GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2019 2:15 pm  #81

Re: GW vs Towson Game Thread

Best move in a long while...I was ready to drive from Fredericksburg to Towson to go to the game (what the heck...I am mostly retired), but decided against it.   I did go to Jarvis' first game as a coach, which was likewise a road game against a Baltimore area school (don't remember which one...may have been Towson), which had a similar result.  I was expecting a better performance, however, even if we did not win.   Towson was a 20 loss team who we beat last season!     Not knowing any better, I would say the game looked like 2 teams going in different directions; however I know better so I am not terribly concerned.     I agree with the sentiment that at this point in time, we are in need of a talent infusion, which I hope will come when the the frosh and Mezzie develop some and when Toro has cleared some of the rust away.   After the exhibition game, I had stated that i was concerned about our lack of team speed.     That showed once again, as Towson repeatedly beat us to the spot on both offense and defense.  I was impressed with Nelson, but on the other hand, Coach is going to have to find out the best way to use him.   He does not appear to be a natural point guard, and I saw far too much dribbling with the head down and with no apparent destination.   What you saw from most of the returning players provided no surprise, as I think players like Jack, Mazulla, Juice, Potter and Javy displayed play that is reflective on who they are.   I was likewise surprised that  Ace Stallings got what I thought would be Javy's minutes, but this happened in the exhibition game too.    I have learned to kinda like Javy's game (not the Towson version however).   I think he is coachable and can score inside, pull some rebounds and block some shots, for 10-15 minutes per game.   

11/07/2019 2:20 pm  #82

Re: GW vs Towson Game Thread

Jarvis lost to Loyola in his first game ... then considered a bad loss. However, he went on to win 19 games that season. Let's hope for a similar outcome.

Board footera