GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/30/2019 10:44 am  #1

Are we doomed to repeat our failed past?

I say no.

A couple of posters contacted me about the tone of the board, which of late has included some conflicting opinions, and I imagine these will not be the last to do so.  Message boards ultimately are about sharing of information and provoking intelligent debate.  

I urge everyone to stick to those two purposes.  I believe we (the fans) have a role in recruiting and retention of our players (and thus impact the success of the team).  I hated the old message board; that's why I created this one.  I can only imagine what players (past, current, and future) thought about GW when they visited GWHoops.com.  I'm not saying that we are the reason players choose GW, but I do think it would be silly to believe that all things being equal in a player's mind that fan involvement, behavior, and engagement isn't a factor.

GW Athletics, GW Basketball, and GW as a University are all evolving into what they want to be.  What is past is past and can't be ignored, but past does not need to be prologue to repeating the same mistakes or failures that may have occurred.

This message board should be the same.  I believe that we should discuss the past in reference to the future.  We should embrace the things we're happy about, question the things we're not, and inspire greater fan engagement.  For each person on this board, that may mean something different.  I had one rule for registration (Don't be an ass!) and I stand by that.  Everything else is productive, and that's good.

Thanks to all for embracing this new board so quickly.  I have been quick to get rid of the ridiculous number of Bots (about 50 in all that have registered) and want this site to be great for us, great for the University, and while we're at it...a ton of fun for all of us.

would love to get to know some of you personally if you care to share who you are in any way.  I never liked the anonymity of the other site, and I'll be the first to share a bit about myself.  Others can follow suit if they feel like it.  If not, that's cool, too.

Thank to all for keeping the site a great place to be.

Barry Feil
Board Administrator
Class of '88 (ok, '89 if you get technical about that one class I had to finish)
Former Event Director at GW Athletics (1989-98, the guy with the clipboard running around the arena)
The Guy who chaperoned 10 buses to Penn State for the A-10 Championship and two buses to Indiana University for the NCAA Soccer Tournament, only to see GW lose both times (and I would do it again!)

Last edited by BGF (10/30/2019 12:01 pm)

10/31/2019 5:49 am  #2

Re: Are we doomed to repeat our failed past?

Thanks for creating the Board and for your thoughtful post.

10/31/2019 6:50 am  #3

Barry

I was on one of those buses to Penn State - what a blast. With the one win season still in my memory, it was the basketball moment of my time at GW.

As bad as it has been the past few years, the final Kuester Era years far surpassed the current depths.  I remember a post game comment during one game when we passed the ball to the player waiting to come in the game by the scorers table.  I believe he said “Best pass we made all game”

Pat
GW 91

10/31/2019 3:06 pm  #4

BGF wrote:

I say no.

A couple of posters contacted me about the tone of the board, which of late has included some conflicting opinions, and I imagine these will not be the last to do so.  Message boards ultimately are about sharing of information and provoking intelligent debate.  

I urge everyone to stick to those two purposes.  I believe we (the fans) have a role in recruiting and retention of our players (and thus impact the success of the team).  I hated the old message board; that's why I created this one.  I can only imagine what players (past, current, and future) thought about GW when they visited GWHoops.com.  I'm not saying that we are the reason players choose GW, but I do think it would be silly to believe that all things being equal in a player's mind that fan involvement, behavior, and engagement isn't a factor.

GW Athletics, GW Basketball, and GW as a University are all evolving into what they want to be.  What is past is past and can't be ignored, but past does not need to be prologue to repeating the same mistakes or failures that may have occurred.

This message board should be the same.  I believe that we should discuss the past in reference to the future.  We should embrace the things we're happy about, question the things we're not, and inspire greater fan engagement.  For each person on this board, that may mean something different.  I had one rule for registration (Don't be an ass!) and I stand by that.  Everything else is productive, and that's good.

Thanks to all for embracing this new board so quickly.  I have been quick to get rid of the ridiculous number of Bots (about 50 in all that have registered) and want this site to be great for us, great for the University, and while we're at it...a ton of fun for all of us.

would love to get to know some of you personally if you care to share who you are in any way.  I never liked the anonymity of the other site, and I'll be the first to share a bit about myself.  Others can follow suit if they feel like it.  If not, that's cool, too.

Thank to all for keeping the site a great place to be.

Barry Feil
Board Administrator
Class of '88 (ok, '89 if you get technical about that one class I had to finish)
Former Event Director at GW Athletics (1989-98, the guy with the clipboard running around the arena)
The Guy who chaperoned 10 buses to Penn State for the A-10 Championship and two buses to Indiana University
for the NCAA Soccer Tournament, only to see GW lose both times (and I would do it again!)

I agree with the sentiment and I believe there was a poster (who shall remain nameless but who was respected by many and hated by others) who frequently made this point on the previous board. Hopefully, we can heed your words this time because I think you and that former poster are/were spot on about how these message boards provide a window in to the soul of the fan base. Thank you for this board. Let's Go GW!

11/02/2019 8:56 pm  #5

BGF wrote:

The Guy who chaperoned 10 buses to Penn State for the A-10 Championship and two buses to Indiana University for the NCAA Soccer Tournament, only to see GW lose both times (and I would do it again!)

While your role organizing the bus trip to Indiana cannot be denied or diminished, if you "chaperoned" that trip then you would have gotten the cheerleaders to shut the fuck up sometime around the West Virginia panhandle! But you will forever know where it´s at...

11/03/2019 7:50 am  #6

GWAA, You are so correct. While I did chaperone the trip, I never said I did a good job…

Board footera