GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2021 7:32 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Bonnies Game Thread

Brown needs to practice his free throws in the off season

2/26/2021 7:34 pm  #42

This one is going to be tough to pull out.

2/26/2021 7:37 pm  #43

It's actually pretty impressive that the Bonnies would've beaten us even if they scored 0 points in the second half.

2/26/2021 7:39 pm  #44

47 point loss. Worst ever A10 loss for GW?

2/26/2021 7:40 pm  #45

Now all these whiners need to get over it.
We kept it under 50!
Moral victory going into the tournament.
So there.

2/26/2021 7:43 pm  #46

I’m over it, and there’s no reason to call for a new coach, because we all know GW won’t pay for anyone better. Just gotta hope for a miracle turnaround!

2/26/2021 7:53 pm  #47

That was a beat down that makes the Vandy game in the NCAA´s or GA Tech´s visit to the Smith Center the 1-27 season look like nail-biters.
Basically, GW did a good job of putting on uniforms and running pre-game warm-up drills. After that, well Division I basketball may want to reconsider GW´s status. Coach Rizz called and said she wanted her team´s 2-13 3pt shooting back. And the interior defense was a liability, which was ok because the outside defense was terrible and at least that meant consistency. But no worries, the team was outrebounded by 12 so it all makes for a well-rounded performance.
Of course, this team could go on a 10 game winning streak and we will all be whining about the lack of urbane dining options in Indiana.

2/26/2021 8:01 pm  #48

DC Native wrote:

I’m over it, and there’s no reason to call for a new coach, because we all know GW won’t pay for anyone better. Just gotta hope for a miracle turnaround!

Guys we all know GW should've hired a "real coach". Someone like a Dave Paulsen, Billy Lange, or Jeff Neubauer.  You see, those guys had proven track records that JC just didn't have (never mind JC had the same number of NCAA tournament appearances as Paulsen and Neubauer did before getting an A-10 job).

2/26/2021 8:07 pm  #49

To be fair, while we did reasonably well against Mason first half, even Paulsen made adjustments and beat us despite being down 13 or so at the half.
But things are looking quite rosey

2/26/2021 8:11 pm  #50

Dave Paulsen's best posteason finish at Mason has been a first round knockout in the 2017 CBI.  Even Mojo won a CBI game.  I wouldn't trade Paulsen for JC.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/26/2021 8:29 pm)

2/26/2021 9:24 pm  #51

. Awful basketball, a few sentences of Post coverage, no TV unless the opponent warrants it, no nothing. We are literally nonexistent in area sports. If this is good enough for you, so be it but, after 55 years, count me out. If you don't demand excellence, you will get never it. 

2/26/2021 9:26 pm  #52

moneybox wrote:

. Awful basketball, a few sentences of Post coverage, no TV unless the opponent warrants it, no nothing. We are literally nonexistent in area sports. If this is good enough for you, so be it but, after 55 years, count me out. If you don't demand excellence, you will get never it. 

2/26/2021 10:29 pm  #53

For those who you who remain upbeat after the last 3 halves of basketball, I give you all the credit in the world.   What happened today should never happen, irrespective of the circumstances.   We looked like a not very good D-11 team out there.    I am not saying that we should have won or even, for that matter, kept it competitive for very long, but to lose by 47 to a conference opponent in front of no fans is inexcusable.    

2/26/2021 11:32 pm  #54

GW0509 wrote:

DC Native wrote:

Guys we all know GW should've hired a "real coach". Someone like a Dave Paulsen, Billy Lange, or Jeff Neubauer.  You see, those guys had proven track records that JC just didn't have (never mind JC had the same number of NCAA tournament appearances as Paulsen and Neubauer did before getting an A-10 job).

While JC took MSM to the NCAAs twice, one of those years they had a losing record and the other they were 20-16. Making the tourney at a low major conference does not mean you can do it in the A10. The inconvenient truth is that in 9 years as a head coach, JC has a losing record (134-142). Onward through the fog...

2/27/2021 7:35 am  #55

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I am not saying that we should have won or even, for that matter, kept it competitive for very long, but to lose by 47 to a conference opponent in front of no fans is inexcusable.    

Totally agree.  Inexcusable. That 1-27 team was horrible and seemed like it could barely bring the ball across mid court—but still seems like it would have fared better last night. 

You could tell the first several trips on offense that it was going to be a long night.  Lots of 1-5 play, except (as LSF noted) Dean getting the ball up high several times, taking one dribble, and doing nothing else as the Bonnie’s left him all alone.  He didn’t even pretend he wanted a shot.  Couldn’t he even be coached to take at least a look at the basket or even a feign a shot to keep the defense at least 1/4 honest? 

Bishop’s issue at the point is not a matter of talent—it’s overall vision.  He did have a few nice dishes low that were entirely fumbled by the receiver, but he has not grown into a true playmaker or field general and may never do so.  Yes, more taken around him would help, but does anyone feel he is the answer at PG?

And this leads back to JC—who seems to have his own vision of expectations and tries fitting square pegs into round holes. He though JNJ was the answer at the 1 and despite his talent, also lacked the ball handling skills to excel at the position. Even inexperienced point guards should not experience the number of careless turnovers we’ve witnessed over the past two years.  If this is a true rebuild, I’d put Brelsford at the point and look for opportunities of movement that allows Bishop a little more opportunity and space to create off passing as opposed to creating off the dribble where opponents will force him to his right.   

Again, not expecting a win last night—but we’ve seen some historic defeats these past two seasons that Mojo never had with lesser talent.

2/27/2021 8:20 am  #56

Hey, the loss wasn't by the largest margin in GW history. From the 1961-62 season: West Virginia 120, GW 68. But thank you to GW0509 for the great stat that if we had a held the Bonnies to zero points in the second half we still would have lost. Too funny or too sad. And too bad the administration doesn't seem to care about men's basketball. Five years of this and JC and Vogel will drive us out of the A-10 to lower level conference. 

2/27/2021 8:48 am  #57

Hell, dump basketball and bring back men's rowing and coed sailing--at least we were nationally ranked at times.

2/27/2021 9:41 am  #58

GW73 wrote:

Hey, the loss wasn't by the largest margin in GW history. From the 1961-62 season: West Virginia 120, GW 68. But thank you to GW0509 for the great stat that if we had a held the Bonnies to zero points in the second half we still would have lost. Too funny or too sad. And too bad the administration doesn't seem to care about men's basketball. Five years of this and JC and Vogel will drive us out of the A-10 to lower level conference. 

Maybe there’s room for us in the Northeast conference. JC did well there...

2/27/2021 12:05 pm  #59

Notwithstanding the debacle that was St. Bonaventure, do not let it define the season.  Before reaching any conclusions on the current state and future prospects of the program, look at this entire season as well as current freshmen and incoming recruits.   (I wouldn't put too much stock in the first season of a new coach who inherited a team that had very little talent).   To quote an old sports adage that I have referenced on many occasions...you are never as good as you think you are when you win nor as bad as you think you are when you lose.   One things is for certain...we will have a lot to discuss this off season.

2/27/2021 12:24 pm  #60

To me this game felt like a 27-2 baseball game where by the 8th inning the losing team has their backup C in to pitch.  Some nights you are just completely off and the other team is completely on.  As LSF just posted, it's not like every A-10 game has been a 40 point blowout.  Really the only "bad" loss during conference play has been to Mason.  All the other teams we've lost to are much better and more experienced than us.

Unlike Mojo where our recruiting simply stalled out, JC still seems to be able to attract BCS transfers and higher rated recruits.  Odd that kids would be so willing to sign up to play for him if he so obviously can't coach at an A-10 level like some posters have declared?  

Board footera