GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2021 4:03 pm  #21

Re: A10 Coaches Leaving for Power 5s

There is some food for thought in the second to last paragraph above.
But to get back on topic,there are two interesting examples here of coaches who stayed in the a10.
One is Martelli who essentially spent his entire (obnoxious) career at St. Joe's. He presumably had plenty of move up prospects in the Nelson/West era.
   The other is our former coach,who turned down triple his salary at BC and was fired.
  So yes,it would be good to stay in one place like Jim Phelan and probably best for a more stable but still uncertain career/lifestyle. But as pointed out,the salary disparities and the potential of being canned in a fickle profession based on what have you done lately also can argue against it. 
Let's please not discuss the specific firing allegations in our case here. Glad to discuss in Rewind if allowed,as it should be.
Frankly those interested should discuss it regularly,preferably in Rewind,because it still affects us everyday. Check this year's schedule, for example.
  But let's try and salvage this teetering thread by discussing it like gents, calmly and academically in reference to anyone (say except Martelli).

Last edited by jf (8/06/2021 4:04 pm)

8/06/2021 4:10 pm  #22

The current Dayton and VCU coaches are making north of 1.5MM a year.  What would Jarvis had made if he he sustained (more or less) success at GW for the last 20+ years?

Plenty of $ to be made leading a top flight A10 program.  Most of the Coaches I listed are either out of the sport or took big moves down, again the financial incentive is generally short lived.

Lastly, one must do some rather unsavory things to win in the Power 5.  Will Wade immediately ran into trouble at LSU, Jarvis had some issues at St Johns, as have both Miller brothers. 

I think when Bob McKillop's head hits the pillow at night he's at ease with himself, What's the pricetag for that??

8/06/2021 4:22 pm  #23

By this logic, lower level coaches should never leave for A-10 jobs.  Dave Paulsen had a good thing going at Bucknell, but was mediocre at Mason and was fired.  By your logic, based on that one example, no Patriot league coach should ever leave for the A-10.  There is always a risk at leaving one job for another, at any profession.  I think its good to bet on yourself.

There is no guarantee that Jarvis would have sustained his success.  His last recruiting classes weren't nearly as good as the ones proceeding them.  He could have found the same downward trajectory as Hobbs.

Also, I'll give you and GWMayhem something to agree on.  I think Mark Few is overrated.  That's not to troll you.  I think even with his good OOC scheduling (I may have been a little too dismissive in my first thread), his schedules have never been as grueling as the big boys because his conference is so bad.  OOC games against good teams are totally different than blood rivalry games again good teams.

8/06/2021 5:01 pm  #24

No guarantee of sustained success, but highly likely. He handed a NCAA tourney team off to Penders.   And yet, that makes Few all the more incredible, because there is no guarantee you have to do it year after year.

As for Jarvis we'll never know, but I'd have bet heavily on his continued success.  Probably a little up and down, McKillop has had a few.   But overall highly likely.  Any question Anthony Grant would have stayed successful at VCU if he stayed there?  Has any A10 Coach left for a Power 5 and actually done well in the last 15-20 years?

Few has 36 NCAA tourney wins, 300% more wins than the entire A10 combined in that time period. He's also the winningest Coach in NCAA history not too shabby.  He has 20 NCAA tourney wins in the last 6 years, Shaka, 0 at Texas in 6 years.  Another man whose head hits the pillow at ease each night.   Does Will Wade right now?

Some good company here all time win %:

1.Mark Few.8344
2.Sam Burton.8333
3.Clair Bee.8244
4.Adolph Rupp.8218
5.John Wooden.8039  

Last edited by The Dude (8/06/2021 5:29 pm)

8/06/2021 10:32 pm  #25

BrianPaul wrote:

So, Dude is trolling by posting?  And you gents are trolling Dude? 

I've read about Mark Few.  I doubt he is fearful of competition. He seems to me like a number of men I have met along the way, who have the talent and connection to do anything imaginable in their professions.  And, yet, they've chosen a different location, profession, lifestyle, woman, auto, whatever. 

Some folks measure their own happiness differently. 

There are better examples than Mark Few.  Use your own imaginations. 

Strangely enough I agree. Could've been a head coach anywhere to prove himself years ago. Keeps where he is in a conference with maybe 2 non-laughable opponents to this day. At some point he needs to be called out imo

8/08/2021 12:51 pm  #26

Proved himself by scheduling the nation's toughest OOC each year and beating on blue bloods, and by winning 20 NCAA tourney games in the last 5 years, 36 total, with a WCC team

What did the A10 Coaches who bolted for more $ prove by failing elsewhere?

8/08/2021 1:42 pm  #27

It's great that a guy sitting behind his basement computer can call certain former A-10 head coaches "failures" when they didn't have the same level of success after moving up in weight class.. Amazing really. Nobody called anyone a failure when someone messed up on those duplex copies at Kinkos after he was first allowed to advance beyond single sided after having success there. Fair is fair.

And for the record ....

Mark Few Conference Winning Percentage (including WCC Tournament games) .910
Mark Few Non-Conference Winning Percentage .(including NCAA games) = .750

.910 is probably a record for any coach within conference but does explain the gaudy overall winning percentage.

8/08/2021 4:43 pm  #28

Again with Ad Hominem attacks?

No one thinks Mike Jarvis (or JC) would be better off staying at GW?

8/08/2021 6:13 pm  #29

No.

Look at JC's old HC Jim Phelan.  Basically never stopped winning at the Mount.  Not in the HOF and you gotta think that staying at MSM his whole career hurt his chances.

8/08/2021 9:04 pm  #30

Peace and love guys. Peace and love

8/08/2021 10:46 pm  #31

Uh, people do realize that Jim Phelan passed away a few weeks ago, no?
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31645410/long-mount-st-mary-coach-jim-phelan-dies-92

8/09/2021 6:29 am  #32

1. Yes I know Coach Phelan passed away.
2. Yes, he obviously was happy living in Emmitsburg and never had the desire to leave.  Good for him.  His choice was very much the exception.
3. I'd argue his decision to never leave MSM is the reason he doesn't get the respect he deserves as an all-time coach.   For many young coaches who are ego-driven and want to be regarded as one of the best, staying in a small market will not get rewarded and after a certain point you may start getting passed over for bigger jobs. King Rice at Monmouth is a good example of someone who should've taken any bigger job offered after 16-17.  Now his career arc probably hit its ceiling after a few mediocre seasons in a row. 

This is why most coaches jump at the first opportunity they get to move up.  There's no guarantee you'll get a second bite at the apple.  

8/09/2021 9:09 am  #33

1.  Everyone here is entitled to their opinion.
2.  It means nothing that there may be people in this world who are more qualified to offer an opinion, or for that matter, less qualified.
3. It means nothing that the subject of the opinion could not care less about said opinions.
4. This is a message board.  A big part of why many of us are here is to offer opinions.
5. Here's my opinion:  this topic can be broken down into betting on oneself vs remaining content.  If a coach decides to have the type of career that Jim Phelan or Bob McKillop had/has, then he must recognize that the pressures of winning big at a higher level do not outweigh the benefits of substantially higher pay.  They also recognize that they have likely "done enough" where they are at that they don't have to worry about job security (though this is not a guarantee...ask Phil Martelli about this) relative to coaches at higher levels.

However, coaches are competitive by nature and most are likely going to want to bet on themselves.  Keep in mind that most Power 5/Big East schools who hire mid-major coaches are experiencing problems with their programs, which is why there is an opening in the first place.  So a Mike Jarvis or an Archie Miller understand going in that their fan bases are already growing impatient before they've started their first days at their new jobs.  Therefore, they may not be given as much time to turn things around as they would like.  However, they are about to let's say double to triple their current pay, as well as get to recruit and coach more talented players.  A higher percentage of these players will play in the NBA or elsewhere professionally.  This is all very appealing to a coach.  

Plus, if things don't work out at a big program, other attractive alternatives still remain.  Jarvis was about ready to retire but instead got to continue coaching in Boca Raton.  Brian Gregory, who bombed at Ga Tech after a successful stint at Dayton, makes over $1 million annually at USF (South Florida).  Tommy Amaker not only has twice as many NCAA appearances at Harvard as he had at Seton Hall and Michigan combined, but his wife is a Professor at Harvard.  It's highly doubtful that the Amaker's are going anywhere anytime soon.

And then again, Coach K could have coached his entire career at Army but if he had, he'd likely not be known to most as Coach K.  Bill Self's journey took him from Oral Roberts to Tulsa to Illinois and finally to Kansas.  He went from a major program to a premier program where he has a lifetime contract that stipulates that he can't get fired even if Kansas goes on probation.  Mick Cronin went from Murray State to Cincinnati and is now at UCLA where things seem to be going very well.  Crosstown neighbor Andy Enfield led a national sensation at Florida Gulf Coast but since those days, he's won more games at USC than any coach since 1980.

Simply put, there are too many coaches out there that fall under every category (content to stay where they are, bet on themselves and lost, bet on themselves and won) to draw a definitive conclusion that one way of doing things is the right way or the best way.  And, as has been pointed out in this thread, there's no guarantee that being willing to stay content where you are guarantees your continued employment at that school years later.  One of the reasons why coaches are compensated so well at the highest levels is because there are no guarantees.  So even for the coach who bets on himself and loses, maybe he made more money in 5 years than he would have in 10-15 years, plus he can likely find another coaching gig at the level he had been on before making the upward move. 

On this issue, there just isn't a one size fits all answer. 

8/09/2021 9:20 am  #34

BrianPaul wrote:

3. Your opinion on his life is irrelevant. So is mine. So is that of every poster on every site in the basketball universe. 
Young, ego-driven coaches ought to learn some wisdom. So should you

I mean, the guy who started this thread asked for our opinions and re-upped asking whether it was better for coaches to stay put so???

I guess every thread should be two posts long. One asking a question of the board and the other saying “it’s none of our business” and be done with it.

Last edited by GW0509 (8/09/2021 9:26 am)

8/09/2021 10:24 am  #35

Mt St Mary's is not exactly the A10.

Leaving there for GW does make sense, for most at least. (Via Siena in our case)

Leaving the A10 once highly successful for a Power 5 is what the thread is aimed at.  Wise/unwise?

8/09/2021 10:33 am  #36

GW0509 wrote:

BrianPaul wrote:

3. Your opinion on his life is irrelevant. So is mine. So is that of every poster on every site in the basketball universe. 
Young, ego-driven coaches ought to learn some wisdom. So should you

I mean, the guy who started this thread asked for our opinions and re-upped asking whether it was better for coaches to stay put so???

I guess every thread should be two posts long. One asking a question of the board and the other saying “it’s none of our business” and be done with it.

Exactly. It is only if Mr. Lawyer and his sidekick think it should be of interest here that it should be discussed.

Notice a pattern here? Mr. Lawyer and his sidekick think they are the arbiters of this board. Last time I checked that was Barry. For example, ad hominem attacks are viewed by these two as only ad hominem attacks when received but not when dished out. For example, none of the dozens of non-responsive serious and false attacks on the character of a real person (ML) are ad hominems but obvious jokes about Kinkos relating to a fictitious screen name (didn't know we had anyone actually named the Dude).are worthy of censure. Really? When digital mostly anonymous personnas become more worthy of protection than real live people here, we have truly reached a place that is disconnected from reality. .

8/09/2021 10:56 am  #37

I would also question whether referring to someone on this board as a troll, when he consistently demonstrates the behavior of a troll, should be considered an ad hominem attack.  This strikes me as being a lot different than calling someone a jerk for no reason.    

8/09/2021 11:34 am  #38

Coach Christian should get the school lawyers to take this site down by banning them from using any names associated with GW Basketball.

This site is probably his biggest obstacle to recruiting. Parents and players do their research. Being involved in the AAU circuit with my son, I have been silent about my connections to GW for the last couple years because it's an embarrassing topic of conversation. 

This site has become a conversation between dude and bp with nothing relevant to GW basketball. I feel sorry for the players and staff because they are the ones who suffer.

Barry, go ahead and delete this post or shut down the thread to prevent further discussion on this. Turning a blind eye to the truth doesn't change reality. We are the laughingstock of the A-10.

8/09/2021 11:58 am  #39

BrianPaul wrote:

Rising, Mayhem: 
There is only rule...don't be an ass. Trolls, jerks, and anyone who attacks someone else on a personal level are subject to being banned. Period.

So where do the Dude's incessant attacks on ML fall? Serious question especially when ML is (A) no longer the coach and (B) not here to defend himself.

Last edited by GWRising (8/09/2021 12:01 pm)

8/09/2021 12:03 pm  #40

BrianPaul wrote:

Rising, Mayhem: 
There is only rule...don't be an ass. Trolls, jerks, and anyone who attacks someone else on a personal level are subject to being banned. Period.

So where does the Dude's purposefully annoying trolls, the repetitive posts designed to sabotage this board, fall?

Board footera