GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2021 3:21 pm  #1

Just Going To Come Out And Ask

In the back of my mind, I have had these thoughts:

Does Mike Lonergan want to be a head coach again?  I don't know but my gut says yes.
Would Mike Lonergan relocate his family so that he can coach again?  I don't know but my gut says no.
Would Maryland or Georgetown hire Mike Lonergan after years of not coaching anywhere?  Probably not.

So, what program would make the most sense for Mike Lonergan to coach at?  UMBC.

As of this week, the UMBC job is open.

Let's face it, UMBC is not going to find a better basketball mind to coach their program.  Odom has undoubtedly elevated their program and they are going to want to remain committed to being a perennially contending American East school.  Mike Lonergan has enjoyed success in that very conference.

So assuming Mike is interested and the compensation package is right, this should boil down to one thing:

UMBC needs to hear Mike Lonergan's side of the story in his own words.  While he can't say what he is forbidden by law to say, he should be able to effectively communicate why he and GW parted ways.  UMBC then needs to decide if they believe and accept ML's version.  If they do, they should perform their due diligence.  I'd be confident that there are plenty who would speak well on his behalf.  They should likely call Adam Kilgore and Dave McKenna, the two sportswriters who covered the Lonergan dismissal in great detail.  See what each of them thinks about what really took place and why.  And then, UMBC must decide whether ML is not worthy of another chance as a head coach or if he is the right guy for the job.

Any real inside information is always appreciated.   

4/07/2021 3:28 pm  #2

Re: Just Going To Come Out And Ask

Why should anyone with a fans level interest in GW basketball care?

4/07/2021 4:08 pm  #3

FredD, I can only hope that was sarcastic.

4/07/2021 4:33 pm  #4

would like to see him coach again, especially at a local school (semi-local to DC) like UMBC

4/07/2021 4:40 pm  #5

Mayhem, I realize we don't have much to say about GW Basketball right now but we really need to stop obsessing about all things "Mike Lonergan".

From what I know, he is living a very comfortable and satisfying life in "retirement" from basketball. I was told he agreed to work with a good friend in managing his hometown gym - originally was supposed to be temporary while he worked on the lawsuit because it provided medical insurance coverage for his family - he's enjoyed it so much I think he's still doing it.

I also heard he turned down overtures of being an asst coach to certain coaches at a few major programs (Mike Brey and an unnamed coach in a P-5 conf out West). I guess he had no interest.

Whatever he does in the future is anybody's guess. I thought for sure he would want to get back into coaching the last few years. Now, I'm not so sure.

Bottom line is he can't save us from this disaster of a program we have lived with since he left. Nobody could have guessed this program would be impacted because of what happened to him, not even JC when he took this job.

UMBC will choose either the MD asst or maybe the MSMU coach. Not a bad low major school to start a career at.

4/07/2021 4:46 pm  #6

Joel, I'd hardly refer to it as an obsession.  When was the last time a head coaching job opened up and I mentioned Lonergan as a legitimate candidate?  This happens to be one of the very few jobs that Mike would take if he was interested in, assuming he would like to get back in which he may very well not, since it does not involve relocating his family.  He may not want it and they may not want him.  However, I'd say it's extremely noteworthy given the UMBC job having just opened up.  

4/07/2021 5:06 pm  #7

Mayhem, my "obsession" comments were directed at our 2 infamous board trolls (dumb and dumber). Your thread will stir up their obsession with ML and send them into a downward spiral.

I agree with you that IF ML gets back into coaching, it will be with a local team so his family will not be impacted by a move. I still think he would come back for an asst job at a local P5 school (MD and GT being the only 2 options that fit the criteria). If true, I was surprised he wouldn't bite the bullet and go work for his buddy Brey at ND for a year or 2. He could do what those in the military do, be a geographical bachelor and leave his family where they are.

If he was to take a low D-1 job, I think the only school he would consider would the the MSMU job due to his connections to that school - wife an alumnus? Previous said Coach Jim Phelan was a big influence/mentor.

Lets hope he doesn't end up anywhere around here - I don't want to have to play his team!

4/07/2021 5:11 pm  #8

Having been fired for abusing his players, just like for the past 5 seasons, there remains zero chance of him landing any job at all in the profession.  

Hence, he's an Assistant Gym Manager in Bowie MD, not a Coach.

4/07/2021 5:16 pm  #9

Understand what JJ is saying and he has provided a very realistic view of inside the Athletic Dept. And appreciate his clarification, without endorsing the language of the reference to other posters.
  Interest in a coach who left only 5 years ago and the last time we were a real overall threat,as well as our only national tournament championship,is quite appropriate here.
  Personally interested in Mike Jarvis and Bob Talent,as well as Hobbs, even Mojo,etc. We often hear about Pikiell here who was a GW assistant more than a decade ago.
   If the conversation veers into the past too much for most tastes,put it on Rewind. But let's not reflexively react negatively to an event,like a disputed firing of a coach we are still massively reeling from--as not worthy of discussion.
When we stop losing to the likes of William and Mary,UMBC, etc. and start being a top tier team,then it will be less relevant to the current situation, but still relevant to GW basketball history,which has always been fair game here.
  The Athletic Dept has done a masterful job of pretending Lonergan didn't exist, particularly during the Nero era. But even today,with not posting the NIT team trophy pick (or if they did,sure didn't see it on the recent anniversary) and we know why.
By the way,JC very admirably has not pretended ML doesn't exist and took a picture with him. He was able to handle it.
  We speculate on other college teams and coaches here all the time,including a thread active right now. But we're supposed to pretend ML didn't exist or we don't care about someone who turned down nearly $2 million a year, nearly triple his salary to stay at GW,which dismissed him shortly afterward?
  As a further point of relevance: we played UMBC  last season and have in the past. So we would certainly be interested in speculation on their coach,much as we have just been discussing their coach leaving.
  It's months to tipoff. Think if we keep it civil, we can discuss all things GW basketball-related,much less GW-related.

Last edited by jf (4/07/2021 5:26 pm)

4/07/2021 5:19 pm  #10

And the $3 million we paid him to be the wealthiest assistant manager in his hometown of Bowie's gym history, has affected our budget hugely.

4/07/2021 5:27 pm  #11

Good points JF. I heard it was a lot more than $3 million - he was owed $3.4 million on the remainder of his salary and then consider his lawyers had access to Nero humping the young GW student like he was on the mechanical bull before GW negotiated a "non-disclosure" settlement. Our unsuccessful lawyers (dumb and dumber) can't stand the thought of him taking that kind of money away from GW. Then add the $1.2 million they paid Nero to leave without a fuss!

4/07/2021 5:30 pm  #12

Why not mention other possible candidates pulled out my ass: Maurice Joseph, Karl Hobbs, John Keuster, Gerry Gimmelstob? OK, one of them might have a prior commitment. Who gets hired at UMBC should really be a discussion for the UMBC board, unless a current GW employee becomes a part of the conversation.

4/07/2021 5:48 pm  #13

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Why not mention other possible candidates pulled out my ass: Maurice Joseph, Karl Hobbs, John Keuster, Gerry Gimmelstob? OK, one of them might have a prior commitment. Who gets hired at UMBC should really be a discussion for the UMBC board, unless a current GW employee becomes a part of the conversation.

Don't think Gerry is up for coaching unfortunately as he passed away in 2017.

4/07/2021 5:52 pm  #14

The Dude wrote:

Having been fired for abusing his players, just like for the past 5 seasons, there remains zero chance of him landing any job at all in the profession.  

Hence, he's an Assistant Gym Manager in Bowie MD, not a Coach.

I'll be an assistant gym manager in Bowie with over $3 million in the bank provided by my former employer who erroneously fired me based on false accusations. Where do I sign up?

4/07/2021 5:55 pm  #15

Gwmayhem - I think ML would like to coach again. Hopefully, he will be afforded that opportunity. He's served more than he should for bogus charges - and he is too good a coach not to be coaching. If UMBC was smart they'd dial up ML immediately and figure it out.

4/07/2021 6:02 pm  #16

Strange world we live in. What wasn't abuse 10 years ago is now abuse. I see a lot of coaches retiring because the climate of coaching now is much more difficult then 10 years ago.  Listening to Bob Tallent  speak recently about Rupp I can't imagine Rupp not being jailed for what he did. Woody Hayes, etc. 
I don't know what happened to ML. But he was a successful coach and coached at several different schools. Who knows what happened? I wasn't there. All I know is that after the NIT Championship all hell broke loose. Why not 2 years before that? Why not at Vermont or Catholic? It's like who killed Kennedy. I don't know.  

4/07/2021 6:25 pm  #17

GWRising wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Don't think Gerry is up for coaching unfortunately as he passed away in 2017.

That would be the one with a "prior commitment".

4/07/2021 6:35 pm  #18

Well,for one thing, there is a whole  non-GW thread called Coaching Carousel that people part posted in just today on the GW board.
So apparently we are interested in other situations with out GW connections,fanciful or otherwise.

4/07/2021 8:44 pm  #19

I'll bite. 

ML is a good fit for a smaller DI program at a private Catholic University.  Fordham could even be a landing spot--but the A-10 is probably out of reach.  I'm hoping to avoid barbs about Catholics tolerating abusers or a history on the failings of the Catholic Church, but the Catholic mission is about mercy and forgiveness.  Thus, a smaller Catholic school with some basketball interest and looking to elevate its program would be a nice fit--something analogous to Rick Pitino going to Iona. 

I have not been following the coaching carousel too closely, but schools like Loyola, MD, Canisius, Fairfield, Sacred Heart, Marist, and St. Peters are east coast examples.  It's a potential win-win for both coach and school and certainly a proving ground for ML to demonstrate that he is "reformed" and capable of advancing to a larger program.   

Last edited by Merrick (4/07/2021 8:51 pm)

4/07/2021 9:33 pm  #20

Sean Miller might be looking.

Board footera