GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2021 2:09 pm  #1

Upcoming Schedule

Team just announced the Feb 13th game against La Salle is PPD.  Next currently scheduled game is Feb 17th against SJU. https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1359579864731426823

2/10/2021 2:26 pm  #2

Re: Upcoming Schedule

There are only 5 games left on the schedule (as of now). If the SJU game is cancelled, is there really any reason to play out the rest of the season? I know this has been discussed in another thread and I don't intend to cause any sort of uproar.

2/10/2021 2:37 pm  #3

I think GW is facing tremendous pressure from the A-10 to finish the season. That's all I am going to say on that.

However, I would also caution that from GW's perspective this is not just about the number of games left but also potentially the number of players who would be available to play at any point during the the remainder of the season. That number is likely going to be less (and may fluctuate) than the current number of players on the roster. If so, there is both a competitiveness and non-COVID safety issue to be addressed if less than the full complement of players must play scheduled league games plus makeups. It is my understanding that you must have at least 7 players suited up and available to play. Not sure how many we will have yet.

2/10/2021 3:46 pm  #4

Does Drew Dixon still have any eligibility left?

2/11/2021 7:55 am  #5

The season should be stopped.  At least for GW.  They haven’t played in ages.  They have at least one case where a “student-athlete” is in the hospital with Covid.  There is no reason to continue.  Pressure from the A—10 to continue just highlights the money grab here

2/11/2021 12:11 pm  #6

danjsport wrote:

The season should be stopped. At least for GW. They haven’t played in ages. They have at least one case where a “student-athlete” is in the hospital with Covid. There is no reason to continue. Pressure from the A—10 to continue just highlights the money grab here

Agree.
Many of us didn't want the season to begin with. Even rabid fans like me. 
At least now there's a fig leaf: The fewer games we play, the fewer we will lose.
I bet the announcement comes before the weekend.

2/11/2021 12:52 pm  #7

Can we cancel all remaining games except for St Joe's and Fordham to have a shot at 5 wins for the season?

2/11/2021 12:58 pm  #8

Mentzinger wrote:

danjsport wrote:

The season should be stopped. At least for GW. They haven’t played in ages. They have at least one case where a “student-athlete” is in the hospital with Covid. There is no reason to continue. Pressure from the A—10 to continue just highlights the money grab here

Agree.
At least now there's a fig leaf: The fewer games we play, the fewer we will lose.

I am not sure that GW has decided yet and I wouldn't bet one way or the other at the moment.

That said, and I am not looking to start any debate (but rather see how strong these feelings are about the risks and rewards), if our record was say 9-3 right now and we had a real shot at the NCAA tournament for the first time in 7 years, would you feel the same way about shutting down the season? Or would you feel GW would have the right (or perhaps obligation to its players who want to continue) in that case to make a different decision given that it started the season?

Last edited by GWRising (2/11/2021 12:58 pm)

2/11/2021 1:17 pm  #9

if our record was say 9-3 right now and we had a real shot at the NCAA tournament for the first time in 7 years, would you feel the same way about shutting down the season?
Yes

Or would you feel GW would have the right (or perhaps obligation to its players who want to continue) in that case to make a different decision given that it started the season?
GW has the "right" to do whatever it wants, such as admitting basketball players who do not possess HS diplomas or allowing its AD to stalk players and plant libelous stories in national media.
What it would do in this hypothetical? Hard to say. As I surmised above, I think the bias to play is stronger when you're good.
Either way, I think we can agree GW is extremely poor at assessing risk-reward, as the dozens of PR scandals in only the past 20 years, athletic and not, would attest.

2/11/2021 2:07 pm  #10

GWRising wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

danjsport wrote:

Agree.

I am not sure that GW has decided yet and I wouldn't bet one way or the other at the moment.

That said, and I am not looking to start any debate (but rather see how strong these feelings are about the risks and rewards), if our record was say 9-3 right now and we had a real shot at the NCAA tournament for the first time in 7 years, would you feel the same way about shutting down the season? Or would you feel GW would have the right (or perhaps obligation to its players who want to continue) in that case to make a different decision given that it started the season?

If our record was 13-0 I'd feel exactly the same way.  Putting kids at risk so that non-kids can make money makes no sense.  Putting a whole bunch of kids in the same "bubble" for the purposes of the conferences, ADs, and schools making money.  No thanks.  GW has already failed its obligation to its players by agreeing to play through this.  

2/11/2021 2:27 pm  #11

2/11/2021 2:39 pm  #12

Howard cashed in its chips on this season already. Then again, after (an albeit shorter) pause, the women´s team is supposed to restart its season this weekend.
This season was always going to have a big, fat asterisk next to it anyways. Much like KH´s first season and the interim season of MoJoBall(tm), does this season count in our overall evaluation of Cristian?

2/11/2021 3:08 pm  #13

I don't have a strong opinion, on the matter, certainly can see an argument for shutting down all amateur athletics.

That being said, all across the country amateur athletics are going on, it seems odd to say to college athletes "you can't play" but middle school, elementary school, HS teams, go ahead, just no college athletics.  

So far, the college season across the board, has gone on about as expected, a lot of cancellations but most teams are getting in most of the season.  Should they be?  IDK, but they are.

2/11/2021 3:39 pm  #14

Just cancel remainder of the season for both basketball programs...

2/11/2021 3:56 pm  #15

If the players want to play GW should consider it. If not forget it.
But in the main cancel. 1) Safety, 2) injuries due to long layoff and 3) resources

2/11/2021 6:00 pm  #16

Since I asked the question, I should give my answer.

Where we are now, I would cancel for all the aforementioned reasons.

If we were headed to the NCAAs my answer would change only slightly. IF the players wanted to play and IF the coaches wanted to play and IF GW could place them in a bubble or find a way to get them vaccinated, my answer would change to let the players ultimately decide. However, since it is unlikely that a bubble or vaccine are available, it would probably be the same answer as if we had a losing record.

2/11/2021 6:55 pm  #17

I would cancel the rest of the season.

I would have no problem if there were a modified NCAA tourney in a bubble, only if the NCAA could find a location.  I'd have some NCAA committee select the the top 16 or 24 teams in the country and I would give each conference the right to nominate one of their teams not already selected by the committee to participate. And, as I suggested above, I'd do it in a bubble just like the NBA did.  Nobody get sick and there is no spread this way. The TV networks would pay a lot of money and it could get some money into the pockets of the greedy schools. And the players could still play and learn remotely.  And most importantly, everyone stay safe.

Last edited by 22ndandF (2/11/2021 7:00 pm)

2/11/2021 7:33 pm  #18

The CIT has been canceled.  Who knows- maybe all tournaments will be canceled.

2/11/2021 10:16 pm  #19

Guessing it will be over if parents prevail.
We were already down  3 players from midseason,coming back to haunt us.
Fred has it right, even if it is possible with a depleted roster. Safety first.
Not sure we should have at all started,but we actual!y were doing surprisingly well,until we didn't.

2/13/2021 12:04 pm  #20

Once college football was able to complete their season, the decision for college basketball was made, they are gonna get an entire season in no matter what. The NCAA is only focused on dollar signs!! The A-10 being a multiple bid league is probably why they don't want GW or any other school(like St.Louis) cancelling the season. Howard plays in the 1-bid MEAC conference and they weren't expected to be a contender, so cancelling the season wasn't going to upset any NCAA officials. 

Board footera