GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2021 5:00 pm  #21

Re: Transfer: Ira Lee, Forward, 2017 - Transferring from Arizona

Good calls Lowpost.  I thought of Brian earlier (and should have thought of Bob) but decided to keep the discussion more current (as you gathered).

7/14/2021 8:27 pm  #22

Sina came in after being on the Big East All Rookie team.

7/14/2021 10:13 pm  #23

Jaren Sina won more games for GW than James Bishop did, so I would argue he was more valuable.  Sina was the main reason why that GW team won 20 games in MoJos first year.  While not the most athletic or flashy player, he was a stabilizing force in the backcourt and was the only reason GW was able to run a coherent offense.  Does anyone else remember how bad GW looked without him in the UIC game to end the season?  Sina was the unsung hero of that team. 

Bishop is explosive and scores a lot of points.  However, I don't see him making the team better.  If he was that good, the team would have won more than 5 games.  In any basketball game, no matter how bad the team is, someone has to score the points.  On this GW team, its Bishop.   Being the best of a series of bad options doesn't necessarily make someone good.  I'm interested in seeing what happens this year with some more talent around him.  

7/14/2021 11:09 pm  #24

porter71 wrote:

Jaren Sina won more games for GW than James Bishop did, so I would argue he was more valuable.  Sina was the main reason why that GW team won 20 games in MoJos first year.  While not the most athletic or flashy player, he was a stabilizing force in the backcourt and was the only reason GW was able to run a coherent offense.  Does anyone else remember how bad GW looked without him in the UIC game to end the season?  Sina was the unsung hero of that team. 

Bishop is explosive and scores a lot of points.  However, I don't see him making the team better.  If he was that good, the team would have won more than 5 games.  In any basketball game, no matter how bad the team is, someone has to score the points.  On this GW team, its Bishop.   Being the best of a series of bad options doesn't necessarily make someone good.  I'm interested in seeing what happens this year with some more talent around him.  

Agree that Sina was underrated by many here, (though I think he would have done better with an actual experienced head coach).

But I thumb you underrate Bishop by a lot.  Yes, his defense was a weak, particularly early in the season, but he is one of the most gifted offensive players we’ve had and if he shocked if having more athletic talent around him and more experience  (plus hopefully other ball handlers to take some of the load off him unlike last year when the only other guy who could handle it was a freshman combo guard who didn’t emerge until late)  didn’t help him look more like a guy who makes his team better.   

This board always seems to crap on new inexperienced point guards, but I see some serious talent in Bishop.

7/15/2021 12:44 am  #25

Bishop is indeed extremely talented. 

was leading the nation in assist % for most of the season, while averaging over 20 points a game, but called "selfish" over and over again by the same person here, that's not "a board" that's just 1 guy.  Same thing with the game thread being bombarded by incessant negativity, something you've also alluded to

Bishop beats his man off the dribble like a drum to set up his teammates, Sina didn't penetrate one time successfully in a full season, he just wasn't quick enough to do that, lacked length, bounce, quickness.    

Last edited by The Dude (7/15/2021 1:08 am)

7/15/2021 10:25 am  #26

Dude, I was not the person who called him selfish, but I definitely think at the beginning of the season that he was making some poor decisions related to end-of-game.  Later in the season I didn't see the same thing and I'm excited to see what he can do in year 2 with GW.

7/16/2021 9:57 am  #27

Wasn't Sina involved in the put back play against Florida on the path to the NIT championship?

7/16/2021 10:10 am  #28

No, that was Alex Mitola.  Sina was not part of the NIT Championship team.  And, that putback at the buzzer was against Hofstra in the opening round.  Tyler hit a big 3 with about a minute left to knock out Florida.

7/16/2021 12:49 pm  #29

Mitola was quick, undersized but very athletic

Sina was among the least athletic Guards at GW in memory, zero quickness no lift. Zero ability to penetrate or create for others.

7/16/2021 2:17 pm  #30

Jaren was probably also the least quick and least athletic player with an inability to penetrate or create for others to make the First Team All Big East Rookie Team.

What do those Big East coaches know!!!

7/16/2021 3:17 pm  #31

Proving once again that this board hates first year point guards.  Sina was very solid.

7/16/2021 3:57 pm  #32

Still don't understand why Sina couldn't show up for CBI game. It was once said that 90 per cent of life is showing up.

7/20/2021 6:31 pm  #33

Imagine going from Zeke and Creek to Sina and Goss. What a downfall, now we know why

JC has some really elite talent coming in this year.  

Board footera