GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2021 7:48 pm  #61

Re: Recruit: Tafara Gapare, Forward, 2022 - (Committed to Massachusetts)

Is he still coming?  I thought someone said it was in doubt?

3/16/2021 10:23 pm  #62

Not in 2021

3/16/2021 10:29 pm  #63

GWRising wrote:

Not in 2021

What about 2022?

3/18/2021 5:54 pm  #64

It is clearly in Tafara's best interests to come here. A terrific place for an international player from the
Pacific region. Ask Yuta, who has gone to great fame in his home country after going to GW.
  But why are we confident he is coming after reclassifying? That isn't a great sign, although there are many reasons he should come to GW.

3/18/2021 5:56 pm  #65

jf wrote:

It is clearly in Tafara's best interests to come here. A terrific place for an international player from the
Pacific region. Ask Yuta, who has gone to great fame in his home country after going to GW.
  But why are we confident he is coming after reclassifying? That isn't a great sign, although there are many reasons he should come to GW.

I think someone mentioned that the school years didn't align perfectly so that if he did come in 2021 it wouldn't be until the second half of 2021?  Yuta was already playing high school ball in the States so he was on our school schedule before matriculating.  

4/10/2021 2:02 pm  #66

4/22/2021 9:07 am  #67

4/29/2021 7:33 pm  #68

4/29/2021 7:57 pm  #69

The article that goes with the above vid

https://pickandroll.com.au/p/could-tafara-gapare-be-new-zealand

4/29/2021 8:02 pm  #70

Some words in that article and at the end of the video that make me nervous. But I'll focus on the positive 

4/29/2021 10:49 pm  #71

Florida Colonial wrote:

Some words in that article and at the end of the video that make me nervous. But I'll focus on the positive 

Nervous? You really are an optimist or an ostrich, FC. Transfers are one thing. Nima even bigger. Together? Hope for the best but hold off on that flag order just yet.

4/30/2021 6:12 am  #72

Poog, maybe I need to explain my comment. It had nothing to do with Nima or the transfers, but more about someone in the NZ press brining up the concern that many of us have about Gapare not actually showing up at GW. I'm fully aware that until he signs a LOI or shows up on campus, nothing is for sure. So no I'm not an "ostrich" but yes I do chose to be an optimist on topics like GW basketball/sports because there are a lot of other things in the world that have become increasingly hard to be optimistic about. With that said there are some on this board (not myself) who seem to be close to the basketball staff and they continue to show optimism that Gapare will indeed enroll in the Spring.  

4/30/2021 8:06 am  #73

at the beginning of the video there were some words to the effect of  : "Gapare was currently committed to GW"  The word "currently" makes me very nervous.

4/30/2021 8:31 am  #74

How optimistic or pessimistic we view things here will not change reality one bit.  I think we all know that generally speaking, players decide on schools to play for based as much on relationships with coaches than any other factor.  In Gapare's case, the primary point of contact was Nima  and he is no longer at GW.  From the player's point of view, you are preparing to travel across the world based largely in part on the trust that's been built up with someone who won't even be there.  Then, add to this the number of player defections and you would be crazy not to ask yourself whether this is what you "signed up for?"

What GW has going for it in this scenario is Jamion Christian.  If anyone could salvage a situation like this, it would be JC.  Either Tafara will build up trust with JC and come or he will pursue another option.  It does sound like the thought of playing US College basketball continues to be in his best interests insofar as developing his game.  Nevertheless, you can't read this article and conclude that GW is a done deal by any stretch of the imagination.

4/30/2021 9:59 am  #75

Poog wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Nervous? You really are an optimist or an ostrich, FC. Transfers are one thing. Nima even bigger. Together? Hope for the best but hold off on that flag order just yet.

Poog, last we heard a couple of weeks ago he was planning to come to GW in December, spend a semester getting acclimated and then play the next year. 

Are you saying that information is no longer operative, or are you just being cautious in an “anything can happen” sense?

4/30/2021 10:23 am  #76

Heck, if he doesn't like it at GW then he could just transfer out. Being in Washington D.C. should be enough of a incentive. Test his talent at the A10 level, then who knows? Coming from a small island nation to a big, important, world city is a big transition. I always got a kick out of people coming to New York for the first time. Always craning their necks up with open mouths. Like friends of mine who never saw lightning bugs or snow before. Reverse is Big City people  seeing the western skies at night for the first time with shooting stars and the Milky Way.  

4/30/2021 11:00 am  #77

Free Quebec wrote:

Poog wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Poog, last we heard a couple of weeks ago he was planning to come to GW in December, spend a semester getting acclimated and then play the next year. 

Are you saying that information is no longer operative, or are you just being cautious in an “anything can happen” sense?

I have no inside information whatsoever about the status of Gapare coming to GW or for that matter, and more importantly, the credibility of the source for the speculation  about Nima and the number of transfers out of GW. If I’m sitting in the land of Murray and thinking I have a basketball stud and assessing American college basketball, I don’t believe I would think that GW is the place to go to maximize his opportunities. That’s what I’m reacting to in saying don’t order any flags. He didn’t sign (as if that matters). The guy that supposedly was his main recruiter is no longer at GW. The school’s record doesn’t speak hoops excellence. I’m not going to worry about whether Dan Gadzuric or Alan Iverson or Roland Houston’s nephew are going to come to GW. I’ll remain excited about who is signed and coming next year and the breath of fresh air on the women’s side that is about to blossom. Oh yeah, and the eventual showdown against Fordham on the softball diamond. As for Gapare  I’ll simply hold out hope that he’ll eventually enroll at GW.

Last edited by Poog (4/30/2021 11:02 am)

4/30/2021 2:40 pm  #78

Poog wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Poog wrote:

I have no inside information whatsoever about the status of Gapare coming to GW or for that matter, and more importantly, the credibility of the source for the speculation  about Nima and the number of transfers out of GW. If I’m sitting in the land of Murray and thinking I have a basketball stud and assessing American college basketball, I don’t believe I would think that GW is the place to go to maximize his opportunities. That’s what I’m reacting to in saying don’t order any flags. He didn’t sign (as if that matters). The guy that supposedly was his main recruiter is no longer at GW. The school’s record doesn’t speak hoops excellence. I’m not going to worry about whether Dan Gadzuric or Alan Iverson or Roland Houston’s nephew are going to come to GW. I’ll remain excited about who is signed and coming next year and the breath of fresh air on the women’s side that is about to blossom. Oh yeah, and the eventual showdown against Fordham on the softball diamond. As for Gapare  I’ll simply hold out hope that he’ll eventually enroll at GW.

Ok.   Thanks for clarifying.  And as far as I know he confirmed his intention to come and then his plan to arrive in December long after Nima was gone.  Also disagree that GW is not the place to maximize opportunities. Worked well for Yuta and Pato and many others - and much better to come here, get the attention, and play right away than go to some football school where he might be stuck behind others (see; Bamisile, Joe). Plus GW is an incredible place to grow and learn. If I’m a parent, I’d rather my basketball prodigy son go here than, say, Columbia, Missouri or Ames, Iowa.

4/30/2021 2:49 pm  #79

Free Quebec wrote:

Poog wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Ok.   Thanks for clarifying.  And as far as I know he confirmed his intention to come and then his plan to arrive in December long after Nima was gone.  Also disagree that GW is not the place to maximize opportunities. Worked well for Yuta and Pato and many others - and much better to come here, get the attention, and play right away than go to some football school where he might be stuck behind others (see; Bamisile, Joe). Plus GW is an incredible place to grow and learn. If I’m a parent, I’d rather my basketball prodigy son go here than, say, Columbia, Missouri or Ames, Iowa.

Murray land is New Zealand. Not sure Yuta and Pato mean anything out there. That’s all I’m saying

4/30/2021 5:21 pm  #80

Poog wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Poog wrote:

Murray land is New Zealand. Not sure Yuta and Pato mean anything out there. That’s all I’m saying

Yes, I got the Flight of the Conchords reference.

Was it St Mary’s that had a long run of players from New Zealand?

Board footera