GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2021 4:51 am  #1

5 year anniversary NIT Champs

What a fun game that was. Was fortunate to drive up there with some family and see it all live. Miss these days.

3/31/2021 5:58 am  #2

Re: 5 year anniversary NIT Champs

And to think it all would've been for naught had we not held on against Hofstra.  We only scored 5 points in the final 6:08 of the game capped off by the Mitola game winner.  

3/31/2021 7:23 am  #3

Went to all the games and then had a great time in NYC with the family and former poster steveg202!

What a run!

3/31/2021 8:12 am  #4

Great run and a great accomplishment.  The big break was playing Florida at home rather than in Gainesville since renovations had already started on their arena.  From there, we played great at MSG.

To cap it all off, many GW fans went outside after the game and noticed that the Empire State Building was lit up in what looked like buff and blue.  Was this to honor the NIT Champions?  Not quite.  It turned out to be for some MTV sponsored cause that I am failing to remember.  The colors were strictly coincidental.  Oh well.

3/31/2021 1:21 pm  #5

GW0509 wrote:

And to think it all would've been for naught had we not held on against Hofstra.  We only scored 5 points in the final 6:08 of the game capped off by the Mitola game winner.  

Lol how does one take a post about winning and make it negative. Who gives a crap a w is a w and we took home all the Ws in that run

3/31/2021 2:27 pm  #6

BrianPaul wrote:

It was a nice end to the season.  But (and it's been mentioned here before), that team was built for the NCAA tournament.  I wonder when GW is playing with the Big League again? 

I'd still like to remember that run as a moment the players and coaches and fans can be proud of. NIT Champs is also an outstanding feat! And never Brian, the program was properly gutted

3/31/2021 3:01 pm  #7

The only thing comparable to this is the Sweet 16 run.
It turned what was indeed big disappointment into a huge triumph.
To see your team on the scoreboard marquee at Madison Square Garden as the winner is an incomparable
feeling.
And to end the season without a loss, without "a what might have been" was truly a special feeling for fans, players and coaches.
   Since we couldn't even cut down the nets against MEAC teams this year, the NIT achievement shouldn't be taken lightly and should be celebrated.
    It wasn't the NCAA, but winning a national tournament championship against the likes of Florida is a 
big deal at our level.
    And at The Garden, a temple of basketball!
    Did the university do anything on the anniversary? Hope if it was allowed, we didn't erase history by cutting out the former coach who deserves credit, as well.
   That was pretty much the last full season hurrah for us. We have been a laughingstock of the A-10 for years now.
Let's take some pleasure of seeing our team in lights and hope as soon as next season that it can happen again

3/31/2021 3:14 pm  #8

jf wrote:

To see your team on the scoreboard marquee at Madison Square Garden as the winner is an incomparable
feeling.
And to end the season without a loss, without "a what might have been" was truly a special feeling for fans, players and coaches.
   Since we couldn't even cut down the nets against MEAC teams this year, the NIT achievement shouldn't be taken lightly and should be celebrated.
    It wasn't the NCAA, but winning a national tournament championship against the likes of Florida is a 
big deal at our level.
    Did the university do anything on the anniversary? Hope if it was allowed, we didn't erase history by cutting out the former coach who deserves credit, as well.
   That was pretty much the last full season hurrah for us. We have been a laughingstock of the A-10 for years now.
Let's take some pleasure of seeing our team in lights and hope as soon as next season that it can happen again

Nope not even a tweet out of them!

3/31/2021 3:27 pm  #9

Skittles wrote:

jf wrote:

feeling.
big deal at our level.

Athletic Dept definitely trawling these waters 
https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1377355572442447878

3/31/2021 3:31 pm  #10

The NIT title was mentioned several times (including a shot of the trophy and snippets from the title game) during last night´s University-organized zoom event. Not sure you want to point out that five years ago you had a nationally-relevant programme when at the present you don´t have enough players for a 5-on-5 scrimmage returning from a 5-win team.

3/31/2021 3:42 pm  #11

Steve Urkel wrote:

Skittles wrote:

jf wrote:

feeling.
big deal at our level.

Seems like the censors missed several ML sightings in the background lol. What they should do is stop with the nonsense ... history is history!  Show it as it happened and include everyone coaches and players. Enough!

3/31/2021 3:45 pm  #12

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

The NIT title was mentioned several times (including a shot of the trophy and snippets from the title game) during last night´s University-organized zoom event. Not sure you want to point out that five years ago you had a nationally-relevant programme when at the present you don´t have enough players for a 5-on-5 scrimmage returning from a 5-win team.

I honestly didn't think of that...you gotta point

3/31/2021 5:00 pm  #13

Have we won a game in the road uniforms ever since?

Seriously, could I count those number of wins on two hands?

3/31/2021 5:00 pm  #14

Certainly odd to post relatively late in the day on the big day. It's not like we have a lot of happy moments from the last five years. Would imagine this one would have had a rollout with other tweets with video grabs, stills, etc. This is by far our biggest anniversary in recent years and deserves more than something thrown in after revisionist editing.
  Wasn't there a picture of the team, coaches and managers with the trophy. Recall seeing it there and a number of us probably have it ourselves if they missed it.
    Literally could have hardly minimized Coach Lonergan more, except to cut him out entirely and in the one
brief sighting I noticed it was in the background and missed by censors, as pointed out. Also, maybe missed it, but didn't see Mojo or other assistants.
  Anyway, must say agree with GW Rising that "history is history!  Show it as it happened and include everyone coaches and players. Enough!"
   Perhaps that point can be reinforced to Athletic Dept. officials.

GWRising wrote:

Steve Urkel wrote:

Skittles wrote:

Seems like the censors missed several ML sightings in the background lol. What they should do is stop with the nonsense ... history is history!  Show it as it happened and include everyone coaches and players. Enough!

3/31/2021 5:24 pm  #15

Hurts my heart to see the clips from the NIT championship - what a good team that was.

3/31/2021 5:36 pm  #16

BrianPaul wrote:

A former GWU player died this week. I think that's a more compelling matter than the continued focus on an NIT from years ago.  

But, have at it, please.

Nobody is downplaying a very sad loss. Stop that.

3/31/2021 5:37 pm  #17

Jf I agree, their continued censorship is just sad at this point. It's their fault we long to even see the CBI in the next decade let alone WIN A TOURNAMENT

3/31/2021 6:22 pm  #18

Skittles wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Lol how does one take a post about winning and make it negative. Who gives a crap a w is a w and we took home all the Ws in that run

Well I would argue it's a pretty integral part of the story in that the team that ended up winning the NIT was not the team that showed up to the first game.  

On March 11, 2016 GW took a 14 pt lead into halftime against St Joe's in the quarterfinals of the A-10 Tournament.  The Hawks ended up outscoring us by 20 in the second half en route to winning the whole thing.  The loss almost assuredly cost us a chance at a First Four game in the NCAA tournament, although even with a win we were probably on the bubble looking in.  

We then had to wait after Selection Sunday to see if we would even be selected to the NIT because of so many auto-bids. We barely made the tournament as a 4 seed.  I don't think that's where anyone saw us being after we beat UVA.

The Hofstra game started just like the St Joe's game with a comfortable 11 pt halftime lead with us scoring almost 50 points and then we started to get lazy.  Our FG% went down 9 percentage points in the second half with Hofstra's going up 8.  As I said earlier, we went stone cold the last 6 minutes of the game.

The Mitola shot 100% propelled the team into giving a crap about the NITs and each subsequent win saw the team gain confidence.  Whether we would've won against FL if we had to travel to Gainesville is a great what if but luckily they decided to start renovating their home court early. 

I would argue the win against SDSU was the most impressive in the whole run.   That was just utter domination from start to finish.

3/31/2021 6:43 pm  #19

GW0509 wrote:

Skittles wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Well I would argue it's a pretty integral part of the story in that the team that ended up winning the NIT was not the team that showed up to the first game.  

On March 11, 2016 GW took a 14 pt lead into halftime against St Joe's in the quarterfinals of the A-10 Tournament.  The Hawks ended up outscoring us by 20 in the second half en route to winning the whole thing.  The loss almost assuredly cost us a chance at a First Four game in the NCAA tournament, although even with a win we were probably on the bubble looking in.  

We then had to wait after Selection Sunday to see if we would even be selected to the NIT because of so many auto-bids. We barely made the tournament as a 4 seed.  I don't think that's where anyone saw us being after we beat UVA.

The Hofstra game started just like the St Joe's game with a comfortable 11 pt halftime lead with us scoring almost 50 points and then we started to get lazy.  Our FG% went down 9 percentage points in the second half with Hofstra's going up 8.  As I said earlier, we went stone cold the last 6 minutes of the game.

The Mitola shot 100% propelled the team into giving a crap about the NITs and each subsequent win saw the team gain confidence.  Whether we would've won against FL if we had to travel to Gainesville is a great what if but luckily they decided to start renovating their home court early. 

I would argue the win against SDSU was the most impressive in the whole run.   That was just utter domination from start to finish.

Ah that St Joe's game. Stuff of nightmares! Got to see that gem live too unfortunately. I agree. The shot definitely motivated the team but I think it was more nerves against Hofstra (considering what JUST happened the game before) than not caring. The team had a core playing their last stretch I'm sure they were motivated. But after hofstra we took it hard to every team (even a hard fighting Florida team). We were a sure thing for the NIT even with auto bids I'd argue cause we had some impressive wins including UVA!

3/31/2021 9:57 pm  #20

Well if you look at the Twitter of a certain former successful GW coach, there is the picture
of the team holding the NIT championship trophy that they somehow couldn't dig up in the Athletic
Department.
   Would be hard to censor. You can see why they don't want to acknowledge the biggest triumph by far in recent GW basketball history.

Board footera