GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2021 4:13 pm  #81

Re: News Coming ...

There is zero question that the transfer rules are going to be bad for the sport. But you are only looking at the immediate impacts on fan engagement/support. That's the first shoe that drops. Then comes the NIL rights legislation and the second shoe drops - no more middle ground. You either pay to play like the big boys or you retreat to D3. People forget that the basic scholarship was the reason many schools who were football powerhouses in 1940's and 1950's are now D3. I would wager any of you that if the NIL rights legislation goes through - traditional D1 membership will be halved within 10 years. There just isn't the money at most places.

4/15/2021 4:52 pm  #82

GWRising wrote:

There is zero question that the transfer rules are going to be bad for the sport. But you are only looking at the immediate impacts on fan engagement/support. That's the first shoe that drops. Then comes the NIL rights legislation and the second shoe drops - no more middle ground. You either pay to play like the big boys or you retreat to D3. People forget that the basic scholarship was the reason many schools who were football powerhouses in 1940's and 1950's are now D3. I would wager any of you that if the NIL rights legislation goes through - traditional D1 membership will be halved within 10 years. There just isn't the money at most places.

Honestly, for me, that's OK.  If a business can't pay personnel and make money, it shouldn't be in that business!  The concept that schools can just give away scholarships and housing AND restrict kids from earning money in any meaningful way in order for the schools to make money is just an ancient concept.  Yes, it would stink for "the sport."  Yes, it would change the landscape.  But college football and basketball have gotten by on lots of people making good money while the "personnel" play for an unbargainable wage, and without union representation.  By the measure of dollars, GW should be far better at basketball than UNC or UVA, because its scholarship is "worth more."  

4/15/2021 4:56 pm  #83

Almost 1400 transfers at this point out of 4550 total d1 players.  Thats 31%

Holy cow

4/15/2021 5:09 pm  #84

From Tom Gola-Sihugo Green and Guy Rodgers to this mess.Time has passed me by.Time to start
working on my pickle ball  game.

4/15/2021 5:38 pm  #85

brod wrote:

Almost 1400 transfers at this point out of 4550 total d1 players.  Thats 31%

Holy cow

I know of at least two schools - Minnesota and DePaul - that have had 9 players hit the portal.

4/15/2021 5:52 pm  #86

GW73...I understand the point that you're making, but in the NBA you have contracted players each season. They can't leave every season for another team. That way you can become a fan, knowing that a favorite player will be there the next year, and perhaps other. With the way this is turning out, you can literally have an entirely different team each year. NCAA is going to rue the day that they have made this so easy to do. And the players are going to miss one of the important lessons in sports...learning teamwork and loyalty to coach, team and school.

I can understand that the movement of coaches should allow for players to move too. And these coaches have shown very little loyalty to players, teams or schools also.

I guess my point is that the only losers in this are the fans and the school. And like Merrick said, it is taking some of the joy of the game away. And for me, it's taking a lot of the joy.

4/16/2021 1:28 pm  #87

chrisw wrote:

GW73...I understand the point that you're making, but in the NBA you have contracted players each season. They can't leave every season for another team. That way you can become a fan, knowing that a favorite player will be there the next year, and perhaps other. With the way this is turning out, you can literally have an entirely different team each year. NCAA is going to rue the day that they have made this so easy to do. And the players are going to miss one of the important lessons in sports...learning teamwork and loyalty to coach, team and school.

I can understand that the movement of coaches should allow for players to move too. And these coaches have shown very little loyalty to players, teams or schools also.

I guess my point is that the only losers in this are the fans and the school. And like Merrick said, it is taking some of the joy of the game away. And for me, it's taking a lot of the joy.

I know I'm largely on an island here (at least I think so, as it relates to this board), but the difference between the NBA and a devoted fan base is that the players get paid actual money while also maintaining the ability to make more money because of their NBA status.  In the college game, we ask 18-22 year old folks to NOT make money, to NOT have the ability to use their status to make money, and to remain "loyal" to people that are making money around them off of the skills that they cannot profit from.  And then we get sad that these unpaid athletes (or at least athletes paid effectively the same anywhere, with an education that they try to get while playing a sport) want to move from one place to another in the name of unity?  If we don't want players moving, give them contracts.  Contracts where they can actually get paid.  Give them union representation, if they choose.  Allow them to profit off of their own skills and marketability.  If they can actually make money by being tied to a program, maybe the stay.  

As GWrising points out, the schools may not have the money for this.  So, basically, the schools can cry poor as to a reason why they can't pay the student athletes they fundraise off of, profit off of, and "adults" make money from.  If that's the system, I'll deal with being sad that the sport won't be the same.

4/16/2021 2:51 pm  #88

Dan J has a thoughtful argument for the other side.
However,the free education is nothing to be sneezed at.
Probably with books and all, well over $300,000 value. Even more with the few fringes.In addition to being admitted to a university without having  to compete for it against many others like the average student, dedicated academic support services other students don't get, meals and training table in a time of food insecurity for some students, free travel around the U.S. and even internationally once every four years,being lionized on campus (we literally have had virtually building tall banners of players) and all the social advantages that come with it.
  One of the obvious minuses is you are held to your sport much of the time in terms of going home, with friends, etc. and can't work during the school year,though you get some stipend.
You can see where this lack of profiting is a real disadvantage at say,Duke. Yet to be honest, while it would seem that students should prosper off their own likeness,etc.,it's not a serious issue at GW or many non P5 schools. Maybe wrong,but don't think athletics are a real profit center for GW as a university.
  On the student side of the ledger,we all hear about the crushing burden of student loans. But full scholarship athletes have the considerable advantage of not having student loans.
It's really a tough athletic/society question on how to make things fairer and remedy the unfair parts of the system that need to be addressed. In the meantime, we have to make sure our scholarship athletes and all GW students don't want for any the basics of student life.
  The trickle down impact on us could certainly be great if big money enters the equation. May well be missing something, but not sure if it the schools/NCAA profiting unfairly is something GW is responsible for,even though the NCAA in general and some other schools may be evil.
Could well be wrong,but perhaps for once,GW is not the bad guy/university in the equation.

4/16/2021 3:57 pm  #89

Dan, I wasn't making a comment about that at all. I was just saying that the moving of players hurts the fans, and that the NBA doesn't do that in the way that the NCAA is doing now (hopfully there will be a change post covid).

But since you brought it up, and I don't stand on your island or on the mainland...I guess I'm all wet. I do wonder, where it will end? Remember the jocks in your high school...three sport letters and all? They sell tickets to those events. Shouldn't they get a cut? And what about the bench sitters? Do they get the same amount of money as the 'stars'? What about the money that the little league pulls from their little 7-11's at the field? Shouldn't the money go to the players? Grandma and Grandpa wouldn't be there buying bottled water if Jr. wasn't pitching that day. I know I'm going far, but really, if you do one, it's going to keep going. It always does.

4/16/2021 4:17 pm  #90

Good debate, but I encourage you to keep this to "News Coming" and if your debate veers to another topic to please start a new thread.  Thanks!

B.

4/17/2021 9:48 am  #91

GWRising wrote:

Thomas wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Don't think JC is really all that concerned about this, pushing to file a complaint or hasn't moved on. But you begin to realize in this transfer process which guys in this business are honorable and which guys are snakes.

Is any coach going to file a complaint or try to block a player from transferring at this point? A few years ago, there was a player who wanted to transfer from Wisconsin to Iowa or vice versa and the coach attempted to block it, he reversed his position after ESPN became aware of the situation and made him look bad on their shows. It looks like the days of coaches trying to strong-arm players into staying or honoring their letter of intent are over.  

You don't have to block the transfer. You can just drop a dime to the NCAA ... the rest will happen. And yes, there are many coaches not happy about how some of these transfers went down.  Roy Williams retired over it.

That's an underhanded yet CLEVER(lol) way for a coach to get back at really good players who transfer unexpectedly!! I'm assuming coaches now take this approach instead of making thing difficult like Bo Ryan did with Uthoff and Seth Greenberg did with Nigel Munson-GW several years ago. I don't think coaches will be able to pull that garbage off nowadays. I'm sure Patrick Ewing would have blocked Wahab from transferring to Maryland, and Penny Hardaway would have blocked some of his key players from transferring to certain schools in a previous era. 

4/19/2021 2:27 pm  #92

The Hatchet published an interview with Brelsford who discussed his reason for transferring:

“I was looking for a better opportunity to play my natural position at the point guard spot,” Brelsford said. “I just figured at GW, I don’t think I was going to be able to get that opportunity to play my natural position and to maximize at my natural position.”

Makes sense given we have Bishop, Freeman, and Harris all higher up on the depth chart at PG.

Brelsford also provided the mindset of the current crop of college athletes.  Goes to GWRising's longstanding point that kids today will not tolerate coming off the bench if another school offers more PT:

“It’s all about opportunity. Basketball is all about opportunity because if you’re not in the right opportunity to showcase your talents or what you can do, then it’s pointless. It’s all about just getting the best opportunity for yourself to maximize your potential.”

4/20/2021 1:35 pm  #93

GW0509 wrote:

The Hatchet published an interview with Brelsford who discussed his reason for transferring:

“I was looking for a better opportunity to play my natural position at the point guard spot,” Brelsford said. “I just figured at GW, I don’t think I was going to be able to get that opportunity to play my natural position and to maximize at my natural position.”

Makes sense given we have Bishop, Freeman, and Harris all higher up on the depth chart at PG.

Brelsford also provided the mindset of the current crop of college athletes.  Goes to GWRising's longstanding point that kids today will not tolerate coming off the bench if another school offers more PT:

“It’s all about opportunity. Basketball is all about opportunity because if you’re not in the right opportunity to showcase your talents or what you can do, then it’s pointless. It’s all about just getting the best opportunity for yourself to maximize your potential.”

Not the first guy who left because he wanted to be a PG, even if he’s really more of a lead guard or combo guard than a PG.   Not even the first this season.

Last edited by Free Quebec (4/20/2021 3:14 pm)

4/20/2021 2:48 pm  #94

While there is no denying a trend is apparent, brought about largely due to the easing up of transfer rules, there just has to be some players out there who would rather be the 7th or 8th man at GW then a starter at Bryant.  For Tyler, I'd say his decision was far more about the future than the past.  Last year, he joins the team as the third guard after James and JNJ (I would have put Tyler ahead of Lincoln despite Lincoln having started some games.  He's likely told that the team is not convinced that either James or JNJ will be able to eat up minutes playing the point.  Today, James, Brayon and Amir can all play the point as GW0509 points out.  Plus, two newcomers via transfer make for an extremely crowded backcourt.  It's very easy to understand why Tyler felt he needed to move on.

4/20/2021 4:52 pm  #95

Gwmayhem wrote:

While there is no denying a trend is apparent, brought about largely due to the easing up of transfer rules, there just has to be some players out there who would rather be the 7th or 8th man at GW then a starter at Bryant.  For Tyler, I'd say his decision was far more about the future than the past.  Last year, he joins the team as the third guard after James and JNJ (I would have put Tyler ahead of Lincoln despite Lincoln having started some games.  He's likely told that the team is not convinced that either James or JNJ will be able to eat up minutes playing the point.  Today, James, Brayon and Amir can all play the point as GW0509 points out.  Plus, two newcomers via transfer make for an extremely crowded backcourt.  It's very easy to understand why Tyler felt he needed to move on.

If you know of any players who would rather be the 7th or 8th man at GW than a starter at Bryant, please let JC know who they are.

4/20/2021 4:56 pm  #96

Have we given up hope of hearing news of a pick up?

4/20/2021 5:59 pm  #97

What interested me and it’s why I bolded it was Brelsford saying it was “pointless” to play college basketball if your not showcasing your talents, presumably as a starter. Considering all the success we’ve had with 6th men throughout our history, it would really a stink if that is the mindset going forward. It also completely dispels the notion that the scholarship to our school means anything outside of playing time on the team.

As stated earlier I do think Brelsford had a case given the depth chart at PG that his odds of playing there were low, but it’s unfortunate that it seems like kids today would rather “showcase their talents” than potentially be a role player on a winning team.

FWIW in a recent interview Bamisile expressed the same sentiments as his reason for leaving VA Tech so this isn’t a GW is cursed thing.

4/20/2021 6:05 pm  #98

BC wrote:

Have we given up hope of hearing news of a pick up?

No JC is out there working. Patience. We had one that we lost at the last minute but there are others. The pandemic has made this a slower process because kids can't come to campus for an official visit right now.

4/20/2021 6:18 pm  #99

GW0509 wrote:

What interested me and it’s why I bolded it was Brelsford saying it was “pointless” to play college basketball if your not showcasing your talents, presumably as a starter. Considering all the success we’ve had with 6th men throughout our history, it would really a stink if that is the mindset going forward. It also completely dispels the notion that the scholarship to our school means anything outside of playing time on the team.

As stated earlier I do think Brelsford had a case given the depth chart at PG that his odds of playing there were low, but it’s unfortunate that it seems like kids today would rather “showcase their talents” than potentially be a role player on a winning team.

FWIW in a recent interview Bamisile expressed the same sentiments as his reason for leaving VA Tech so this isn’t a GW is cursed thing.

We are moving to a place where kids would rather be the star of a bad team than a role player on a good one. Gone is the team first mentality for most. The me first mentality has replaced it. There are exceptions in college basketball but that is generally what we are looking at these days.

Also everyone has pro aspirations except only about 3% will actually be pros to any meaningful extent (livelihood) whether here or abroad. 

4/20/2021 6:36 pm  #100

Blaming the player with a “me first” attitude is understandable...and easy.   On the other hand, recruiting a player as point guard and then recruiting over him and never giving the player a real chance at his natural position (if that is what happened with Brelsford) is akin to throwing a player off of a team.   Certainly can’t blame him for leaving

Board footera