GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2021 1:35 pm  #1

2021-2022

With the 2020-21 season in the books, time to start thinking about next year.

PROS

Assuming we have a normal offseason and pre-season, I believe that will help us tremendously. Another year for a lot of these guys will help in terms of off-season strength and conditioning and overall skill development. We will likely be more experienced and I think JC is learning everyday about how he wants his team to play to be successful. I think we are slowly improving our overall talent base.

CONS

I expect more player turnover this offseason somewhere between 1-4 players. That's my educated guess based on a few things including:

I expect to see an inordinate amount of transfers this season - due to COVID,
Some of the guys are likely not going to be happy with their PT or role (either currently or in the future)  as it will be defined to them. With Harris coming back (assuming he is healthy) and Freeman and Nixon added to the mix, roles will change.
One or two guys are possibly not happy at GW (the school not the program).

While this turnover, if it happens to the higher end number of players, may again be shocking to some people here, I don't believe this is really that outside the norm for GW in terms of other schools. There are very few stable rosters anymore sadly and kids aren't willing to wait their turn anymore.

So the question will be can JC take advantage of any openings to increase the talent base. To me that is the biggest question for the off-season. And when you are 5-12 there is plenty of opportunity.

3/07/2021 5:43 pm  #2

Re: 2021-2022

GWRising,
What are the chances that Bishop, Battle and Linda are all still at GW for 21-22
Hopefully not part of the transfers. They certainly wouldn't transfer based on PT. Hopefully they're enjoying GW.

3/07/2021 5:58 pm  #3

At this point, coaches are apparently doing their year-end player meetings so I wouldn't want to speculate on any individual until those discussions have been had. But if I were to guess based on other information circulating, I would definitely not say it's a foregone conclusion that all three return. I guess we will all learn fairly soon.

3/07/2021 9:38 pm  #4

GWRising wrote:

At this point, coaches are apparently doing their year-end player meetings so I wouldn't want to speculate on any individual until those discussions have been had. But if I were to guess based on other information circulating, I would definitely not say it's a foregone conclusion that all three return. I guess we will all learn fairly soon.

That's concerning...

3/07/2021 10:40 pm  #5

Would be highly problematic, to say the
least, given how the team has been set up.

3/08/2021 9:25 am  #6

GWRising wrote:

Yikes.   That would be a major setback.  We have 3 great building blocks.  If one leaves, it’s going to be really tough for JC to build the talent needed to pull out of the bottom of the league, even though we are so close now to making our move.  I’d even see if one of the core three leaves, he ought to be on the hot seat.

Also we had 8 players at the of the year.  While some of those guys are not the long term answer to this program, losing 3 or 4 of those 8 would be really problematic.

Last edited by Free Quebec (3/08/2021 9:27 am)

3/08/2021 9:39 am  #7

Why might any of them leave?

Battle was not a JC recruit and while they may have a great relationship, it is a bit different when you're playing for a different coach than the one that recruited you.  Jamison could likely transfer "up" and if he sees a clearer path to reaching the Dance and embarking upon a professional career, he might take it.

You remember those SAT analogies?  Is JNJ to James what James is to Brayon?  This could resemble the Kethan Savage decision, where the team is better off playing James at the 2 but James wants to continue playing the point as this might be in his best interests regarding a professional career down the road.

Ricky Lindo was prepared to sit this entire season until the NCAA essentially ruled that everyone was eligible.  Then, Ricky remained on the bench.  One can only guess whether Covid had anything to do with this?  Or, was the decision to transfer again made months ago, with Ricky playing a small enough number of games to be considered a redshirt and therefore, could likely bypass the rule of players transferring a second time while having to sit out a full season.

Worth noting that all of the above is blind speculation on my part, though there is logic behind each scenario. 

3/08/2021 10:24 am  #8

I would say a few additional things.

First, if it happens (and I stress "if" because we have no confirmation yet), JC will have a back-up plan. How do I know this? Because he always has a back-up plan. He definitely understands that in this "transfer" environment you cannot assume anything year to year or semester to semester. We have already witnessed this not just at GW but at many other programs. Take the ACC for example. You had three of better players in the Conference (Xavier Johnson, Wynston Tabbs and Jalen Johnson) leave their teams mid-semester. I don't think many of you have any idea of the tsunami wave of transfers that is coming this year. We can't reasonably expect GW to be immune.

Second, my information is that if one leaves it will not necessarily be related strictly to a basketball decision - there may be other factors at play.

Third, the COVID dynamic has caused much angst in the college basketball world and has fostered perceptions of the grass is greener elsewhere. All these players know is that you are stuck in a dorm room with very little outlet on a largely ghost campus. You don't necessarily have the perspective that at most schools it is not much different. This is tough for everyone to deal with it but tougher for some than others. You have a lot of time to think when you are not busy moving about and sometimes this thinking is not productive. I have warned all of you about how messed up this year is - unprecedented. I believe this has already contributed to at least one mid-year transfer and may contribute to more this Spring.

Any way you slice it, unfortunately the new normal is fast becoming not your father's Oldsmobile and not only will players and coaches have to adjust but so will fans to the prospect of very unstable rosters year to year. 

Last edited by GWRising (3/08/2021 10:25 am)

3/08/2021 10:44 am  #9

Well, now its official. Jamison and Chase have entered the portal.

3/08/2021 11:08 am  #10

Sad to say, but Jamison and Chase leaving was quite predictable.   If Battle wished to make a career playing basketball (and I have no reason to think he shouldn't), there was nothing to be gained by his remaining at GW.   Now Bishop can take all the shots in a game.   As for Chase, he was the odd man out between he, Brown and Dean.   If there is any positives here, GW was a woeful defensive team, and both both were below average defenders.   So now Christian has his wish...a team that will consist of 100% of his recruits.   I really hope your right about there being a backup plan, GW Rising, because Christian is starting to have me long for the glory days of Maurice Joseph.  Someone please remind me again why we should be upbeat about this so called quick fix expert?    After Lonergan left, I posted that the program was set back for 5 years.  Now that seems like an overly optimistic prediction.  

3/08/2021 11:23 am  #11

GWRising- is this likely the end of the transfers, or the begining?

3/08/2021 11:33 am  #12

I think we are much closer to the end than the beginning of transfers but can't rule out one or two more not named Bishop or Lindo which is why I said 1-4.

Last edited by GWRising (3/08/2021 11:33 am)

3/08/2021 1:19 pm  #13

1 to 4? why be so limiting, 0 to 5, seems safer, albeit already dated. (as is "1")

3/08/2021 1:59 pm  #14

The floodgates have just opened up. Expect 3 more to go. Lindo will be gone (and possibly Battle) but they will wait for a few months for when the BCS teams go poaching to fill out their rosters.
Let's hope Freeman and Nixon stay (with all the NCAA changes the last year, can they opt out of their NLI without penalty?)

3/08/2021 2:02 pm  #15

Uh Joel - perhaps you missed it. Battle is already gone and Lindo is staying. Must be that stellar performance by the Terps yesterday has got you off your game lol.

Last edited by GWRising (3/08/2021 2:03 pm)

3/08/2021 2:04 pm  #16

Meant Bishop, not Battle above. With the proper coaching and system, a BCS team could use his ability to drive and and score in certain situations.

3/08/2021 2:17 pm  #17

Like LSF, I thought it would take about 5 years to rebuild the program.
Then we hired an unqualified AD (out of necessity) who in turn quickly hired a .500 % winning coach, with little to no real search. Last year, I changed my prediction to a decade (2026), which gives the new coach 2 years after JC's 5 year contract expires.
Buckle up and enjoy the long ride. The Knapp/Nero curse continues!

3/08/2021 3:01 pm  #18

2021-22 season...

meh

Board footera