GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2021 8:45 am  #1

Who am I

So I am visiting the Long Suffering Nephew, who was the student radio game announcer for URI, and who has amassed an amazing collection of programs, media guides, etc. from all the conference schools as part of his job.  From one GW publication came the following quote...His graceful and agile moves belies a man his size...the only person standing in _____________'s way is his penchant for foul trouble...one gets the feeling that its only a matter of time before he overcomes the foul trouble problems and dominates games from the start.    Who am I?

8/11/2021 8:50 am  #2

Re: Who am I

Am going all in on Patrick Ngongba.

8/11/2021 9:54 am  #3

Can probably  apply to Patrick (whom I never forgave for that foul vs Teme) but that is not who I was looking for.0

8/11/2021 10:04 am  #4

Almost 100% sure this describes early Pops Mensa Bonsu.

8/11/2021 10:16 am  #5

My guess would be Yinka Dare. The word "dominates" is influencing my choice. 

8/11/2021 10:43 am  #6

Iturbe? Roma? Goss?
Probably Yinka...

8/11/2021 11:14 am  #7

Miguel Cartagena

8/11/2021 12:04 pm  #8

Yinka

8/11/2021 12:22 pm  #9

Yegor

8/11/2021 12:44 pm  #10

Assist to Mentzinger but how about Sasha Koul?  He moved fairly well for a big and he was always in foul trouble as a freshman and slightly less so as a sophomore.  Many of the calls that went against him were terrible.

(Am disappointed that Ngongba was incorrect.  I was proud of that answer.)

8/11/2021 1:25 pm  #11

Kireev?

8/11/2021 1:53 pm  #12

Thinking about it, Koul might be the best candidate. Alas, he never got on the same page with the A10 refs, probably is the conference´s all time career leader in fouling out.

8/11/2021 7:40 pm  #13

Answer is Sasha Koul. Kudos to Mayhem and GWAA.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (8/11/2021 9:09 pm)

8/12/2021 5:43 am  #14

8/12/2021 9:34 am  #15

Like I said, assist to Mentzinger.  Without his guess of Yegor, I'm not sure I'm coming up with Koul.

A few things about Sasha.  First, the fouls.  Like I said, early on in his career, I felt that he was being called for numerous ticky tack fouls or simply bad calls.  What I looked forward to would be his upperclassman years where refs would be more familiar with his game and he would receive the benefit of the doubt on questionable calls (as seniors often do).  The problem is that either he couldn't adjust his game or the refs never let up on him.  Probably a combination of the two.

As  a result, Sasha never averaged under 26.1 minutes per game and never averaged more than 28.1 minutes per game.  Foul trouble has a way of suppressing those minutes.  Here's an illustration regarding the fouls:

Freshman year, Alex was called for a foul every 7.0 minutes.
As a sophomore, every 7.2 minutes.
Junior year, every 7.4 minutes.
Senior year, a slight regression to every 7.3 minutes.

By contrast:

Pops:  6.3 (a fouling machine his freshman year), 7.2, 8.8, 9.1..Substantial improvement every year

KevLar:  15.9, 15.8, 21.1, 15.5 (for a guy his size, Kevin had little interest in fouling)

Yinka:  8.9, 10.3

Sasha seemingly was never given the benefit of the doubt.  Was there an anti-Soviet bias working against him?  While no ref would ever openly admit to this, I seem to recall maybe a handful of refs getting close to this line, calling basketball an American game and the like.  It's worth noting that Koul, Yegor, and Andrei Krivinos were among the first international players in the U.S. college game, and were clearly among the first Soviet players.  (Krivinos was nicknamed "The Baby-Faced Assassin".  Wonder if this would fly today?)

Despite the near-constant level of foul trouble Sasha was in, his play was remarkably consistent and impressive.  He averaged 13.5 points per game during his 4 years at GW, on 61% career shooting, and never averaged fewer than 12/game in a season.  He also averaged 7.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks while at GW. 

I'll end this with a story I've told before on the old board but maybe there are a few here who have not heard it or don't remember it.  During Sasha's freshman year, GW played an ESPN game at Duke which I thought at the time I was fortunate enough to attend.  What wasn't so fortunate was watching GW fall behind 40-8 (not a misprint) inside of Cameron Indoor Stadium.  Anyway, Sasha's english was not very advanced and he had to rely upon signs from the sideline to comprehend the plays that were being called.  

As you likely know (since GW copied it), Duke has a tradition where once an opposing player fouls out, the students begin to make a noise as the player leaves the court, culminating in a loud "Sit Down" when the player takes his seat.  In the case of Sasha, somebody must have gotten through to him before the game and was able to effectively communicate what he should do if he were to foul out of the game.  He would not take a seat, but would instead stand at the far end of the bench with his arms folded.  

Well, this game was never close and MJ saw nothing to lose by playing Sasha with 4 fouls.  When Koul fouled out, there was well over 8 minutes remaining in the game which amounted to maybe 15 minutes of real time.  The Duke students screamed and Koul stood upright and stared.  The students wouldn't stop and Koul refused to sit.  Finally, with about 1 minute left to play, the students broke out into a "you're not worth it, you're not worth it" chant while pointing to Sasha, which actually cracked up several of the GW players.  Have to admit that was funny.

8/12/2021 5:45 pm  #16

I’m late to the party but I immediately thought of Koul. 

A10 refs ruined Koul’s career by reffing him with an impossible double standard.  He got hacked and hammered literally every time he shot and never got a call… but got whistled any time he breathed on the same guys who were hacking him on every shot. 

He’d get shoved with two hands in the post and because he was so big, the refs wouldn’t call anything… but then they’d call Koul any time he’d move someone by using his size.

By his senior year, you could tell he literally didn’t know what to do to avoid foul trouble and became very tentative, while at the same was finding it harder and harder to shoot as small defenders continued to hack him on every shot with no calls.

It all culminated in his final A10 tourney game when a series of bad calls put him in foul trouble.  Then, with a few minutes left, some guy ran into Koul’s back while cutting across the lane and fell down.  The refs called it a foul on Koul (all he did was get run into by a smaller guy) and Jarvis finally lost it.  Got ejected from the game.

I recall most of us had been begging for Jarvis to go nuts about the way Koul was officiated for like 2 years and no one was upset he got ejected late in an A10 tourney game standing up for his player. 

I also remember Shaquille O’Neal saying one of the reasons he left college early was that college refs didn’t know how to referee a player who was so much bigger and stronger than other college players. Although he made a lot of money overseas, Koul  probably should have followed Shaq’s lead and gotten away from college refs earlier.

8/12/2021 6:58 pm  #17

Koul's treatment by refs is the major reason I hate the striped sobs.  I'll never forget a foul called by a ref who had is back turned up court and not back where Koul was just standing there when an opposing player not looking where he was going just ran right into Koul.I'll never forget that play nor forgive it either.

8/13/2021 10:06 am  #18

Replay indicates that Free's guess came after the buzzer had sounded so it cannot be counted.  Now, as a bonus question...who remembers Koul's first game at the Smith Center?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (8/13/2021 10:08 am)

8/13/2021 2:46 pm  #19

Ukrainian team came to DC for preseason exhibition.

8/14/2021 9:09 pm  #20

I remember his first game.  We were all shocked that we had a center as big and strong as Yinka (though he wasn’t Yinka).

I believe his first regular season game was the road win at Syracuse in OT when he not only had double figures but screened the lane for a monster Nimbo dunk (also it was Antoine Hart’s coming out party, including a block that he spiked off someone’s head so hard that the ball landed at half court). 

I don’t remember Koul’s first exhibition game other than his size.

Board footera