GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2021 9:24 am  #1

The Transfer Strategy: Temporary or Permanent

At GW, recruiting strategies have often been easily defined.  The Jarvis era was the first to truly capitalize on the international market.  The Penders era placed  a premium on those who could score even if that meant sacrificing some defense.  The Hobbs era found several players arrive from questionable prep schools, players who were eligible to play according to the NCAA but who would eventually lack support from the university's administration (based on primarily NYT and WP articles).  The Lonergan era combined a desire to cultivate local talent with an ability to fill needs with underutilized players from major programs. 

If we were to define the JC era in a single word right now, that word would have to be transfers.  Transfers have not only replaced players who played under MoJo but they have also begun to replace players who JC and his staff recruited to GW.    While there is a natural tendency for a new coach to want his own recruits rather than someone else's in his program, there are two unique factors, one temporary and one permanent, which have served to facilitate this wave of transfers.  The temporary factor is that everyone who played last season did not lose a season of eligibility due to Covid.  This was also the case the year prior due to the cancellation of the NCAA tournament and most conference tournaments.  The permanent factor is that it appears that players will no longer have to sit out a year after transferring (unless the transfer is not their first).  To the player, this translates to any penalty due to transferring has been lifted.  

If I've counted correctly, Noel Brown is the only scholarship player on the roster who is not an incoming freshman or who did not transfer into the program.  8 of 9 scholarship players who are not incoming freshmen have transferred in (or 9 of 10 if Brandon Leftwich is still on the team and is on scholarship).  Of these 8 players, four are arriving for this season, three arrived for 2020-21, and only Amir Harris arrived prior to then.   

It's also worth pointing out that the sport has seen it's share of paradigm shifts over the time.  When I was growing up, teams needed to stay together for four years in order to learn how to win.  Eventually, players were allowed to leave school early so having Michael Jordan on UNC for three years was arguably worth more than almost any other player staying for four years.  Over time, it made a statement to play in college for one year and then turn pro, so many schools began to embrace the one-and-done.  John Calipari and eventually, Coach K turned this into a cottage industry.

So with the transfer market becoming as vibrant as ever before, where does JC fit into this picture?  Was his plan to restock over these past two years to get the program back on track, only to ultimately shift back to taking in occasional transfer, relying more heavily on incoming high school players?  Or, will he be perhaps on the cusp of the sport's latest shift, bringing in say 3-4 transfers each season, largely due to new player freedom when transferring, and thereby becoming less reliant on bringing in incoming freshmen?

It's worth pointing out that I do not see this as an extreme, one or the other situation.  In other words, I do not foresee JC abandoning all transfers or all high school players from here on in.  The better way to address this question is to ask which you feel he will become more reliant upon, transfers or high school players.

6/30/2021 5:36 am  #2

Re: The Transfer Strategy: Temporary or Permanent

Think I may just go back to reading Chip Hilton books and somehow finding old Gil Thorpe comic strips to reread.

6/30/2021 8:23 am  #3

Poog wrote:

Think I may just go back to reading Chip Hilton books and somehow finding old Gil Thorpe comic strips to reread.

Dos this comment suggest that my post isn't a worthwhile topic to discuss?  Am obviously biased but I'd say it's a  relevant discussion both for the sport as a whole as well as specifically concerning JC & GW?  Will teams routinely taking in (give or take) 4 transfers per season become the new normal?  Will this be the roadmap that JC follows in the future even if the sport settles back to say 1-2 transfers per season?   Or from GW's vantage point, was this a temporary fix to building a (hopefully) competitive team?  Within a few years, will GW be back to numbers more like 1-2 transfers and 4-5 freshman per season?

6/30/2021 9:20 am  #4

Gwmayhem wrote:

Poog wrote:

Dos this comment suggest that my post isn't a worthwhile topic to discuss?  Am obviously biased but I'd say it's a  relevant discussion both for the sport as a whole as well as specifically concerning JC & GW?  Will teams routinely taking in (give or take) 4 transfers per season become the new normal?  Will this be the roadmap that JC follows in the future even if the sport settles back to say 1-2 transfers per season?   Or from GW's vantage point, was this a temporary fix to building a (hopefully) competitive team?  Within a few years, will GW be back to numbers more like 1-2 transfers and 4-5 freshman per season?

Sensitivities on this Board have apparently been drilled into everyone’s head. You can bring up any topic and discuss it for as long as you want. Not my place to play blackboard monitor nor my desire to do so. Simply saying I’d rather go back to a simpler time when Clair Bee was writing about a young athlete playing a sport every season and the Gil Thorpe comic dealt with much less nuanced issues as a coach. Sure I’d prefer having athletes stay for 4 years at the same school. That was always the appeal of college sports. Times have changed. I get it. I’ll roll with the punches. GW will still get my money and butt in the seats at multiple sports events. I may even read some of the back and forth discussions that take place here. Or maybe I’ll look for those Franklin W. Dixon books about those two brother amateur sleuths and their detective father.

6/30/2021 10:24 am  #5

Poog, I am sorry for misinterpreting your initial post.  Everyone likely knows by now that emails, texts, board posts, etc. often run the risk of being misunderstood.  I can see from your explanation that your post reflected your preference for an earlier, simpler time (where players stayed 4 years for the most part) and was not an indictment on the topic of the thread.  My apologies.

6/30/2021 10:39 am  #6

I don't think JC or anyone else knows what the brave new world is going to look like more than about 12 months out. Things are moving so fast ,,, transfer rules, NIL legislation. It's hard to have a defined strategy for very long when the ground keeps moving. What may be the plan today may need to be adapted quickly. That's not just a GW issue but a college basketball issue. That said, I think JC's current plan is a mix of transfers and HS recruits, each of which will ebb and flow depending on needs and experience of the team. The more veteran the team the more likely he will go younger, the less veteran the team, the more likely he will go the transfer route. I think it will also depend on several other factors - specifically the talent depth of a HS class at a specific position of need and the talent depth of the transfer market in a given year at a specific position of need. I think the one thing you can say about JC is he is flexible enough to change his desired approach when needed.

Last edited by GWRising (6/30/2021 10:40 am)

6/30/2021 3:24 pm  #7

I'm experiencing the same thing with baseball too. I understand what's going on and some of the reasons why, but reading Angell, Kahn and Posnanski is more fun than watching or digging into all the issues. (I find the Nats  radio guys an easy non-homer listen.)

6/30/2021 4:34 pm  #8

It’s permanent.   This is what college basketball is now they players have more power.

Board footera