GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2021 8:18 am  #21

Re: Changes to Board Membership Rules - Please Read

I have used my name since Day One as my identifier.  It makes life easy.  It's akin to always telling the truth so you don't have to struggle with what you told to whom.

4/16/2021 9:15 am  #22

BrianPaul wrote:

I'm not quite so certain, Marshall Barry.  Isn't there always room for a Citizens' Safety Committee?  "Good" Vigilantes? A rope?  A tree?

Marshall Barry, you undertook a thankless task. 

Thank You, Barry

BP, thanks.  I know your response was intended to be humorously sarcastic, and am taking it that way. 

However, I'm going to appropriate your comments to point out that it is very easy to have one's posts misconstrued by others.  Your comments (I'm sure) were not serious, yet using references to a rope and a tree during a time where many people (including me) are rightfully sensitive to inappropriate violence among law enforcement, BLM, and inherent racism in America could lead to further friction (leading to needless debate and personal attacks) on the board that is not intended.  Just using this to illustrate the problem.  You could say that's a stretch, but it's not.  We've all seen how that happens.

Board member JF put the solution very succinctly and effectively in an earlier response in this thread:  "the solution is simple and non-technical:  address each other with at least a modicum of civility and we ill be just fine." 

Thanks to all for adopting (or for most of us, continuing) the policy of being civil and good to each other while not losing sight of our ultimate objective: to support and be a part of (hopefully) the successes that occur within GW Athletics and especially the basketball program.

Cheers,

Barry

4/16/2021 11:51 am  #23

And just when things were normal on this site the last 48 hours until today!

Barry, it's simple. Look at most of the other fan sites which don't seem to have the problems this one has. It boils down to a few (2) who want to talk about irrelevant and inflammatory topics like politics, lynching, suicide, personal and family issues, etc.

Can you get these individuals to stick to GW Basketball? I doubt it but you certainly are trying.

4/16/2021 12:05 pm  #24

Barry-I realize you have a near impossible task here-keeping the Board civil.Having said that I refuse to be held responsible for comments that may be “misconstrued “ by others.Brian’s comment was a good example -
but not in the way you suggest.He simply was having fun and it was clear to me that there was absolutely 
no malicious intent.If somebody believed it was racist and or inappropriate that’s their problem.I am a “good boy” and I play by the rules.You knew Brian’s intent -and so did we all.

4/16/2021 12:21 pm  #25

I don't know Brian's "intent" nor do I wish to speculate on it either way. I don't know how anyone else knows his "intent" either based on message board postings alone when things are open to competing interpretations unless you are a mind reader. That's sort of Barry's point I think - without the context of being able to know context, character, tonation and body language, etc. - things can get misconstrued.  

4/16/2021 12:39 pm  #26

I’m scared to post!!This is really getting out of hand.I don’t know much about “Art” but I know it when I see it.
The problem is in the subtext of Barry’s repose-that is that’s there is “real” racism out there.That’s where the 
fight belongs.I know this Board is about BBall and 95 percent is dedicated to that-as it should be.
But no levity ever?

4/16/2021 12:43 pm  #27

Yes Brian we all have agendas even you.

4/16/2021 12:51 pm  #28

Not inferring anything is the point Brian. When written words on a message board are open to interpretation, interpretations get made and perhaps not the interpretation you intended. Only you know what you intended. Again, that's the larger point you are missing. 

4/16/2021 12:52 pm  #29

I love levity. Be funny, please!  

But it doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to know that in creating this board, I've inherited a community of GW Hoops fans who have had some challenges getting along, history that just won't go away.  I have no problem with that...conflict is natural. 

We all know that something that can be said with a smile and a laugh in person doesn't translate the same in text.  I won't rehash the arguments, but (and this is for those who've been involved in these kinds of debates that have gotten personal), I ask you, did you go into these discussions thinking you were going to say something that would get someone upset?  Did you intend to create a personal attack?  

I believe in human decency as the norm, not the outlier. 

I look at some of you and having done research on social media (yes, I've done that), I just don't believe that the attitudes and tone of this board (for those who've been attacked or have had perceived attacks by them) were intended.  

My comment about BP's comment was not about him.  It was intended to illustrate how things can get misconstrued (as my comments, in fact, did; sorry for that, truly).  

OK, I hope/think I've made my point.  Whether it makes a difference or not, that is yet to be seen.  

Thanks to all.

Barry

(FYI, I am unpinning this thread as I think everyone who is a "regular" has seen it.)

B.

4/16/2021 1:30 pm  #30

That is the point Rising.If I “know “ my intentions are good-and I mean after deep internal reflection-even though I may be the only who is aware of my intent -I cannot be held responsible for someone interpreting 
It differently.One has to be completely honest with themself and not “rationalize “ their comments.

Two therapists meet on an elevator -One says to the other—“How are you? -The other thinks”I wonder what he meant by that”?  I think he meant “”How are you”!!!   

Thank you Barry-I do appreciate your response.  I’ll stop now -I promise!!

4/16/2021 2:34 pm  #31

Sadly, the larger point is still being missed and therefore, some of the angst on this board is likely to remain.  I won't speculate as to whether this is inadvertent or by design.  

The larger point is to say that as long as I know what I intended and those intentions were above board, anyone else who doesn't get this is the one with the problem is just wrong.  Everyone here has to give more serious thought to how their words could reasonably be interpreted.  I have stopped a few posts in the past because I realize that there may be a dual meaning or another interpretation to what I am saying that I do not mean to project.  

Clearly, there must be room for levity here without bringing racially charged imagery into the discussion.  Not really a huge bar when you stop and think about it.

4/16/2021 3:19 pm  #32

I have a response Mayhem-but I promised I’m done.You have the last word.

4/16/2021 3:20 pm  #33

BrianPaul, I "claimed" nothing of the sort.  I actually said that I find myself taking on the role.  There was nothing connoting vigilantism, fascism, ignorance, or for that matter, literal about the statement.  You must be hellbent on stirring up trouble if you find my remark to be offensive.  

Speaking of board administrators, he asked that old feuds be dropped.  Are you able to do this or not?  He was also the one to point to your post and mention the problems with it.  Around 8 other people are saying the same thing.  Are you incapable of being wrong, or just listening to anyone?

4/16/2021 4:07 pm  #34

GW69, you obviously haven't been following GW Basketball for long. Had you for 2+ years, you would know all about BP, Ziik and the other names he would use.

Barry, time to shut this thread down.

To everyone, this board (and the previous GWHoops Board) is the laughingstock of the A-10.
News Flash: recruits and their parents often look at fan boards when doing their research and due diligence on a university they are considering. I cringe at the thought of how many people have been turned off by reading this garbage by a small fraction of fans.

4/16/2021 4:14 pm  #35

Joel Joseph, thanks for the advice.  I'm not going to shut it down (I might eventually delete some posts if it gets off topic or into attacks, but that's not happening yet.

As for the people who are attacking each other under the guise of a discussion about the semantics of what I said and/or meant, I encourage you to keep it up.  Happy to make you the first to disappear from the board for a while if you can't just keep from attacking each other.

B.

Board footera