GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2020 5:49 pm  #81

Re: Smith Center Discussion + Renovations

So GW puts logos on courts and the University of Pennsylvania donates $100 million to clean up Philly schools. 

https://www.inquirer.com/education/penn-gift-school-district-asbestos-millions-20201117.html

Great job by Penn in making a real difference in inner city kids lives. 

11/18/2020 12:27 pm  #82

GWRising wrote:

So GW puts logos on courts and the University of Pennsylvania donates $100 million to clean up Philly schools. 

https://www.inquirer.com/education/penn-gift-school-district-asbestos-millions-20201117.html

Great job by Penn in making a real difference in inner city kids lives. 

GWRising, thank you for posting this great news.  Congratulations to Penn, and the truly amazing Amy Guttman for doing wonderful work. I read a little bit about Guttman's background. I feel she's living an inspired life.  She must have seen and learned a great deal about humanity along the way.

I feel it would be great if GW would do something for DC schools, many of which are in horrible condition.  Maybe (and this is just a thought) GW, Howard, AU, Georgetown, Catholic and possibly others, could get together and collectively make a big contribution to the public schools of DC.

Thank you again for sharing this information. 

11/18/2020 12:54 pm  #83

This was a great job by Penn and they should be congratulated.  And, it would be great if GW chose to make a similar contribution to DC.  

However, you continue to undermine GW for doing something positive.  Not grandiose, but positive.  It's fine for you to criticize the school for not doing more.  But don't criticize them for what they are doing.

11/18/2020 1:34 pm  #84

Gwmayhem wrote:

This was a great job by Penn and they should be congratulated.  And, it would be great if GW chose to make a similar contribution to DC.  

However, you continue to undermine GW for doing something positive.  Not grandiose, but positive.  It's fine for you to criticize the school for not doing more.  But don't criticize them for what they are doing.

Gwmayhem, I apologize for the wording of my post. Now that I've reread it, I can understand what you mean.  I feel GW is on the right path and I commend them for several things including removing the name of racists from their buildings and also for the recent support for BLM.  Is there much more to do, as GWRising has pointed out?  Yes, I feel there is.  But in no way was I intending to detract from what GW has already started. 

Again, my apologies for the insensitive wording of my last post on this subject.  

12/31/2020 11:51 am  #85

Am not sure if anyone has answers to these questions but I am curious:

1) This season, the player benches have shifted to the opposite side of the court.  Is this a one season move due to the pandemic or will this be a permanent change?

2) Have also noticed during home games that the basket we historically have shot at during the first halves of games is now our second half basket, and vice versa.  Again, is this a one year switch or a permanent switch?

3) Many of our weeknight home games this season will be starting at 6:00pm rather than 7:00 pm.  Since fans can't get to games, I am assuming this is a one year change and not a permanent one.  Anyone in the know able to confirm this?

12/31/2020 12:15 pm  #86

1. Temporary.
2. Unknown
3. Temporary

12/31/2020 12:51 pm  #87

Thank you sir.

1/01/2021 4:11 pm  #88

Think most schools have moved benches to opposite side this year to keep team distance from official scorer and the people that tend to sit on that side.

1/02/2021 1:17 pm  #89

Does anyone know where we can see the fan cutouts since they are not that visible watching on TV?

6/28/2021 9:26 am  #90

I assume this was put on hold as a result of Covid and the relating budget constraints. Anyone have any info on whether this project will be renewed. I did see St Joseph's just announced they will be building a practice facility.

Here is an excerpt of the original article and a link to the entire Hatchet article

Smith Center upgrades will align with ‘Atlantic 10 standards,’ officials sayCOURTSIDE By Emily Maise Jan 29, 2020 8:43 PMUpdated:
Thursday, Jan. 30, 2020 at 11:46 a.m.GW’s plans to replace the Smith Center pool with additional basketball courts will align with rising Atlantic 10 standards, officials said.Officials initially proposed expanding the Smith Center and filling in its pool at a Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission earlier this month. Tanya Vogel, the director of athletics, said the renovations will help the athletics department recruit top athletes and give teams enough space for both Division I student-athletes and club and varsity athletes to practice.

6/28/2021 11:59 pm  #91

This is actually pretty interesting, and sort of important, albeit delayed/dated (probably the former)

But, it isn't a contrived non news news recruiting thread so it gets totally ignored.  

So where would the new pool be?  I remember before H&WC, getting routinely kicked off the Smith Center courts and weightroom, serious shortage of facilities just 20 years ago.  

6/29/2021 8:57 am  #92

Hopefully they manage to get the project moving ahead. I think we are one of the only A10 schools left without a practice facility. Obviously our location makes us a bit more space constrained than others.

The article mentioned the swim team practicing at the St. James in Springfield. Maybe something could be built at the Mt Vernon campus. All $ that the school doesn't necessarily  want to prioritize on athletics.

BTW here is St Joseph's press release from today about their facility
LINK

6/29/2021 9:26 am  #93

Just a thought but perhaps this story has been ignored because there has been no news on the development over the past 18 months, give or take.

6/29/2021 9:41 am  #94

Being in a highly urban expensive real estate for sure plays a role

There's been a decline in general across the nation for the athletics programs in similarly situated schools

So is this now underway?

6/29/2021 10:09 am  #95

Seems like the Arlington Long Bridge Aquatics Center opening up this summer just North of the airport would be the natural place for the swim team to compete as long as a deal can be struck with the county.  It's been a political / fluster cuck of a project though so that could be tough.

https://www.arlnow.com/2021/06/17/do-you-plan-to-visit-the-long-bridge-park-aquatics-center-after-it-opens/

6/29/2021 10:27 am  #96

My reasoning for posting the thread was not to let people know about this article from a year ago, but to see if anyone had an update.  Some on here are close to the AD and staff.

6/29/2021 10:41 am  #97

I feel like the athletic department eliminating the pool sports, or some combination of them, is more likely to happen. And before ground is ever broken on a practice court/area within the natatorium 

6/29/2021 11:29 am  #98

That whole Long bridge facility is pretty stunning have been there a few times.

6/29/2021 2:32 pm  #99

No pool sports? Pretty brutal if it occurred. Separate practice facility studied the same way Hartford went D3? A long way from when GW was adding sports and looking to capitalize on squash for instance.  Seems to me the big dagger might be the floodgates opening as a result of the Supreme Court decision and costs related to NIL benefits. Might GW be D1 in name only?

6/29/2021 2:46 pm  #100

The important part of this story is effort to upgrade the basketball program.

GW does need to look hard at the program, the issues are much deeper than one transfer or whatever the contrivance of the moment is.  

Results dating back to Jarvis' departure, almost 25 years ago now, haven't been nearly good enough, despite a few brief upturns. Part of that is the facilities are not on par with other A10 programs.

Plenty of $ at this university, can build a few extra courts, better weightrooms etc.  Smith center also needs further upgrades.  The benefits of a good basketball program always far outweigh the costs.

Board footera