GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2021 4:41 pm  #1

Starting Five By Coach...Part 4

Time to take a break from Mashugana-Land to finish this series on GW coaches top starting 5's.  Today, we have an interesting dilemma.  Normally, a coaching change might be made in March or April allowing for a new coach to begin coaching his players over the summer.  So my rule of thumb in putting this together is that if Tom Penders recruited TJ Thompson but TJ never played for TP because Hobbs was on board months before the start of a season, then I counted TJ as a Hobbs coached player.  Theoretically, in this example, TJ would have had time to change schools but obviously, he chose to stay and play for KH.  Fast forward to Mike Lonergan's last recruiting class which included Jair Bolden, Kevin Marfo, Collin Smith and Arnaldo Toro.  Lonergan did coach these guys over the summer as well as during exhibition games in Japan.  By the time the coaching change was made, these players had no alternative but to play for MoJo at least during their first semester (each managed to stay at GW for at least a full season).   So, do we count these guys as ML players or MoJo players?  I'll offer both scenarios.

ML Starting 5:

PG Joe McDonald
SG Pato Garino
C  Zeke Armwood
SF Yuta Watanabe
PF  Tyler Cavanaugh

This is the lineup even if that final recruiting class is eligible.  Plenty of tough omits on this team.  Have taken the liberty of swinging Pato to the 2 in order to get him in the lineup.  My next choice was Kethan Savage by a hair over Mo Creek.  Kethan played like a warrior for GW and while Mo Creek went through hell and back to play again and is a more naturally gifted player, his play was far more one dimensional than Kethan's.  Zeke gets the nod at center over KevLar even though he was truly more of a power forward who often played alongside Kevin.  KevLar did more things well but the things which Zeke did well, particularly on defense and off the glass, were that much more superior than what Kevin offered in these areas.  It's amazing that naturally talented players like Paulie J and Roland don't even end up being seriously considered to crack this top 5.

All MoJo Team with ML's last recruiting class:

PG   Armel Potter 
SG  Terry Nolan, Jr.
C     Collin Smith
SF   Jameson Battle
PF    Arnaldo Toro

All  MoJo Team without ML's last recruiting class:    

PG    Armel Potter
SG    Terry Nolan, Jr
C       Chase Paar
SF     Jameson Battle
PF     DJ Williams

The pickings, shall I say, weren't splendid.  Potter and Nolan manage to keep Maceo and Mazzulla on the bench.  Jair was considered but bypassed as well.  Battle of course is easy.  The only decision was whether to put Mezzie Offerum ahead of DJ Williams.  It was tempting, but just not right.

Thoughts or opinions on the All-Lonergan and/or All-Mojo teams?  

8/10/2021 6:42 pm  #2

Re: Starting Five By Coach...Part 4

I really can't argue with your ML lineup, I just wish there was a way to put Creek in there. He may have only been here for a year, but I don't think we make the tournament in 2014 without him. If I were to put him in the lineup I guess I'd play him at the point, even though Joe was such a floor general out there.  

Good problem to have for sure.

8/11/2021 12:07 pm  #3

I agree with you Mayhem on ML's starting 5. I think those 5 are up there with Jarvis and Hobbs starting 5. Just think if ML had more than 5 years of bringing in that kind of talent. I didn't appreciate it at the time but do now after these last 5 years. I can only hope we can someday get back to those days.

8/11/2021 3:36 pm  #4

Oh and I'd probably put Bo Zeigler in there for Mojo (non ML edition) and take out DJ Williams.  Bo actually brought quite a bit of energy to that 17-18 team.

8/11/2021 3:57 pm  #5

All ML Mojo:
PG J. Roland
Wing Yuta
Wing Steeves
PF Cavanaugh
C Collin Smith

Non ML Mojo
G Nolan
G Potter
G Mazzulla
F Offurum
F Battle

8/11/2021 4:07 pm  #6

Whoops ... Battle was a JC recruit not MJ

Ugh. Give me Maceo Jack then in a 4-G lineup

8/11/2021 5:17 pm  #7

GW0509, please don't mistake what I'm about to say as a suggestion that I was a fan of DJ William's game.  However, DJ was simply a more talented player than Bo.  Bo was an electrifying dunker and as you say, an energy player.  But his other skills were very limited, certainly when compared to DJ's.  I will say that Bo is higher in my pecking order than Mezzie.

Mentz, I broke my own rule.  Both Paar and Battle were recruited by MoJo but neither actually played for him.  So by my definition, they would belong on a JC team and not a MoJo team.  That means Battle has to come off my first team and while I'd like to put Kevin Marfo there in light of what he would go on to do, I'm stuck putting DJ on that team as well.  On the other team, Battle and Paar come off and I'll play three guards with Maceo and Bo becomes my undersized center.

Mentz, my general rule is that the coach who a player played for his first year at GW is whose team that player belongs to.  So using that rule, I'd have to nix Roland, Yuta and Tyler from any MoJo team since each played for ML.  

8/11/2021 5:28 pm  #8

I hear ya and certainly as you say I also concede DJ's all around game was better than Bo. 

However, I always got the vibe that DJ wasn't 100% into it while at GW, unlike Bo.  I don't necessarily blame DJ totally for that as the team he played on was dreadful.  I was just thinking that if I were Mojo and had to win a game against one of the other teams I'd rather have a guy out there with positive energy.

EDIT: I guess with the re-worked rules there would be a spot in the lineup for Bo anyway with Battle and Paar coming off.

8/11/2021 7:01 pm  #9

Tale of two Lonergans. First couple of years, losing a lot but acquiring big talent

Next few years, winning with that talent but not acquiring replacement talent.

Mojo was never really given a fair chance, but did bring in some good talent, and we're better off making the change to JC, but Mojo's future is bright.

8/11/2021 11:10 pm  #10

DJ Williams was bad.  A volume mid-range shooter on a bad team who took bad shots and led to a lot of losing.  He didn’t play defense, pass, or rebound.  Or shoot well from three. 

I wouldn’t have him anywhere close to a top 5 team even from that lean era.  Would easily put Jameer Nelson ahead of him for his defense alone.

8/11/2021 11:12 pm  #11

This was a fun thread. I'd give JC one more off-season given covid and all (or at least till end of this one to see what we have) before I could try my hand at the one for him. Agree with the ML MJ ones tho I'd also say Tony Taylor as back up pg just for Herve

8/12/2021 5:46 am  #12

As the original TT hater, I've really revised my opinion of him. Never sniffed a tournament but he ran the team and didn't turn it over that much. Sorta like Brent Mydland.

8/12/2021 10:17 am  #13

FQ, am certainly not advocating that DJ Williams was good.  I'd have picked JNJ ahead of him in a second but he wasn't even close to being eligible to make a MoJo team.  He not only played solely for JC but was recruited to GW by JC as well.

GW0509, I hear you as well.  Aside from the opinion that I believe DJ was a better player than Bo, I would want to pick Bo ahead of DJ for every other conceivable reason.  Athleticism, attitude, energy...all clearly favored Bo.

8/12/2021 10:57 am  #14

This game shows up wrong Dude's nonsense on ML getting an D for recruiting after his initial class really is.  You can compare the two sets of players side by side.  Which team would you rather have?  MoJos 3 years, or ML's last 3

MoJo
Armel Potter
Terry Nolan Jr.
DJ Williams / Bo Ziegler
Jameson Battle
Chase Parr

ML
PG.  Paul Jorgensen (I could swap in Jaren Sina)
SG:  Jair Bolden (I could swap in Jordan Roland)
SF:  Yuta Wantanabe
PF:  Collin Smith
C:  Arnaldo Toro (I could swap in Kevin Marfo)

8/12/2021 11:19 am  #15

porter71 wrote:

This game shows up wrong Dude's nonsense on ML getting an D for recruiting after his initial class really is.  You can compare the two sets of players side by side.  Which team would you rather have?  MoJos 3 years, or ML's last 3

MoJo
Armel Potter
Terry Nolan Jr.
DJ Williams / Bo Ziegler
Jameson Battle
Chase Parr

ML
PG.  Paul Jorgensen (I could swap in Jaren Sina)
SG:  Jair Bolden (I could swap in Jordan Roland)
SF:  Yuta Wantanabe
PF:  Collin Smith
C:  Arnaldo Toro (I could swap in Kevin Marfo)

ML's last 3 through the NIT Championship?  We get to have Tyler Cavanaugh and Mo Creek on that team.  Last 3 including the Collin Smith class?  We still have Tyler on that team. 

8/12/2021 11:46 am  #16

Under the circumstances, Mojo recruited well.  his HS recruits were better than JC so far, and the ML without Strickland/Sutton.

JC though has landed some big talent transfers, we'll see how that translates

8/12/2021 5:36 pm  #17

Gwmayhem wrote:

FQ, am certainly not advocating that DJ Williams was good.  I'd have picked JNJ ahead of him in a second but he wasn't even close to being eligible to make a MoJo team.  He not only played solely for JC but was recruited to GW by JC as well.

GW0509, I hear you as well.  Aside from the opinion that I believe DJ was a better player than Bo, I would want to pick Bo ahead of DJ for every other conceivable reason.  Athleticism, attitude, energy...all clearly favored Bo.

Right.  I don’t know why I keep forgetting he was a JC recruit, not a mojo one. 

If there’s not a 5th mojo recruit better than DJ Williams, that’s…. just… awful. 

I guess Bo Ziegler, which is sad.  Or Mazzula or Mezzie, who were not good players either. 

I think Jameson Battle is the only Mojo recruit who could crack JC’s top 5 and he’s only had two years (one of which we haven’t even seen yet). Same for Penders’ three years.   

I don’t think any of MoJo’s recruits other than Battle could even crack Keuster’s team (Led by Dirkk Surles and Sonni Holland).

8/12/2021 10:31 pm  #18

Dirkk and Sonni at least, were good players.

Last edited by jf (8/12/2021 10:31 pm)

8/13/2021 12:14 am  #19

Pay the troll toll to get in the boys soul. That's an Always Sunny reference for anyone who knows. Stop feeding the troll. That 2016-17 class could've gone NCAA. It's not a slight to MOJO at all because I have nothing but love for the guy I've known him for years. He was given a bad hand on the worst day. Thank Tanya and Paddy for that. I don't care where they landed. Smith and them had crazy upside.

8/13/2021 10:43 am  #20

You think GW looked like a contender in all four of Mike Brown's years?  Contender for what exactly?

Freshman year:  13-14 (7-7 in the Eastern 8), lost first conference tournament game (I think to West Virginia?)

Sophomore year: 14-15 (4-10 in the A10); lost in quarters to SBU after beating Duquesne

Junior Year:  17-12 (11-7 in the A10), opening round bye, beat Duquesne in quarters, lost to SBU in the semis

Senior Year:  14-14 (9-9 in the A10), lost in first conference tournament game to St. Joe's 

31-33 in regular season conference games.  2-4 in tournament games.  No A10 titles, no A10 title game appearances, 1 trip to the semis.

Brownie was a great player on otherwise pedestrian Colonial teams.  Loved those guys personally but to evaluate their teams, they were about as middle of the road as it gets.

Board footera