GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2021 4:11 pm  #201

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game 2 Thread

Great win for a very young GW team! I think Bishop is great. He is not the problem. GW’s problem is that Bishop and Battle are great and Moyer is decent, but we have no other legit A10 starters.

1/03/2021 4:13 pm  #202

This time it was the bad guys who missed their FTs - 10 of 23.   Yaaaaaaa!

1/03/2021 4:14 pm  #203

GW0509 wrote:

The best thing about this game is the guys continue to get some positive vibes.  We could've been 3-0 had we made our FTs yesterday.  Hopefully our horrid OOC is now in the rearview mirror.

UMass will be a tough one with Mitchell down low.  Hope we can get him in foul trouble early.

The flip side of that 509 is that we could have been 1-2 if Duquesne made their free throws today.  They were every bit as bad from the line today as we were yesterday.

1/03/2021 4:15 pm  #204

Even if foul call or not, what would have been last play before Dua turnover was more hero ball that did n t work out well.And we would be up in arms.
What worked out well was passing to an open Bishop in a team play. Could have worked with Battle,too.

1/03/2021 4:19 pm  #205

Please don't confuse much of what everyone (especially myself) says during the game with serious analysis.  We are a small group of fanatics that get caught up in the game and react emotionally to what has just transpired on the Court.   Also, remember the old sports adage, that a team is never as good as you think they are when they win nor as bad as you think they are when they lose.   The same can probably be said about the individuals on the team also.

1/03/2021 4:21 pm  #206

Upon watching the replay, that was a big push off to Carey’s chest that got Bishop space for the three.  Evens out with the slap to the wrist.

1/03/2021 4:28 pm  #207

Bonaventure next. They are TOUGH.

1/03/2021 4:29 pm  #208

BM wrote:

Upon watching the replay, that was a big push off to Carey’s chest that got Bishop space for the three. Evens out with the slap to the wrist.

Haha probably would've been called Offensive Pass Interference.  Oh well, I'll take it!

1/03/2021 4:32 pm  #209

Why did Bishop need to be restrained after the game, anyone know? He was talking some mighty trash back at them Dooks.

1/03/2021 4:33 pm  #210

We had 7 offensive rebounds for the game.  Moyer had 6 and Brown had 1.

1/03/2021 4:33 pm  #211

Giants win on a fluke too. Way too many tight games this year. But a win is a win. 

1/03/2021 4:33 pm  #212

jf wrote:

Is Larry Lembo officiating?

No. If Larry Lembo were officiating, instead of no foul being called on the slap play, a foul would have been called... on Bishop.
I still have lots of bile for that guy and his buddy Lean-in Greer...

1/03/2021 4:34 pm  #213

What great play from Battle, Moyer, Bishop, and Brelsford today.  Congrats on the win guys!  Moyer had 15 rebounds!  Battle 7 rebounds.  Bishop 7 assists.  Team was 14-18 from the stripe today.  Well played guys.  UMass at home next, and then our schedule gets really tough.  Severe underdogs in the next six games after UMass.

1/03/2021 4:37 pm  #214

Free Quebec wrote:

When you watch Weathers, you realize our team doesn’t have a single power player. Maybe JC will never recruit a power guy instead of finesse guys, but we could sure use one.

I recently rewatched our NCAA game against Memphis and Larsen-Zeke-Garino was such a badass frontline. Rugged, good passers, could finish.

1/03/2021 4:43 pm  #215

Great win. Actually had a decent defensive set on the last shot. Look what happens when you make foul shots. I agree about Bishop, Battle, Moyer, and Brelsford playing well today. Most A 10 teams will beat us up on the boards. Parr needs to figure it out. I though the touch pass from Ball to Moyer and then dunk was a great play.

1/03/2021 4:45 pm  #216

BM wrote:

Upon watching the replay, that was a big push off to Carey’s chest that got Bishop space for the three.  Evens out with the slap to the wrist.

I saw that too. 

Carry had a horrible game 1 and in game 2 he shot 2–9 from the field, had the turnover that gave us the ball back (when Bishop joined Moyer for the trap), and gave up the game winning three after Bishop muscled him off. 

He’s not going to be sad that he’s done with gw this year

1/03/2021 4:57 pm  #217

Say what you want about Bishop and his ball dominance, but he wants the ball in clutch situations. Need a guy like that.

1/03/2021 5:07 pm  #218

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Please don't confuse much of what everyone (especially myself) says during the game with serious analysis.  We are a small group of fanatics that get caught up in the game and react emotionally to what has just transpired on the Court.   Also, remember the old sports adage, that a team is never as good as you think they are when they win nor as bad as you think they are when they lose.   The same can probably be said about the individuals on the team also.

Sorry LSF, no such luck.  I will refrain from calling out poster names, but some of you really ought to feel ashamed of yourselves.  I have finished reading the running commentary of this game and am flat out disgusted.  If I were convinced that some of you were a bunch of 12 year olds, then maybe I'd understand it better.  The treatment that James Bishop received throughout this game is inexcusable, unforgiveable, and in several instances, just plain erroneous to begin with.  I'll also point out that Free Quebec was the only poster that was calling out this inappropriateness at the time it was happening.  So my disappointment extends to those of you (aside from FQ) who apparently felt it was fine for James to be personally belittled while failing to comment about that.  Ignoring this behavior is certainly better than contributing towards it, but failing to rail against it is not exactly admirable.

I am not suggesting nor have I ever suggested that our players should be immune from criticism.  However, this criticism should always be constructive and never personal.  I have called into question James's decision making abilities from the point guard position as well as some selfish tendencies which by the way, have all substantially improved since conference play has begun.  I know what it's like to respond emotionally during a game.  But as we all should know, there ought to be and in fact IS a line which in my view, was crossed today.

James is arguably the most talented player on this team.  It would be hard to argue that he's not in the top two.  Players like this do take it upon themselves to serve as "alpha dogs."   They are unafraid to have the ball in their hands with the game on the line.  James's talent, in my opinion, is very different than say Jair Bolden's talent level, which made things very frustrating whenever Jair played as if he had to attempt to be the hero at crunch time.  Yet, despite my feelings for Jair's game, not once did I ever lob a personal insult at him.

Some of you may have been so intent on trashing James today that you may not have noticed that the guy put on  a passing clinic during the first half today.  Practically all of his assists were highly skilled passes which led to easy buckets.  And yet, there was still the same shit being posted about being a ball hog and not being a team player and being lazy and the nerve of this guy, allowing the ball to be stripped from him as if this never happens in the sport to anyone else.      

It was mentioned that one would hope James realizes that winning the game is more important than his scoring 20 points.  What is that based on?  Did anyone have an actual conversation with the young man and came away feeling that he cares more about his own stats than wins and losses?  If nobody had a conversation with him, then is it fair to even suggest that this is a realistic possibility?

As presumably grown men, do you really believe it's wise to refer to our players as idiots, unmotivated, lazy, or horrible?

Seriously, those of you who are in this boat really ought to know better.

1/03/2021 5:23 pm  #219

GW mayhem-you are over -the-top also. It hurts an otherwise interesting post that brings up a topic
worthy of discussion.

1/03/2021 5:28 pm  #220

I concur Mayhem.  It's Victory Sunday everybody! Would it be so hard to have 12 hours of uninterrupted irrational optimism?

Board footera