GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2021 10:50 am  #21

Re: GW's Best Offseason 2021?

I do not wish to be involved in this discussion only to add that when a team does well, credit  goes to the coach and (to a lesser extent), the  Athletic Director and when a team does not do well,  so does the blame.  This 3rd year, for better or worse, is on Christian and Tanya.

7/24/2021 1:19 pm  #22

To be clear, #2 way ahead of #4 and light years ahead of #5:

1. Hobbs seasons
2. With Strickland/Sutton
3. JC
4. Mojo
5. Without Strickland/Sutton ML recruitment

7/24/2021 3:40 pm  #23

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I do not wish to be involved in this discussion only to add that when a team does well, credit  goes to the coach and (to a lesser extent), the  Athletic Director and when a team does not do well,  so does the blame.  This 3rd year, for better or worse, is on Christian and Tanya.

Agreed, LSF.  With a team of virtually all his players, this is the season that we should see a path toward success-and hopefully sustainable success.

7/24/2021 3:54 pm  #24

Indeed,the BCS level talent should dominate the A10.
In any case,agree it's time to have a quite good season.
Team has literally been totally remade in the coach's time.

7/24/2021 5:15 pm  #25

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Agree.   Especially on Tanya because this should be year 4 of a new regime but she refused to pull the trigger when it was obvious we were headed for a new, more experienced coach and she waited an extra year for reasons that have never been explained.

7/24/2021 6:11 pm  #26

Not her initial decision,but who would have thought hiring the Third assistant for the top job wouldn't work out?

7/25/2021 8:56 am  #27

jf wrote:

Not her initial decision,but who would have thought hiring the Third assistant for the top job wouldn't work out?

No not her initial decision.   But instead of moving on when it was obvious we didn’t have the right coach, she sent out that letter/email saying, essentially, we know he stinks but we aren’t going to make a chance until next year.

7/25/2021 11:14 am  #28

“ This thread has its share of hyperbole.  F- does not exist, not even for my pal The Dude.  “

I must correct you here.  Back in the 90s, one of my friends was really sick with a high fever and wrote this ridiculously impossible to read paper.  The professor was so enraged at the poor quality of the work that it was scored an F - -.  Yes, you read that as “F minus minus”.  We still laugh about it to this day.

7/25/2021 12:09 pm  #29

Mayhem had it right long ago, should've fired ML and promoted Sutton.  

As for JC, big winning usually takes 1.5/2 years after the big offseason, players require time to gel.

Last edited by The Dude (7/25/2021 12:22 pm)

7/25/2021 12:56 pm  #30

Yes, the ML years were filled with terrible recruiting which is a testament to 1 NIT Championship, 1 NCAA appearance and 2 NIT appearances in 5 years (that's extreme sarcasm for the Dude because he apparently has trouble grasping simple concepts).. Apparently the 97-70 overall record has been achieved easily in the subsequent 5 years.

I think you just have to give the Dude credit where it is due ... he lives in a perpetual upside down basketball world. I assume he will tell us next about the USA's dominating performance over France. Can't wait!

7/25/2021 10:40 pm  #31

I know this might be crossing a line but at what point do we decide The Dude might just be "gifted" and start treating him like the mental 5 year old he consistently acts like on here.

7/26/2021 9:08 am  #32

The Dude wrote:

As for JC, big winning usually takes 1.5/2 years after the big offseason, players require time to gel.

I have zero recollection of ever making this statement either on this site, the old site, publicly or privately.  Perhaps Dude if you can provide some evidence of my having made that statement, it might refresh my memory.

As for the more pertinent conversation, it's hard not to notice the participants jockeying for position.  This year is on JC and TV if we don't show improvement.  Players require time to gel is the equivalent of saying that everyone gets another free pass this coming season.

The reality is that showing improvement in 2021-22 is about as close to a factual statement as a prediction could ever be.  Combine the recent influx of talent with the humiliating nature of many of this team's losses over the past two seasons and it's hard not to conclude that there's no place to go but up.  A record of 10-23 next season would technically constitute improvement over last season at least as defined by winning percentage.  And you can assume there's a certain troll here who would not stop talking about the team's improvement should the team go 10-23.  

So if you are of the mindset that JC and/or TV are on a hot seat, you should really define the least amount of improvement that you would be satisfied with.  Is it measured by overall record, conference record, best wins, worst losses, or simply by looking like a more organized and/or competitive team on the court?  Because again, if you just want to nebulously see the arrow pointing in the right direction and the team goes 10-23, get ready to read all about the team's improvement courtesy of one poster.

My modest expectations for this team are:

no worse than an 8th place finish in the conference or a .500 record in conference play
no more than one humiliating loss (defined as a home loss to a lower level conference school, outside of the top 3 schools in their conference, or any loss to a school with an end of season NET of 275 or worse.)

Of course I want more for this team but live up to these two goals and I'll view this as improvement.

7/26/2021 9:47 am  #33

Barry...it may be time to put the kibosh  on this  thread.

7/26/2021 10:43 am  #34

Gwmayhem wrote:

The Dude wrote:

I have zero recollection of ever making this statement either on this site, the old site, publicly or privately.  Perhaps Dude if you can provide some evidence of my having made that statement, it might refresh my memory.

As for the more pertinent conversation, it's hard not to notice the participants jockeying for position.  This year is on JC and TV if we don't show improvement.  Players require time to gel is the equivalent of saying that everyone gets another free pass this coming season.

The reality is that showing improvement in 2021-22 is about as close to a factual statement as a prediction could ever be.  Combine the recent influx of talent with the humiliating nature of many of this team's losses over the past two seasons and it's hard not to conclude that there's no place to go but up.  A record of 10-23 next season would technically constitute improvement over last season at least as defined by winning percentage.  And you can assume there's a certain troll here who would not stop talking about the team's improvement should the team go 10-23.  

So if you are of the mindset that JC and/or TV are on a hot seat, you should really define the least amount of improvement that you would be satisfied with.  Is it measured by overall record, conference record, best wins, worst losses, or simply by looking like a more organized and/or competitive team on the court?  Because again, if you just want to nebulously see the arrow pointing in the right direction and the team goes 10-23, get ready to read all about the team's improvement courtesy of one poster.

My modest expectations for this team are:

no worse than an 8th place finish in the conference or a .500 record in conference play
no more than one humiliating loss (defined as a home loss to a lower level conference school, outside of the top 3 schools in their conference, or any loss to a school with an end of season NET of 275 or worse.)

Of course I want more for this team but live up to these two goals and I'll view this as improvement.

I couldn't agree more with this post. With one slight quibble. No humiliating loss. It is time for JC and TV to show real improvement in the men's basketball program. No more excuses. 

7/26/2021 1:50 pm  #35

Well, it was a fine idea of yours at the time Mailvan.

Even better why not just hire Sutton as HC and pair with Strickland, bypass ML altogether?

But what about the present?

7/26/2021 2:24 pm  #36

No Dude, I didn't ask you to repeat what you had already said.  I asked for evidence that I said it in the first place.  Evidence, proof, something that would suggest you are telling the truth?  Anything besides you know, your word?

I have zero recollection of having ever said or posted this, but rather than call you a liar, I am simply asking you to back up your accusation.  Still waiting.

7/26/2021 3:40 pm  #37

Gwmayhem ... you might be waiting a very long time.

7/26/2021 9:19 pm  #38

This thread is about one he said/she said (or he said/he said) from being moved to the rewind section and closed.  

Before that happens, I will offer my thoughts here.  It is put up time for JC.  Two years ago I said on here that year three was what was the real focus for GW and that hasn't changed.  I'd be satisfied with GW being in the discussion for an NIT bid, would be thrilled with an NCAA appearance, and be disappointed with a .500 league record or less.

That being said, win or lose, I'm going to stay a supporter of JC.  As far as I can tell, he's a great ambassador for GW and leads by example.  He's a teacher, he seems to truly care, and that's enough for me.

7/26/2021 10:10 pm  #39

Well, some of your original instincts proved right about ML, Mailvan.

No such sign with JC who is for sure, a player's Coach and a guy who can attract talent to a school on his own.

7/27/2021 4:25 am  #40

Pulling up his head coaching record, it's hard to have too much faith that there will be significant improvement in this team this year. Aside from that one year where I believe Mount went on a hot streak in their tourney to eek into the first four and a solo 20 win season, JC hasn't really proven (to me) that he can consistently win. I'm glad others here are optimistic but I'm just not seeing it

Board footera