GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2021 10:28 pm  #1

The A10 Bubble Situation...

Should be in

St. Bonaventure BonniesIn the space of just 19 games played during a paused and shortened season, St. Bonaventure has made a commendably strong case for an at-large bid. Mark Schmidt's team was already in the top 30 of the NET rankings before the Atlantic 10 tournament semifinal win over Saint Louis, and mock brackets were showing the Bonnies as a No. 10 seed. The decision over the Billikens goes into the books as a Quad 1 win, the team's third this season against just two defeats. With each postseason victory, there will be more talk of Schmidt as a candidate for other positions (possibly Boston College). For now, St. Bonaventure will gladly take the "each postseason victory" half of that bargain.

VCU RamsThe Atlantic 10 title game is going to have a heavy major conference vibe, because it would appear that, win or lose, both VCU and St. Bonaventure will make the field of 68. The Rams are projected as a No. 11 seed, and the team has received a lift from the return of Bones Hyland, after he missed two games with an injured foot. The strong showing at the A-10 tournament has been a welcome turn of events for a program with unfinished postseason business. In 2019, VCU breezed through conference play at 16-2 only to lose to Rhode Island in the A-10 quarterfinals. The Rams were then given a No. 8 seed on Selection Sunday, and they lost by 15 in the round of 64 to UCF. Mike Rhoades' current team has already outperformed that precedent in the conference tournament and will seek to do the same in the NCAA's bracket

Saint Louis BillikensAfter SLU's loss to St. Bonaventure in the Atlantic 10 semifinals, coach Travis Ford said his team was looking to schedule a game in the coming week. The impulse to improve this profile is sound because, as it stands, there may not be enough here for a 14-6 team with a top-50 NET ranking to earn an at-large bid. The win over LSU is significant, of course, as is the regular-season win over the Bonnies in St. Louis. If the Billikens do come up short, however, one telling of the story could hold that even one win against VCU or one more against St. Bonaventure may have made a significant difference within the small number of games the Billikens played. So yes, schedule wisely, Coach Ford. In NET terms, the highest-ranked team that has already ended its season without realistic hope of a bid would appear to be Davidson. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by The Dude (3/10/2021 10:29 pm)

3/11/2021 8:10 am  #2

Re: The A10 Bubble Situation...

When I look at ESPN’s last 4 in -  Drake, Boise St, Colorado St, Syracuse - it’s almost infathomable to me that St Louis wouldn’t get in ahead of them. 

I’ve watched a lot of Syracuse this year.  They are so soft inside on defense that Hunter Dean would have a double double if we played them (kidding). Under the eye test, St Louis is much better.

Lunardi moved them into the field because they beat NC St yesterday - big deal, St Louis beat them too.    They appear to be a classi BS BCS team that will get in only because their conference schedule gives them a ton of chances to get wins over decent teams.  They went 2-4 against teams likely to make the tourney (with both wins coming last week). SLU is 2-2 vs teams likely to get in.   

The two Mountain West teams in no way should get in before SLU.  The MWC is bad this year - 11th on KenPom.

Colorado St is a team I don’t get how they could be in. They also have nothing inside.  They have 1 win vs a tourney ream: San Diego St.   I guess their claim to fame is they split with SDSU and bubble teams Boise St and Utah St. They also lost to the only other top 100 teams they played (Nevada and St Mary’s).  Outside of those three splits vs the top teams in their league, they didn’t beat a top 150 team all year. 

Boise St did beat BYU early in the season. That’s their only win over a team likely in the field. They swept 2 games from Utah st, both at home because of covid scheduling, split with CSU, and that’s it.  They also 3 in a row to end the regular season (2 to SDSU to be fair, but also to a bad Fresno team ranked 188 on ken Pom).   I’ve also watched Boise a couple of times and there’s really nothing unique or interesting about them.  I suspect SLU would beat them handily on a neutral court (they would be favored slightly because SLU is 49 in ken Pom, while Boise and CSU are both around 60). 

Drake’s resume is a split with a top 25 Loyola team, with both games at home due to covid.  The only other thing on their resume is they beat a top 100 Missouri team 3 times, but otherwise they don’t have any top 150 wins.   Other problem with Drake is their two best players got hurt and are done for the season.  If GW could get knocked down 3 seed lines because Pops was hurt and the committee didn’t know if he’d be ok, then how can you ignore that their best player got hurt and they went 3-2 without him?   They did start the season 18-0 before the injuries, but it was also against a schedule that would even make Karl Hobbs blush. 

The other team ahead of SLU in Lunardi’s bracketology is Utah St.  Personally I would take Utah St over the other two MWC teams in a heartbeat, even though they got swept by Boise.  The case is that they finished 2nd in their conference and that Neemias Queta is the best player in that league and would be a massive problem for anyone in the ncaa tourney (if they play Syracuse in the first 4, he’d have like 22 and 15)..   The two road losses at Boise, and the fact that they beat no one out of conference, may keep them out, but if Brock Miller is healthy, I won’t be surprised if they win the MWC tourney anyway.

It will be a disappointment if SLU gets snubbed for any of those teams, and would almost certainly be a result of their long pause because I suspect more games for SLU would show they are simply a cut above those other teams.  Hopefully they get a game in the next couple of days to help.

3/11/2021 1:09 pm  #3

Really lost out last season with Dayton a projected 1 seed and a top 4 KenPom team heading into the tourney
Best chance for a really deep A10 team run in a long time.  

Not sure these 3 teams have it in them, but then again you never know

3/11/2021 1:56 pm  #4

I am rooting for St. Louis but there big problem is they have only one road win all year and that was against Fordham.

3/11/2021 2:02 pm  #5

A-10 gets 2 bids this year - Bonnies and VCU.
Syracuse may have just taken away SLU's chances by a close game against UVA. If not Syracuse, some other BCS bubble team playing well in their tourney.
Hoping the committee see's it differently.

3/11/2021 7:32 pm  #6

LA Colonial wrote:

I am rooting for St. Louis but there big problem is they have only one road win all year and that was against Fordham.

Yeah, I think they lost a chance at some road and neutral wins because of covid.   There are definitely problems with their resume, and they probably don’t get in, but to me this is one those teams that clearly meets the eye test as a tourney team, especially compared to the others.

By the way, Boise St currently down 6 to Nevada.  Losing to them again may knock them off the bubble. Rooting for Nevada.

Last edited by Free Quebec (3/11/2021 7:32 pm)

3/14/2021 1:26 pm  #7

In his last 8, Joe L has some of the biggest $ schools in the sport, and the first 8 out are full of mid majors. Whether he's right, that's exactly what the NCAA wants, creating a new selection criteria that almost assures that year after year.ON THE BUBBLELAST FOUR BYES

LAST FOUR IN

FIRST FOUR OUT

NEXT FOUR OUT

Board footera