GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2021 2:25 pm  #141

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game Thread

Now JC is concerned, with 17 seconds left?

1/02/2021 2:27 pm  #142

This team has absolutely no clue how to play defense. Duquesne hadn't played a game in a month, and had only played two this season, and  they just shredded our "havoc" defense. The difference between the two teams: COACHING. In my opinion, never has a GW coach done so little with so much potential talent and size. Hard to watch!

1/02/2021 2:27 pm  #143

75-63. Please cancel tomorrow's game.

1/02/2021 2:28 pm  #144

Hope Dambrot felt sorry for JC and was giving free coaching advice in the post game chat.

1/02/2021 2:29 pm  #145

Horrendous shooting. If we hit 3 more 3s and 5 more FTs we win the game. That would've put us at 37.5% from 3 and 65% from the line. Both easily achievable. 

1/02/2021 2:29 pm  #146

A coach who doesn't know how to coach. Yep.

1/02/2021 2:30 pm  #147

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on playing Duquesne in about 24 hours on the same court after recapping this game. Will Duquesne win by more since they've just played? Does GW figure something out(hit free throws, defend!) and beat them tomorrow?

1/02/2021 2:33 pm  #148

1/02/2021 2:34 pm  #149

What you see is what you get.

Amazing how a team that moves the ball around the court and sticks to its defensive assignments can be successful. Who´d a thunk it?
Duques enter tomorrow´s game with a third more game time this season than they did today. Don´t think we can expect them to look as rusty in the first half tomorrow. Anyone wanting to know how deep the divide is between the conference´s lower-tier teams and its better ones should watch that game.
At least it is socially acceptable to drink at this hour on weekends. Vodka, take me away...

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (1/02/2021 2:36 pm)

1/02/2021 2:35 pm  #150

We did not defend their screening action well (poor rotations when we double teamed)

They defended our screening action well (Bishop needs to pass out of the double team much better)

We continue to be disinterested in 50/50 balls (long rebounds and balls on the floor)

And, of course, FTs

1/02/2021 2:37 pm  #151

My cyclical take on the Nelson and Jack transfers: the two guys most frustrated by Bishop’s ball and shot dominance are now gone.

1/02/2021 2:37 pm  #152

4 assists, 8 TOs and 46% FT shooting.  How did we win two games?
edit:   Actually I should be happy about "just" 8 TOs.

Last edited by BC (1/02/2021 4:57 pm)

1/02/2021 2:41 pm  #153

Meant “cynical”

1/02/2021 2:44 pm  #154

Even a numbnuts like Ronnie Thompson made 2 correct observation s about GW today.
One was that outside of Bishop and Battle and occasionally Moyer,  who can spark GW offensively vs Duquesne bench?
By running off Maceo and JNJ either actually or effectively in midseason,that's a really good question, as we just saw.

1/02/2021 3:32 pm  #155

The two takeaways that really need to be addressed:

1) On Offense, Bishop and Battle took 30 of the team's 50 FG attempts against Fordham, and 32 of the team's 55 FG attempts today.  One of the reasons we got away with this against Fordham is because they are terrible.  If opposing defenses work to take away James and Jamison, we are going to need more shots coming from the rest of the team.

2) On Defense, and I can not stress this enough, there is absolutely no point, zero, in double teaming a player unless you're going to make a real effort to steal the ball or otherwise force a turnover.  What I saw today were some of the most passive double teams ever.  Two defenders, hands straight up in the air, literally remaining motionless.  No attempt to grab the ball.  Duquesne spent the entire day successfully passing out of these double teams.  To cutters for easy baskets.  To open three point shooters.  To nearby players in order to reset their offense.  

2b) When our coaches watch the film of this one, they should count the number of points that Duquesne scored where there was no defender in between the scorer and the basket.  Just like in football when a speedy wide receiver gets behind the defense and the throw is on the money, that's 6 points.  Again and again, Duquesne players either beat us on fast breaks or received lob passes that resulted in easy baskets.

I am not as concerned about lousy free throw shooting or 3 point shooting.  Those percentages will vary from game to game and today was just a bad day.  These other items are things that really need to be corrected or teams will continue to take advantage as Duquesne did today.  

1/02/2021 4:22 pm  #156

The free throw shooting was obviously terrible, but my biggest takeaway was that our three-point shooting isn't going to get significantly better until we have more movement on offense. It didn't appear that we missed too many open looks from deep, and most of our three-point shots were contested well.  It's easier to clog driving lanes to the basket and close out on shooters when they're not moving from the spots where they initially set up on offense. With very little cutting to the basket, no baseline screens, etc we're making it too easy to defend us.

1/02/2021 4:38 pm  #157

Disappointed with some our players-but not bent out of shape-Talent on team is uneven.
My bigger disappointment is with the coaching.Maybe it’s just me-Did I buy the hype?
My expectation for a substantial improvement over Mojo has not been realized.I know it’s a work in progress
but so far not impressed.

1/02/2021 5:31 pm  #158

Someone please fill me in on Jameer Nelson's whereabouts.

1/02/2021 5:44 pm  #159

Luckily we won't play enough games this season to lose 20 again. Not much of a silver lining.

1/02/2021 6:14 pm  #160

That was perfectly awful.  4 assist?  If Bishop was Allen iverson , maybe I’d get it.  He isn’t.  Double teams resulting in nothing but open looks?  That’s mayhem??? 

Maybe there is a plan.  But I was first excited about JNJ and battle being the future.  That’s not it anymore.  Now maybe I’m excited about Bishop and Battle and some recruits, but man am I skeptical at the moment.

I have always prided myself on optimism and supporting coaches through everything.  After all, they know far more than I do about the sport and the internal workings of the team.  But outside of a few entertaining (maybe) individual players, I see no semblance of what a positive future looks like.  More disappointingly, watching iso ball and limited defense is just not entertaining.

Last edited by danjsport (1/02/2021 6:59 pm)

Board footera