GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2021 9:06 pm  #1

Some bad press on Twitter

Beware this may be someone with an agenda. Who knows the truth

Posted by @CoachingChanges

Ok so the dust has settled.
Jermion Christian at GW fires Nima for not wearing a mask at a restaurant. Hires replacement recently, Erik Atkins from Howard who brought in Purdue transfer Nojel Eastern, who never qualified. Now there is some investigation w another staffer at GW.

Obviously this is not confirmed. Either way it’s not good to have this being posted.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (1/30/2021 9:28 pm)

1/30/2021 9:24 pm  #2

Re: Some bad press on Twitter

BTW the account blocked me after I questioned why they wouldn't sign their name to a post like that rather than hiding behind an account. 

But here is the next post from them.
Apparently the account is controlled by several people in the coaching world. Each of them has control to post

As II said, it could have some truth to it or it could be someone looking to hurt GW. No name attached to the posts  

Coaching Changes[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges]@CoachingChanges·23m Which of the following are true of Jameson Christian and George Washington Basketball????[color=inherit]Banned staff from coffee[/color][color=inherit]Alumni hate JC[/color][color=inherit]All of the above[/color][color=inherit]109 votes[/color]=inherit·[color=inherit]23 hours left[/color]

Last edited by Florida Colonial (1/30/2021 9:34 pm)

1/30/2021 10:16 pm  #3

Anyone have a clue what the investigation of a GW staffer is about?

1/30/2021 10:58 pm  #4

Florida Colonial wrote:

Beware this may be someone with an agenda. Who knows the truth

Obviously this is not confirmed. Either way it’s not good to have this being posted.

With all due respect, your first and last lines are a great word of caution to us all.  This board, and the public in general, are quick to follow a rumor.  Sometimes they're true and sometimes not.  I urge everyone to follow the facts in this and every other situation.

I certainly know nothing and therefore will not otherwise comment on this.

B.

Last edited by BGF (1/30/2021 10:58 pm)

1/30/2021 11:11 pm  #5

"Jermion" 

Why is this a thread? A clown tweeting isn't "bad press"   Does this really merit a thread? why reward this?

Last edited by The Dude (1/30/2021 11:28 pm)

1/31/2021 7:34 am  #6

If Barry would like to delete or freeze this thread I wouldn’t be offended.  The reason I posted it is because CoachingChanges is actually a fairly well followed Twitter handle and I thought those on the board would want to know what was being said. As I mentioned the account is handled anonymously by several people in the coaching circle so could entirely be someone with an agenda and that’s why I stated that in my original post.  Given where some people like to take these threads I’m probably going to regret posting this.

1/31/2021 11:00 am  #7

FC, don't regret posting a thread about a twitter account that has been posted on the board in the past.  Just because Dude doesn't agree with something doesn't make it right.  If they take the thread to places it shouldn't go, that is their problem.

Thanks for the info. 

1/31/2021 11:12 am  #8

Despite the vindictive and somewhat trolling nature of the Coaching Changes twitter feed, it does appear to have some credibility because its controlled by several guys in the coaching world as Florida Colonial wrote. I don't think this thread should be deleted or locked because the information on coaching changes is available for everyone to see, its not necessarily violating anyone's privacy. Also, they seem to target/discuss every school, its not like they just focus on GW. GW just happened to be mentioned yesterday

About what was written about GW, Howard signing Purdue transfer Nojel Eastern was a huge pick up for them, I thought he wasn't playing because of an injury, not that he never qualified. I didn't know that Eric Atkins was the assistant who recruited him to Howard, but it makes sense considering he was an assistant at Notre Dame and is probably very familiar with N.Eastern. For what its worth, I saw on N.Eastern's twitter that he declared for the NBA draft about a month ago, he cited COVID concerns and the uncertainty of the season as the reasons why. 

About the other stuff mentioned about GW, Nima got fired and NOBODY(not even the GW insider who posts here) has given an explanation as to what happened. Firing a high-ranking assistant for not wearing a mask at a restaurant seems like an overreaction to me, but with the seriousness of COVID, I can understand why JC would do it, if it were true. As for another GW staffer being investigated, we'll have to see if whether someone gets suspended or fired in the upcoming days or weeks. 

1/31/2021 11:33 am  #9

That would be a REALLY stupid reason to fire a top recruiter if true.

1/31/2021 1:12 pm  #10

Let's put a couple of things to rest here before we reach the old adage that a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth catches up with it.

First, Nima was not fired solely or mostly for refusing to wear a mask in a restaurant. That is straight bullshit. That's all I'm going to say. .

Second, the post insinuates that Eric Atkins tried to get a Purdue transfer into GW. As Thomas states it was Howard and not GW and has nothing to do with GW. 

Third, probably the craziest thing in the post is the concept of another investigation. There is currently no investigation. But Coaching Changes ironically ratted themselves out by stating "another investigation". I wonder what the first investigation was about and who was investigated lol. I guess we will never know unless Coaching Changes tells us.

BTW, you can't take anything too seriously from Coaching Changes when they can't get the name of the coach right in two different tweets. 

Last edited by GWRising (1/31/2021 1:15 pm)

1/31/2021 2:10 pm  #11

OK, boys...let me clarify:  I will never delete or freeze a topic that I don't like or that I think has the potential to cause problems.  I'll only do so if and when it crosses over into attacks, abuse, or conduct by members of the board detrimental to our already somewhat dysfunctional GW Hoops family. 

That being said, if this starts referencing past coaches, past program controversies, and past scandals, this will immediately get moved to the Rewind section where anyone who feels they want to re-debate things from the past can do so.  Rewind is where alternate facts can be debated and the troll-like tendencies of members can be exerted without any serious ramifications (until or unless the attacks go to far).

For me, I'm proud to be in a country where facts can be presented by and on various news platforms and even Twitter, where opinions can be voiced due to our constitutional right to do so, and where we can come to our own opinions about what is really going on (here or elsewhere).  

BUT...Right now, this is just appearing to be somebody who has sour grapes putting something out there and seeing what may surface.  If this comes out as being wholly true, I would be incredibly surprised (and disappointed).  There are two sides (or more) to every story, and this seems like a very biased one that is worthy of being ignored in the same way I ignore anything that comes out of the mouths of reality stars and Kanye West.

Just sayin'.

B.

Last edited by BGF (1/31/2021 2:12 pm)

1/31/2021 8:05 pm  #12

press not = twitter. 

The press would not write a story like this without asking and reporting more than this.

2/01/2021 5:08 am  #13

they would...and have done so. 

Last edited by Mike K (2/01/2021 5:10 am)

2/01/2021 8:28 am  #14

I think the original post is good. Hey this out there but I have doubts are here is why. I find the allegation regarding Nima highly unlikely but not laughable because it’s not as though crazy petty stuff never happens at GW.

2/01/2021 9:07 am  #15

Were it labeled "Internet rumour" and not "bad press" I don´t think people would object to the thread. Internet rumours are just that-- they might be true or they might be as believable as saying the peodofile lizard aliens can be stopped by storming the Capitol.

2/01/2021 9:22 am  #16

I can't begin to speculate on whether this is true.  GWrising saying that Nima was not fired only or mostly because of a mask indicates that, at least to some degree, he was fired because he did not wear a mask.  I, personally, believe that's a fireable offense, given that it puts the kids in danger, if nothing else.  

Whether there's "another" investigation or not--I sure hope not.  Whether it's a first investigation or a second or third is of no import to me.  Any investigation is bad.  Let's hope this is just internet rumor.

2/01/2021 10:41 am  #17

Since the start of the pandemic, I have seen Nima wear a mask.  That is not to say that he couldn't have refused to wear one in a restaurant.  It is to say that he clearly is not one to refuse to wear masks at all times.

Next, this post was definitely made from the point of view of defending Nima.  The same can be said when the initial news broke on this same site.  I am all for the truth coming out and if Nima has been unfairly treated in all of this, I'd like to understand how and why.  That said, I am very uncomfortable over the manner in which these recent posts were conveyed.  Do they really not know Jamion's name or are they getting it wrong (twice) on purpose?  What does the Atkins/Eastern story have anything to do with Nima?  I did not take this to mean that Eric tried to land him at GW.  Am really unsure what it has to do at all with GW.

If I'm Nima, I'd be careful to control who is saying what narrative about me.  While it may be nice to have people defending you, this should be done professionally if at all.  

Finally, putting aside the other reasons Nima may have been dismissed, I do think the mask issue is an interesting one.  The small consensus seems to feel it's a weak reason (by itself) to be let go.  I'd be curious to hearing whether any of these circumstances, all speculative and none accusatory, would make a difference:

1) What if Nima was representing GW during this meal?  As opposed to a meal during his private off hours.

2) What if Nima had repeatedly been told by TV, JC, or someone else in authority to wear a mask while in public, and he refused to out of principle (liberties being violated)?

3) Is there a circumstance you can think of where Nima should without question have been terminated for not wearing a mask at a restaurant?  Is there one where he should have retained his position without question?

Fair or unfair, speculative or fact-based, additional reasons for being released or not, I do find this to be an interesting discussion.

2/01/2021 11:09 am  #18

I get why Coaching Changes is focusing on the (lack of) mask wearing. What was the old saying? A little inaccuracy saves a world of explanation.

Gwmayhem, your third paragraph is very appropriate here. 

2/01/2021 11:56 am  #19

danjsport wrote:

I can't begin to speculate on whether this is true.  GWrising saying that Nima was not fired only or mostly because of a mask indicates that, at least to some degree, he was fired because he did not wear a mask.  I, personally, believe that's a fireable offense, given that it puts the kids in danger, if nothing else.  

Whether there's "another" investigation or not--I sure hope not.  Whether it's a first investigation or a second or third is of no import to me.  Any investigation is bad.  Let's hope this is just internet rumor.

Agreed.  If that’s really the primary reason (doubtful, but who knows), I would actually respect JC more for putting health and safety first.  Too many coaches play fast and loose and with their kids’ well-being.

2/01/2021 12:05 pm  #20

Personally I think the shot at Atkins speaks volumes about the motivation of the individual posting at Coaching Changes. BTW Eastern was originally transferring to Michigan and was told after the announcement that his Purdue major credits did not transfer to Michigan. This was a topic that was taken up by Dickie V and others who slammed Michigan. BTW I had the chance to listen to Eric Atkins speak during an introduction zoom call and he seems like a wonderful kid and will be a real positive to the program.

Board footera