GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2021 8:34 pm  #61

Re: GW vs Rhode Island Game Thread

I just ran through the entire thread as well.  I know that we still have lots of problems, but I have maintained this program is on the rise.  With our Battle/Bishop/Lindo trio, plus the (hopefully) returning depth and next year's recruits, I feel pretty good.

For those who haven't read the thread, here are the best lines (as they relate to GW):

FAVORITE OVERALL POST:  "GW really, G effin W. Gotta go throw up now"

THE BEST "GRASS IS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE" POST:  "Do we want our roster the next 3 years or GWs?"

THE "YEAH, HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES" POST:  "Give me Bishop Battle and Lindo and GWs roster without question. Those 3 are legit."

THE "I THINK I'M READING MOST THREADS ON GWHOOPS" POST:  "Reading this thread is a clinical exercise in the very definition of masochism."

AND THE "WOW, THAT'S HARSH" POST:  "George Washington, a sorry ass, clownshoes, shit ass fucking program, went on a 15-2 run to end the game"

Raise High my friends.  Raise High.. 

Last edited by BGF (2/21/2021 8:34 pm)

2/21/2021 10:44 pm  #62

The URI fans choking on their calamari is pretty funny, but then again they did lose to a team that lost to Hampton and Fordham, lost three key returners, lost 35 days to COVID and had three of their few remaining players sit this one out. So I can understand how they can view that performace as being vomit-inducing.

2/21/2021 10:50 pm  #63

We didn’t lose to Fordham (this year).  We destroyed them.

2/21/2021 10:59 pm  #64

I think Battle and Bishop combined for 50+ in the Fordham game too.  

Might be the best young duo in the A10

2/22/2021 8:42 am  #65

Free Quebec wrote:

We didn’t lose to Fordham (this year). We destroyed them.

My bad (total brain fart). Meant UMBC and Navy and UNC-C and Delaware and...

If it is any consolation to the URI fans, GW also lost to William & Mary...

2/22/2021 11:44 am  #66

Knowing what I know about both schools ... the fandom reflects the coaching at URI or maybe it is vice versa. 

By the way, you had to love how Cox wore his face mask as a chinstrap the entire game. Seems like a real stand-up guy. They must be so proud of him at URI.

Last edited by GWRising (2/22/2021 12:36 pm)

2/22/2021 11:50 am  #67

Are we getting a game report from dmvpiranha? I hope so. Best posts on the board.

2/22/2021 11:55 am  #68

The Navy loss at least doesn't seem so bad right now.  What is Navy 13-2  14-2?

2/22/2021 2:25 pm  #69

I can't believe how negative the Rhode Island fans are.

2/22/2021 3:03 pm  #70

Seems to me that the TV announcers had a graphic that said Cox had the best first 3 year record of any URI coach.  Did I mishear-misread that?  If so, must be the New England weather that makes folks so cross.  Not that GW fans are saints.

Last edited by BC (2/22/2021 3:04 pm)

2/22/2021 3:16 pm  #71

That is true, and it is because Hurley left behind a lot of talent, Fatts Russel, Langevine, Jeff Dowtin etc.  

Also true, Navy is indeed 13-2.

2/22/2021 3:36 pm  #72

Navy is also the luckiest team in the country, according to kenpom. We're 352, aka one of the most unlucky.

2/23/2021 11:43 am  #73

One interesting stat regarding Navy's record is that 4 of their wins have been against American, whose record for the season is 2-4.  Both of American's wins have been against Loyola (MD), which Navy will play twice to close out the regular season, so Navy will likely end up with a 15-2 regular season record.

2/23/2021 1:47 pm  #74

the luck component, is based on what factors? margin of victory? other things?

2/23/2021 4:36 pm  #75

The Dude wrote:

the luck component, is based on what factors? margin of victory? other things?

kenpom's magic

I think it's basically a measure of a team's actual record versus their expected record based on their other ratings (offensive and defensive ratings, which is determined by a lot of variables). So Navy's expected record is worse than their actual record based on their ratings, and GW's expected record is better than our actual record. In short, Kenpom's algorithm thinks GW is a much better team than shown by record.

Last edited by Hugh (2/23/2021 4:38 pm)

2/27/2021 8:02 pm  #76

Interesting, thanks.  I thought KenPom's formula already accounted for all of that.

I was thinking it accounted for some things you can't really control like how your opponent shoots FT %  in a particular game and just general luck factors that the overall formula can't quite capture, but never sure what exactly

Board footera