GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2021 6:31 pm  #1

Kenner League

Do any of the board insiders have any info on whether the Kenner League will take place this Summer? And if so, if the GW players will be participating? I looked on the NCAA site and so far only 14 summer leagues have been certified, and Kenner isn't listed yet.
https://web3.ncaa.org/bbcs/publishedEvents

5/15/2021 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Kenner League

I have been wondering the same thing.    The Kenner League has a history of being notoriously slow in getting itself together and releasing information.   

5/16/2021 8:34 pm  #3

D.C. is about to open up/lift a lot of the COVID restrictions in a few weeks(June 1st??) so I assume this will clear the way for the Kenner League to return in July. If the Kenner League does return, do you think any coach or parent would have an issue with their son/player participating? I've posted 2 Kenner League social media pages down below, there is no information about a July return but they did post a recent article on Yuta on their twitter page

https://twitter.com/KennerLeague  

https://www.instagram.com/kennerleague/  

6/15/2021 11:40 am  #4

A month has passed since this thread started and true to form, there are absolutely no Kenner updates that I am aware of, literally a few weeks away from when the league would normally start.  It could be a matter of days, not weeks or months, before any Kenner information is disseminated.

Am wondering whether GWRising or anyone else may know whether: a) Kenner is taking place, b) there will be any crowd restrictions, and c) GW players will be participating (as well as whether any will not be).  Since we can never seem to get this information in a timely manner from the league itself, maybe we can receive some information from GW itself? 

6/15/2021 12:10 pm  #5

I am not sure what the status is. I have heard conflicting statements. One is what Thomas posted. The other is that the League may not happen this Summer due to COVID restrictions. Not sure which is true. I guess we will find out soon.

6/15/2021 1:17 pm  #6

Will Longing for Oscar be attending?

6/27/2021 12:38 pm  #7

Just checking in.  Anybody?   Can't find anything on Kenner League that is less than 2 years old.   Given the large number of new players, it would have been nice to get a sneak preview during the summer.

6/29/2021 11:23 am  #8

Let's bump this thread considering that Kenner would normally be starting this weekend.  There has been no indication as to whether they will begin this weekend or at all.  This is unusual even for those who run the Kenner League who are notoriously slow with providing details.  Does anyone connected with GW basketball know at this point whether there will be a season and if so, whether our players will be participating?

6/29/2021 1:25 pm  #9

I'm skeptical that Kenner will be on this year.

6/29/2021 1:59 pm  #10

Here are some updates according to one of the Hoya boards.  Kenner is sponsored by Nike and without a sponsor, there is no Kenner.  Nike thus far has not committed to its summer league sponsorships anywhere in the U.S.  

One person said that there would be no Kenner this year (according to the word on the street) while another indicated that this won't be definitive for another week or two.  Sounds like it could conceivably happen if another sponsor is found but the odds don't look too good at this point.

6/30/2021 9:26 am  #11

Thank you Mayhem.  Interesting info, even if it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to hear.  

7/02/2021 2:29 pm  #12

So it looks like there's officially no Kenner this year.
https://twitter.com/KennerLeague/status/1411033673265254402?s=19

7/02/2021 4:35 pm  #13

Block or Charge wrote:

Block or Charge, thank you for posting this update. I feel this is the only responsible decision as cases are now increasing mostly due to continued anti-mask wearing sentiment and anti-vaxxers spreading the disease, including new even more sinister variants.  We need to get back to mandatory mask wearing for all immediately as the non-vaccinated seem to only care about themselves.  Having indoors activities with crowds would probably result in increased spread and serious illness.  At this point, I feel once late fall rolls around, we will discussing the possibility of canceling basketball season again.

Last edited by 22ndandF (7/02/2021 4:37 pm)

7/02/2021 8:18 pm  #14

Thank you for the link.  We now have closure on the Kenner League question

7/03/2021 2:19 pm  #15

22ndandF wrote:

Block or Charge wrote:

Block or Charge, thank you for posting this update. I feel this is the only responsible decision as cases are now increasing mostly due to continued anti-mask wearing sentiment and anti-vaxxers spreading the disease, including new even more sinister variants.  We need to get back to mandatory mask wearing for all immediately as the non-vaccinated seem to only care about themselves.  Having indoors activities with crowds would probably result in increased spread and serious illness.  At this point, I feel once late fall rolls around, we will discussing the possibility of canceling basketball season again.

22ndandF - my information is that the decision likely had little to do with crowds or indoor activities or COVID. It had more to do with what Gwmayhem posted above - lack of sponsorship dollars. The gym at Georgetown isn't free and you have to get the league certified. Sponsorship is evaluated by the NCAA as part of certification process.

The other reason I know this had little to do with COVID is the fact that presently there is a HS Summer League with crowds at DeMatha and there have been live events for HS both in Maryland and in DC the past 2 weekends.

The only thing that is going to be game changer for COVID going forward is if a variant breaks through the vaccine. If not, this is largely over for the vaccinated and the unvaccinated will likely continue to be affected (their choice). I don't see us ever locking down again unless the game changing condition occurs. 

Board footera