GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2021 3:53 pm  #161

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

Free Quebec wrote:

Did Byron Kerr really just call that out of control fadeaway by Moyer a good look?

Sad!

1/13/2021 3:54 pm  #162

Indeed,GW 73.
Once again, if you are not 6'9 and from Denmark, it may not be a goid strategy to let the double team come to you.

1/13/2021 3:55 pm  #163

Let the historical record show that with 3:02 left in the 2nd half and the score VCU 76- GW 66 the House of Representatives began voting to impeach for the second time President Donald J Trump. I want the historical record to take GWU in to account, especially since credible performances against VCU are as common as impeachments of President Trump.

1/13/2021 3:56 pm  #164

Love Moyer s aggressive Ness,but nervous every time he dribbles

1/13/2021 3:56 pm  #165

2 assists 7 turnovers. 

1/13/2021 3:57 pm  #166

why is bishop so slow taking the ball up???

1/13/2021 3:58 pm  #167

Bishop has 22. Feel much better he hits the numbers

1/13/2021 3:58 pm  #168

The difference between our press and theirs is laughable.

1/13/2021 4:00 pm  #169

VCU created its own Havoc on inbounds

1/13/2021 4:00 pm  #170

While it's been less than fun to watch GW turn the ball over time and time again, I am not going to hold it against them too much given that: 1. VCU has historically owned us and 2. even ML's teams had issues with Havoc.  It seemingly takes a very veteran team to be able to handle VCU's pressure, something this team decidedly is not. 

What gives me hope is it seems like Bishop, Brelsford, and Lindo are extremely pissed at VCU's players.  I want our guys to be as annoyed at VCU as we fans are.  I remember Pato and JoeMac talking about how it was one of their goals by senior year to beat VCU at the Seigel Center.  Hope it will become the same for this group.

Last edited by GW0509 (1/13/2021 4:03 pm)

1/13/2021 4:02 pm  #171

Damn I should have bet GW.

1/13/2021 4:02 pm  #172

fungerhall wrote:

why is bishop so slow taking the ball up???

Because JC allows him to do whatever he wants.  Same reason he is a little slow on defense at times.

1/13/2021 4:04 pm  #173

GW0509 wrote:

While it's been less than fun to watch GW turn the ball over time and time again, I am not going to hold it against them too much given that: 1. VCU has historically owned us and 2. even ML's teams only beat VCU twice total.  It seemingly takes a very veteran GW team to be able to handle VCU's pressure, something this team decidedly is not. 

What gives me hope is it seems like Bishop, Brelsford, and Lindo seem extremely pissed at VCU.  Hopefully that anger carries over the next few years and we start to play them much tougher.  I remember Pato and JoeMac talking about how it was one of their goals by senior year to beat VCU at the Seigel Center.  Hope it will become the same for this group.

Yep.  Without Battle, this was an especially tall order.

What I’m most pleased about - aside from seeing Lindo is a player - is that we are competing so much better than we did early in the year.  There seems to be a level of effort and determination (especially on D and the boards) that just wasn’t there early in the season.

1/13/2021 4:04 pm  #174

GW0509 wrote:

While it's been less than fun to watch GW turn the ball over time and time again, I am not going to hold it against them too much given that: 1. VCU has historically owned us and 2. even ML's teams had issues with Havoc.  It seemingly takes a very veteran team to be able to handle VCU's pressure, something this team decidedly is not. 

What gives me hope is it seems like Bishop, Brelsford, and Lindo are extremely pissed at VCU's players.  I want our guys to be as annoyed at VCU as we fans are.  I remember Pato and JoeMac talking about how it was one of their goals by senior year to beat VCU at the Seigel Center.  Hope it will become the same for this group.

Agree. It is good to see our guys get mad about how we are not winning. 

1/13/2021 4:05 pm  #175

Also, without Battle we still covered.

1/13/2021 4:07 pm  #176

I like the idea of some sandpaper. Hope Battle is ok and that some day we play like a team and team that’s hard to ply.

1/13/2021 4:09 pm  #177

We all know what the negatives of this game were so I'd like to point out some things I saw that make me optimistic:

1. Turnovers aside, Lindo looked fantastic. High motor, good rebounder, active hands, and a leader on the court
2. Brelsford, for the most part, looked fairly composed. He had the one TO where he picked up his dribble but besides that he looked good. Shot the ball well from 3, rebounded well, and found the open man multiple times.
3. Moyer's motor is non-stop. Sometimes this leads to him being out of control, but he's so active on the boards
4. Bishop was 13-15 from the FT line. The first few games I thought he'd shoot around 60% for the season. If he can keep that up he'll hit his 20 point threshold every game.
5. Seymour hit his two 3-pointers where he could actually get his feet set.
6. Noel Brown provided some decent defense down low. He's raw, but the potential is definitely there.
7. We covered the spread even without Battle playing (I saw anywhere from -9.5 to -11.5)

Last edited by MG14 (1/13/2021 4:09 pm)

1/13/2021 4:10 pm  #178

Good: Forced 20 turnovers.
Bad: Made 23 turnovers.
Conclusion: Havoc top Mayhem.

Good: 11 offensive rebounds despite shooting over 40%
Bad: Opponent shot over 50%, including lots and lots of open dunks.
Conclusion: This team is getting eaten alive inside.

Good: 14 steals
Bad: 10 assists to 23 turnovers and just 13 points off VCU´s 20 turnovers.
Conclusion: Team shows its youth with poor ball movement and sloppy play.

1/13/2021 4:13 pm  #179

Free Quebec wrote:

Also, without Battle we still covered.

And that is the conundrum of Battle.   He is a wonderful offensive player...as good as I have seen at GW in a long time, however we still scored 77 points without him.   That is a good number of points.   Conversely, with him in the game, VCU still scores 84.

1/13/2021 4:43 pm  #180

Good year not being scheduled to play VCU twice.  Just a terrible match-up for this team.  

I am actually still cold from the draft which resulted from the backdoor being wide open all afternoon.

Someone said that this isn't a good matchup to try and outscore someone but folks, this is becoming our M.O.  It's not lockdown defense.  it's not mayhem by any definition.  It's playing at a fast pace, it's shooting early into possessions, it's full speed basketball that results in lots of drives, turnovers and trips to the line.  Three point shooting?  I thought this was supposed to be part of the equation.  This might have been a different game had we shot 12-30 from 3 rather than 6-15.

If you watched Ricky play at all while at Maryland, you knew this was a player to get excited about.  6-8 from the floor, 13 points, 12 rebounds and 5 steals in his debut.  Outstanding.

It was only fitting that this officiating crew, which improved some in the second half, fouled out Ricky on about the worst imaginable call impossible.

What we could really use is Hunter Dean in Chase Paar's body.  Chase just doesn't sacrifice his body at all.  Has he ever tried to take a charge?  He is a gifted offensive player who struggles badly on defense.  As well as Matt and Ricky played together today, both were guilty of not offering Chase some help on all of these backdoor points.

Speaking of Hunter, he commits 4 fouls in 2 minutes of play.  That will get you noticed in the box score.

As discussed in my game preview post, VCU played 11 guys a minimum of 11 minutes apiece.  Bones played 33 minutes, Baldwin 30, and nobody else played more than 25 minutes.  By contrast, GW had 4 starters play a minimum of 30 minutes, Tyler off the bench played 31, Lincoln played 13, and no other GW player reached double figures in minutes.  Guess which team was fresher?  Unless your 6 GW players are named Zeek, Creek, Joe, KevLar, Pato and Kethan, it's going to be tough to hang with these guys.

All in all, a very good effort today.   

Board footera