment but wasn't even there for Tyler, Yuta, Moe Creek, etc

7/23/2021 1:50 am  #5

Cheyenne Moore was a BCS recruit.  He didn’t work out.  Hobbs best recruiting class was Xavier Alenxander, Miles Beatty, Jabari Edwards, and Joe Katuka.  Off-season hype doesn’t equal results.  We should remember that going into the season.

Also, JC wasn’t a proven recruiter.  He was an up and coming System guy.  Where was he recruiting players?.  MSM?   Siena?  It’s not like he was a top assistant at a high level program.

Also, you argue ML didn’t bring in BCS level talent, but the incoming players in what would have been his last season contained a BCS transfer and 4 guys who transferred to BCS level schools.  That doesn’t count the 2 NBA players who were also on that team.  But yeah…no talent.

7/23/2021 10:59 am  #6

Porter- respectfully, didn't Hobbs have a recruiting class of Pops, Mike, Omar, and Dokun followed by a year of JR, Ricky Lucas, and Carl Elliot, followed by Reece?

I think those years of recruiting classes were pretty good.

7/23/2021 11:08 am  #7

You are of course both correct, Skittles and Porter71.  The Dude really isn't arguing anything as much as he's simply trolling.  It would be one thing to offer misguided opinions but he takes that a step further by stating erroneous facts.  How can the line "ML proved he couldn't recruit after Strickland and Sutton quit" be taken at all seriously when in reality, a) Strickland did not really quit; this was far more of a mutual understanding which was reported as a resignation to help make Pete look better, and b) Lonergan's post-Strickland/Sutton recruits included Mo Creek, Yuta, Tyler, Paul, Jordan, Collin, Jair,  and Kevin Marfo among others.

I am willing to guess that Mike Lonergan has spent more days scouting players in high school gyms than The Dude spent going to classes in high school.

Quick note on Kevin Sutton. he has left URI after three seasons and is now an assistant coach at Florida Gulf Coast.  He was the highest paid assistant at URI and it sounds like the lack of on-court success in Kingston this past season meant that David Cox needed to trim the payroll a bit.

7/23/2021 11:40 am  #8

danjsport - You're probably right on the JR, Lucas, and Elliot recruiting class.  That was comparable in recruiting class rankings to the one I mentioned in terms of hype and recruiting rankings.

For the Pops, Hall, Omar class, if I remember correctly Omar was the only highly regarded recruit by the scouting services.  Pops was an under the radar prospect, Hall's only other offer was Princeton I believe and Dokun as a walk on.  That class turned out to be awesome, but I'm talking more about hype before they joined, and not how they turned out.

My point is Dude seems pre-occupied with recruiting rankings and the schools players transferred from as an indicator of future success, and that doesn't necessarily turn out to be true once they actually start playing basketball.

7/23/2021 12:18 pm  #9

counting wins in the "offseason" as if they mean ANYthing
what a sad state of affairs this program is in

7/23/2021 12:56 pm  #10

Mojo recruiting far surpassed Lonergan without Strickland and Sutton connections. With Strickland and Sutton, A, without F-.  Mojo, B-/C+  I'd give this offseason, B+.  The best two Hobbs years A and A.

JC is a magnet for talent. Now the players need to mesh together

Last edited by The Dude (7/23/2021 2:14 pm)

7/23/2021 1:59 pm  #11

The Dude has always been a troll that has ML on his mind 24/7

Last edited by Skittles (7/23/2021 1:59 pm)

7/23/2021 2:11 pm  #12

Lonergan's post-Strickland/Sutton arguably twelve best recruits:  Yuta, Tyler, Mo Creek, Paulie J., Jordan, Alex Mitola, Collin S., Arnaldo, Jair, Kevin M., Jaren, Patrick S.

MoJo's arguably twelve best recruits:  Justin M., Maceo, Mezzie, Terry, Jameson, Chase, DJ, Bo, Armel, Javier, Shandon, Marcus Littles

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.  My opinion is that this group of Lonergan recruits would beat this group of MoJo recruits let's say 99 out of 100 times.  Probably 100 of 100 but any given day as it is said.

7/23/2021 4:14 pm  #13

12 recruits from Mojo and ML?

That beats the combined number of clients from our 2 illustrious attorney's on this thread!

7/23/2021 4:42 pm  #14

The Dude wrote:

Mojo recruiting far surpassed Lonergan without Strickland and Sutton connections. With Strickland and Sutton, A, without F-.  Mojo, B-/C+  I'd give this offseason, B+.  The best two Hobbs years A and A.

JC is a magnet for talent. Now the players need to mesh together

Come on dude, that’s clear trolling. 

Mojo landed Battle and otherwise left GW with its lowest talent level of any outgoing coach probably ever).   In his final year, we were playing Javier Langarica major minutes (who mojo recruited off YouTube videos and one Skype session because he was desperate) and Marcus Littles some.  His recruiting was so bad that people on this board think maceo jack was a great player (even though he couldn’t defend, ball handle, and was only a slightly above average shooter). Our recruiting was so bad that low major players like Justin Mazzula (slow, stiff player who can’t shoot but does enough to be ok on a weak team) and Armel Potter (good offensive player who couldn’t defend and was a classic big stats on bad losing teams guy) were our main guys. 

Granted, every coach has misses (from Rasheed hazzard, Rene Harry, and Matija Debevec to Miles Beatty and Tim Johnson to Matt Cimino and Dan Guest and Justin Williams to Shawn Walker and chase paar).  But those guys are end of bench guys who don’t matter (well, some like cimino were expected to be good).  But what matters is can you field enough good players, and whe you roll out a team with Potter, Mazzula, Jack, Dj Williams, and Langarica, finishing like 250th-300th is inevitable.

MoJo’s  only real recruiting coup was Jameson Battle (much like Keuster recruiting Dirkk Surles for Jarvis or Penders leaving TJ Thompson incoming for Hobbs) and Jameer Nelson might have also been a big hit with a couple more years of hard work.

I don’t know even know why I’m feeding such an obvious troll.  I know this is all about continuing his crusade against Lonergan, but whatever Ml’s flaws he was an excellent recruiter for us and whatever MOJO’s strengths, recruiting wasn’t one of them.  Any discussion otherwise is really a dumb conversation.

7/23/2021 4:45 pm  #15

Gwmayhem wrote:

Lonergan's post-Strickland/Sutton arguably twelve best recruits:  Yuta, Tyler, Mo Creek, Paulie J., Jordan, Alex Mitola, Collin S., Arnaldo, Jair, Kevin M., Jaren, Patrick S.

MoJo's arguably twelve best recruits:  Justin M., Maceo, Mezzie, Terry, Jameson, Chase, DJ, Bo, Armel, Javier, Shandon, Marcus Littles

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.  My opinion is that this group of Lonergan recruits would beat this group of MoJo recruits let's say 99 out of 100 times.  Probably 100 of 100 but any given day as it is said.

I think you left Jameer Jr off MoJo’s list but the point stands. Terry Nolan is probably the second best MoJo recruit and it’s debatable whether he would even make that too 12 (probably over Mitola and Marfo, maybe over Toro but I cut that recruit slack because pre injuries he looked like a real player).

7/23/2021 7:05 pm  #16

Don't remember if Mojo had him in the pipeline,but actually JNJ was signed under JC,who came the previous month. So it was JC's final decision, if not full recruitment.
  Now,JC failed to take advantage of JNJ's  talent and even more potential given his athleticism and pedigree, despite having signed him. Too bad for us. But he did at least sign JNJ.
  On another note,interesting F
-minus grade for the man who brought the only NIT championship (or any other national championship) to GW basketball.

7/23/2021 9:51 pm  #17

ML was an A with Strickland and Sutton's connections, F without them.  There's an offseason with Strickland and Sutton aboard, that is, 12 month calendar year, which ranks among the finest in GW history.

There's also some of the worst recruiting in recent GW history thereafter.

Still, no one is near the level of player that Hobbs brought in, back to back offseasons.

7/23/2021 11:27 pm  #18

The Dude wrote:

ML was an A with Strickland and Sutton's connections, F without them.  There's an offseason with Strickland and Sutton aboard, that is, 12 month calendar year, which ranks among the finest in GW history.

There's also some of the worst recruiting in recent GW history thereafter.

Still, no one is near the level of player that Hobbs brought in, back to back offseasons.

You're insane lol

7/24/2021 1:56 am  #19

Strickland did very little and him getting credit like he is is hilarious. Dematha's next season will show his "prowess". Kevin did a bit for sure but you forget ML is a proven recruiter who talked pro level talent (Blakely, Trumboli) to go to little old UVM (and got MOJO from MST after his "mentor" wasn't playing him much and had him as a good role player in his couple seasons at UVM). Also Yuta and Tyler alone prove this. But he's a troll with nothing better to do than protect a creep and trash the man who had this program going places. Hope the dude enjoys this upcoming subpar year. Cause JC is so great at recruiting.

7/24/2021 10:37 am  #20

Correction time.

1) KevLar was a recruit during the time when Strickland and Sutton were at GW.  Since The Dude has made this a discussion about MoJo recruits vs Lonergan "post Strickland/Sutton" recruits, KevLar does not belong in the discussion.

2) JF beat me to it but to address one of FQ's points, I did not leave JNJ off of MoJo's list because he was a clear JC recruit.  He was recruiting him to play for Siena, and after the decision was made to decommit from St. Joe's, JC scooped him up very quickly.

3) BrianPaul writes that the compare and contrast between ML and MoJo is absurd since one was so much more experienced than the other, yet it's the guy he so willingly defends who is adamant that MoJo's recruiting was superior to ML's recruiting, post Strickland/Sutton era.  This of course is a complete contradiction.  Why not just say "Leave The Dude alone even though he happens to be dead wrong about this."

4) FQ writes, "come on dude, that's clear trolling."  Not really a correction; I am just wondering whether any of The Dude's trolling is unclear, to anyone?    

Board footera