GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2021 6:06 pm  #181

Re: 2021 Offseason Transfers

I think two things can be true at once.  1.  Jamison was a key piece of our offense and JC ran plays to get him open so he wasn't iced out as a strategy, and 2. the team overall did a poor job running those plays and at times the PG failed to find Jamison when he was open.  

It stinks for Jamison that was effectively playing with two freshman PGs.  Bishop was for all intents and purposes a freshman running the point and obviously Brelsford was a true freshman.  We saw two years ago how much more effective Potter was at distributing the ball which led to better shots for Battle.  Watching the set plays you could see that screens were set for Jamison but either the play developed too slowly so the window for a pass closed or the defense figured it out and the window never opened.  You are correct that often Jamison was forced to shoot over someone if he wanted a 3.  The times when we got him open consistently were often in games we ended up winning. 

As Mike Hall tweeted, there are things in Jamison's offensive game that need to be improved if he truly wants to be not just a 3 pt shooter but it cannot be denied that if he gets open looks he has the ability to go off and has earned a promotion to a BCS school.

It's critical that one of Bishop, Brelsford, or Freeman emerge as a distributor next season.  

3/25/2021 7:20 pm  #182

Press here in Madison reporting that WI interested in Battle, as is MN. Battle works out offseason in the Twin Cities with one of the WI players. Looks like only two key WI players returning so a lot of holes. Coach here runs a highly structured offense with a lot of screening, passing and 3s.  

3/27/2021 9:11 am  #183

Someone put together a list of transfers from the Verbal Commits site ranked by school.

Link

Of the schools with same/more transfers as/than GW, 70% have had a coaching change in the last year.

A-10 has the third highest number of defections.

Last edited by BM (3/27/2021 9:39 am)

3/27/2021 10:16 am  #184

So only ten schools in the country had more players transfer than GW, and only three were without coaching changes?  Good perspective.  Thanks, BM

3/27/2021 10:50 am  #185

This is something that is becoming a problem.The Little Understood Mental-Health Effects of Being a GW Fan.
I want the Administration to do something about this. At least have 1 GW team that is a big winner. Mea Culpa.

3/27/2021 11:11 am  #186

We have 6 not 8. Langarica and Stallings do not count. Give me a break. One was last year and one was a walk-on. Show me other walk-ons listed.

That means there are 33 programs with the same or more transfers.

Last edited by GWRising (3/27/2021 4:35 pm)

3/27/2021 11:17 am  #187

Tennessee Colonial—I’m fairly certain that there is no “cure “ for this group.More than that -even if I was 
still in practice I would have been ambivalent about referring the “group “to another therapist.
In the business we call it a “bad referral”.The best we can hope for in my estimation is a famous 
Psycho-mumbo-jumbo notion-“The problem is not the problem,it’s not being able to talk about the problem”.

3/27/2021 11:34 am  #188

I don’t think 8 is correct for us. 

I’m also pretty sure University of Washington had had 7 or 8.

3/28/2021 6:25 pm  #189

Sloan Seymour to NH
Michael Barth[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/SportsGuyBarth]@SportsGuyBarth·13m  Shaker grad and former Siena Saint Sloan Seymour has a new home in the America East at New Hampshire

Probably should've just stayed at Siena

3/28/2021 7:27 pm  #190

Good luck to Sloan at New Hampshire.

3/28/2021 8:11 pm  #191

Here's wishing Sloan all the best at New Hampshire. Not sure Sloan's coming to GW was JC's finest hour. A good case can be made that JC overestimated Sloan's talent or underestimated the quality of play in the A-10.  I bet a number of folks on this board thought that JC bringing Sloan with him was like when Mike Jarvis brought Bill Brigham with him from Boston University. 

And on the number of players leaving 6 or 8 .. not sure why we wouldn't count Stallings? Walk on or not, he left the team in the middle of the season. We all know something is wrong when three players won't even finish the season. But hey, even if we all agree with that the number is 6, I don't see how that 6 players leaving says something is wrong.  Finally, it would make me very happy to say after the end of next season when GW finishes in the top half of the A-10 and plays in the NCAA or NIT tournament (like the third season of Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan) that I misjudged the situation and JC was on the right track.

3/28/2021 10:08 pm  #192

Agree with every part of that,including hopeful end.
Time for postseason play.

3/29/2021 6:46 am  #193

Re: Sloan what’s the etiquette? Are coach’s free to say you can’t play in the league I’m moving too or is that too harsh or fodder for negative recruiting.

Btw I’d love to be in the post season, but I want competence and 8 guys who can play in the A10. My fear is GW will not be able to make the leap in resources transfers and NIL churn will require.

Robert Morris was a founding father too, but I want GW to be better than the school named after him.

3/29/2021 8:17 am  #194

The how many players have we lost relative to other schools discussion seems to be an apples to oranges comparison.  Those who are concerned ought to be concerned with what has happened over the past two seasons, not just this past season.  Someone turned this into a comparison of what GW lost this past season  to what schools who had first-year coaches this past season lost.  Unfortunately, Nolan, Williams, Brown, Littles, Langarica, Mazzulla, and Offerum all prematurely left the program the year before last as well.

3/29/2021 4:09 pm  #195

Kellan Grady to Kentucky

3/29/2021 4:14 pm  #196

Mentzinger wrote:

Kellan Grady to Kentucky

Caliphate said this year he realized he needs shooters, not just all the bigs and an athletic PG so I’m sure that’s how he sold Grady.   Will be interesting to see how Grady does there, when defenses can’t totally key on him all game, but when he also has other massively talented guys who need the ball.

3/29/2021 7:15 pm  #197

3/29/2021 7:30 pm  #198

Battle to MN makes sense since he’s from there, though too bad for him Marcus Carr is leaving.

3/29/2021 10:00 pm  #199

Not shocking at all that Battle would wind up in Minnesota. Squares well with the facts - it wasn't Bishop that drove him away but a desire to be closer to home where his family and friends could see him play more easily. Hopefully we can now put the made up narrative to rest.

3/29/2021 10:13 pm  #200

Transfer portal now exceeds 2019-20 as predicted and we are still in March. But some of you continue thinking this is a JC problem. A decent chance that at least 25% of all scholarships are in the portal this year (approximately 1,150). That's an average of 3+ per team. 

Board footera