GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2021 5:57 pm  #201

Re: GW vs Fordham A10 Tourney Game Thread

Didn’t see the game.Just read the entire thread.I love you guys.So very,very GW.

3/03/2021 6:15 pm  #202

I continue to be frustrated by how poorly we screen and defend against screens. In today's game, if you can't execute the high ball screen or defend it, you're nowhere.

We switch on screens all the time. This creates bad mismatches and/or allows the offense player a clear path to the hoop. If you watch elite teams, you see that they fight over screens or even go under them, but don't switch all the time.

And on offense, we don't set or use screens well.

3/03/2021 7:33 pm  #203

Not like I know everything about the game, but  sure doesn’t seem like JC is coaching to the talent he has. So that’s a system issue.  a strategic decision. Ok after disrupted season it’s understandable to teach and coach for the long term.

HOWEVER tactically for 1 game I’d expect something to put Fordham at a real disadvantage

3/03/2021 8:19 pm  #204

FredD wrote:

Not like I know everything about the game, but  sure doesn’t seem like JC is coaching to the talent he has. So that’s a system issue.  a strategic decision. Ok after disrupted season it’s understandable to teach and coach for the long term.

HOWEVER tactically for 1 game I’d expect something to put Fordham at a real disadvantage

How exactly does one coach for a team that has Lincoln ball, chase Paar, and Hunter Dean playing major minutes?   Like what scheme works for a team playing 3 on 5 for much of the game (4 on 5 when Tyler is in, but only when he’s confident and making his shots)?   Only thing I can think of is spread the floor to create some space for your 3 play makers, but I honestly have idea what would work.  Do you?

3/03/2021 8:41 pm  #205

Free Quebec wrote:

Only thing I can think of is spread the floor to create some space for your 3 play makers, but I honestly have idea what would work. Do you?

Spreading the floor has me shuddering thinking of 4 guys standing around and someone going iso. 

Since guys like Paar and Dean will have to play, their only goals should be to not get in the way when someone drives and stick around to grab an offensive rebound once and awhile.

3/03/2021 8:43 pm  #206

Would having them all bitten by a radioactive spider work?

3/03/2021 8:52 pm  #207

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Good news: GW won.
Bad news: I need to restock the liquor cabinet before tomorrow´s game.

Just watched the replay on ESPN+ and was thinking along the same lines.  Good News: We play tomorrow; Bad News: We play tomorrow

Rather than restocking the liquor cabinet, I highly advise avoiding scores on social media and watching the replay later in the day or even the next day.  It not only saves about 45 minutes to an hour of your day when you fast forward through breaks, it also doesn't allow the painful moments to languish as much.  The only downside is that the replay shows the time remaining, so you can guess if a game went to OT--but does that really matter this season?

3/03/2021 8:55 pm  #208

1) Lincoln Ball and Hunter Dean are his recruits.
2)Chase Paar was a favorite of his last year.
3) We were playing Fordham, a 2 win team this year, after a layoff for them.
  Fred has a very good point about coaching to talent. It's been a theme with JC.
We can regroup tomorrow and talk about it during the offseason,which hopefully would 't start for awhile.

3/04/2021 1:01 pm  #209

Amen JF.
FQ, are you serious? JC is the coach and has been for 2 seasons now. His players. His style. His adjustments. This is the A-10. You have to be able to recruit BCS level talent to be in the top of this league (Dayton, VCU, etc). We haven't had a player with BCS level talent in 4 years. 
GMU is not a top team in our conference. If we are clicking on all cylinders, we can win. If we aren't (and GMU is, we lose). Let's stop setting the table for failure with these excuses. It seems to be in the GW DNA these past few years.

Board footera