GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2021 10:49 pm  #1

JC and Carm

JC/Carm have really turned around Siena, and fast.

JC took Siena from 8-24 to a winning record, in one year, left for GW, Carm took over and things have ascended further from there:

In 2018, Maciariello returned to his alma mater as an assistant coach under Jamion Christian. He was elevated to head coach on March 25, 2019 after Christian accepted the head coaching position at George Washington.In his first season, he led the Saints to the #1 seed and a regular season championship for the first time since 2010. The Saints entered the MAAC tournament as heavy favorites to advance to the NCAA tournament.  In their first game at the MAAC Tournament, the Saints easily defeated Manhattan 63–49. Shortly before their semifinal, the MAAC was forced to cancel the tournament due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As regular season champions, the MAAC announced Siena would be named Conference Champions and were awarded the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA tournament

Despite the cancellation of the tournament, Maciariello became just the second coach in program history to earn a berth to the NCAA tournament in his first season as head coach, and was the first in program history to win the MAAC regular season title in his first year.

In his second season he has led Siena to a 12-3 record.

Last edited by The Dude (3/04/2021 11:39 pm)

3/05/2021 1:22 pm  #2

Re: JC and Carm

We only care about what JC has done at GW after 2 seasons - and it's not much.
Anyone can interpret stats the way they want. JC inherited a team that Patsos recruited and built (much like Mojo's 1st of 3 seasons at GW - Cavanaugh, Yuta and company won despite Mojo being in over his head).
Carm's team this year has only played other MAAC teams (weak conference). Their record is deceiving without the benefit of seeing how they compare to out of conference teams in a normal year.
Wouldn't it be something if we eventually fired JC and hired Carm - then we would have another 5-8 years of futility!

3/05/2021 1:34 pm  #3

Quite a turnaround, whatever JC/Carm got going there was rapid and highly effective.

Lunardi has Siena in his bracket again this year, as the Auto Qualifier 

Carm is creating Young Head Coach on the rise brand for himself, nice to see him thriving, and the stench of being associated with ML hasn't impacted him in the long run.  Carm, that is.  ML remains unemployed 6 years later

Last edited by The Dude (3/05/2021 2:11 pm)

3/05/2021 1:44 pm  #4

Speaking of the Bubble, Lunardi has moved The Bonnies to comfortably in, VCU he has in and SLU in his last four out, so this UMASS game happening now, if you believe him to be correct becomes a must win.

A10 has a long shot to get 4 if we can get a bid stealer to win the tourney, perhaps Davidson or Dayton,.but 3 bids seems more likely

3/09/2021 8:40 pm  #5

Lol ML lives in the dudes head rent free 6 years later. Don't need a job if that rent is that cheap!

3/09/2021 8:41 pm  #6

No offense to Siena or Carm but that bid wasn't exactly earned the Old fashion way. Can't give him too much credit tho the trajectory seems promising!

3/10/2021 10:18 pm  #7

Kudos to Carm on such  good job at Siena so far, had missed/ or forgotten he was the Siena HC, and Mt St Mary's is back to the Dance, JC laid some good tracks at both schools

3/11/2021 8:14 am  #8

Carm lost their first MAAC tourney game to Rick Pitino’s Iona.  No tourney bid for him.

3/11/2021 9:21 am  #9

Battle, Jack, Nelson, Jr., Paar, Stallings--all transferring this year alone. More than the putrid 17-32 2-year record, this is a sign of a program that has hit rock bottom. The University must eat the three years left on Christian's contract (enough with the five year deals--you think he wouldn't have taken three?!) and move on. The University must find the money to hire an A10-caliber coach or the stands will be half empty next year (4 in my row are definitely gone). No radio, no TV (unless the opponent warrants it), two sentences buried in the Post sports section, little fan or student interest. Sad thing, the school won't do what it needs to do, signaling again that it only wants to talk about success not really do anything about it. We can be the next St. Bonaventure, but only if we all demand that we get there.

3/11/2021 9:35 am  #10

Carm may turn out to be an outstanding coach.  However, from all I gathered, his role in the ML/PN saga and during the aftermath of that saga was incredibly self-serving.  Hard to root for someone like this despite his having spent some time at GW.

MSM has one player of consequence who JC recruited, Opoku who is a redshirt junior.  Two if you count Mezie assuming JC recommended him to the current MSM staff.  They only have one senior who played very little.  As a reminder, Jalen Gibbs, their leading scorer through the first four games, left the team to enter the transfer portal.  Still has not committed anywhere from what I can tell.

3/11/2021 9:50 am  #11

Moneybox, don't forget Seymour.

Here is a simplistic discussion.  To be a highly successful coach, you should possess the combination of being a real student of the game (one who understands X's and O's, runs set plays, etc.) and one who knows how to motivate.  Hobbs was a great motivator but his grasp of strategy was limited to the the style of play he ran.  There was little if any adapting to exploit weaknesses in an opponent.  Lonergan could run plays with the best of them but was not a natural motivator.  He spoke the truth which sometimes hurt.

I really believe that TV and whoever else was involved in the interviewing process thought they were getting both in JC.  For a variety of reasons, some understandable ones and some inexcusable ones, this just has not been the case through two seasons.  The way the offense runs is alarming at times.  We continue to be slow on defense which impacts our abilities to stay in front of dribblers and switch men effectively.  We tried some zone but it appeared that we tried it out of frustration  to see what might happen as opposed to really have worked on excelling at this during the off season.

We're left with an entire roster of JC recruits with more talent expected to arrive in the months ahead.  By definition, this has to be the team that JC wants to be coaching.  I don't feel that JC should be fired right now or after next season, nor should his contract be extended right now.  There is pressure on him to have the kind of season, next season, where we'll all be glad to extend his contract after next season.   

3/11/2021 10:55 am  #12

Gwmayhem wrote:

Carm may turn out to be an outstanding coach.  However, from all I gathered, his role in the ML/PN saga and during the aftermath of that saga was incredibly self-serving.  Hard to root for someone like this despite his having spent some time at GW.

MSM has one player of consequence who JC recruited, Opoku who is a redshirt junior.  Two if you count Mezie assuming JC recommended him to the current MSM staff.  They only have one senior who played very little.  As a reminder, Jalen Gibbs, their leading scorer through the first four games, left the team to enter the transfer portal.  Still has not committed anywhere from what I can tell.

Malik Jefferson is also JC recruit and a starter. Had 10 points and 15 rebounds in the NEC Championship. At this point any of JC's recruits at MSM would be at least rising seniors. But as you can imagine many of his last classes departed as a result of the coaching change including Donald Carey who is at Georgetown..

3/11/2021 11:40 am  #13

True that he may have recruited him.  I'll amend by saying that only Opoku and one other who barely plays ever played for him at MSM.  And in Opoku's case, he was a redshirt freshman so he technically did not play in any games for JC.

3/11/2021 11:44 am  #14

You could see this coming from a mile away.
Master (Pitino) vs Grasshopper (Carm).
The MAAC was hit hard by COVID. The conference seedings ended up being irrelevant in several of the lower conferences so far (MAAC, NEC, AE). Curious to see if the same applies to the BCS Conferences now that their tourney's are under way. I'm surprised that the A-10 results mirrored our seedings for the most part.

3/11/2021 1:01 pm  #15

Crazy good turn around, first by JC, and then Carm the last 2 years taking it to the next level. 

Siena has been the best team in the league under Carm

3/11/2021 7:39 pm  #16

BrianPaul wrote:

Carm may turn out to be a great coach.  That was a decent remark.   The continued relitigation of the good old days?  Back burner stuff. 

Lol at both those comments

3/11/2021 7:46 pm  #17

Carm has the #1 team in the league, 5 years later Mike L still  has no job.

One man is ascending, the other guy is perpetually jobless, cooked forever. I think we have our answer already.

Last edited by The Dude (3/11/2021 7:47 pm)

3/11/2021 7:55 pm  #18

BrianPaul wrote:

Skittles, I am an adult, and rarely use "LoL."  But, if I were not, I'd respond to each of your posts in that manner. 

I'm 35 bud but love the energy

3/11/2021 7:58 pm  #19

The Dude wrote:

Carm has the #1 team in the league, 5 years later Mike L still  has no job.

One man is ascending, the other guy is perpetually jobless, cooked forever. I think we have our answer already.

ML got PAID according to 2 people in the know. Im sure he's doing fine. Carm tried to snake his way to a A10 job and is in a one bid league and has only done well during a pandemic (their league was hit HARD this season). Let's run it back next year and see if we still see it this way

3/11/2021 7:58 pm  #20

BrianPaul wrote:

Get back to me when you're an adult.  

Ok daddy

Board footera