GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2021 2:03 pm  #1

GW Athletics Vault: Men's Basketball Dispatches #6 Virginia

They really bend over backwards to not show Lonergan at all during this video
Shoot, Tony Bennett gets more face time LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxYBWf9yDI

7/28/2021 4:14 pm  #2

Re: GW Athletics Vault: Men's Basketball Dispatches #6 Virginia

Might as well show more Nero, since the school picked him over an honest and winning coach

7/28/2021 4:19 pm  #3

Seriously what wrong with so many of you on this board.. You guys just want to focus on the past and cant go a day without bringing up Nero or Lonergan..   Move on.  Absolutely ridiculous crew of people on here.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (7/28/2021 4:20 pm)

7/28/2021 4:51 pm  #4

Using to old nomenclature- FC +1

7/28/2021 5:08 pm  #5

First, this video is about the past.  And GW created it and put it on their website.  So I guess it's OK to bring up the past regarding the good stuff only?

Second, it is both noteworthy and accurate that Bennett received some face time on this GW video but Lonergan did not.  It was also noteworthy and accurate to point out when Lonergan barely appeared on the NIT championship video.  You won't usually find videos which commemorate big upset victories or championships where the coach who led the team to these triumphs isn't prominently featured.  GW would be better off not making these types of videos if they are going to insist on failing to give credit where it is due, or put another way, pretend that ML was not a part of this.

Third, am sorry this upsets you Florida Colonial, but a perfect storm of disgust does still linger.  A perfect storm meaning:

1) The school backed the wrong person in this power struggle
2) The former coach was likely to have been as "abusive" as most any other division 1 basketball coach in America.    
3) The former coach was coming off an NIT Championship preceded by an NCAA appearance.  The trajectory of the program was very much in the right direction, and has not approached anywhere near this level of success over the past five years.

Finally, this is not an either/or, meaning it's very possible to feel and express resentment for all that has happened while supporting the current program.  If moving on means attending games, watching/streaming games on tv/online, wanting the team to win as much as ever, and wanting success for JC, then I have most definitely moved on. Others here feel similarly.  We all want this program to succeed in a big way.  This doesn't mean we should forget the past, especially when the school is putting out videos encouraging us to remember it.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (7/28/2021 5:10 pm)

7/28/2021 5:23 pm  #6

Gwmayhem wrote:

First, this video is about the past.  And GW created it and put it on their website.  So I guess it's OK to bring up the past regarding the good stuff only?

Second, it is both noteworthy and accurate that Bennett received some face time on this GW video but Lonergan did not.  It was also noteworthy and accurate to point out when Lonergan barely appeared on the NIT championship video.  You won't usually find videos which commemorate big upset victories or championships where the coach who led the team to these triumphs isn't prominently featured.  GW would be better off not making these types of videos if they are going to insist on failing to give credit where it is due, or put another way, pretend that ML was not a part of this.

Third, am sorry this upsets you Florida Colonial, but a perfect storm of disgust does still linger.  A perfect storm meaning:

1) The school backed the wrong person in this power struggle
2) The former coach was likely to have been as "abusive" as most any other division 1 basketball coach in America.    
3) The former coach was coming off an NIT Championship preceded by an NCAA appearance.  The trajectory of the program was very much in the right direction, and has not approached anywhere near this level of success over the past five years.

Finally, this is not an either/or, meaning it's very possible to feel and express resentment for all that has happened while supporting the current program.  If moving on means attending games, watching/streaming games on tv/online, wanting the team to win as much as ever, and wanting success for JC, then I have most definitely moved on. Others here feel similarly.  We all want this program to succeed in a big way.  This doesn't mean we should forget the past, especially when the school is putting out videos encouraging us to remember it.

Well said, totally agree on all counts. 

Also, the way the video is cut - it is 100% deliberate. Which is gross and sad. 
Tight cropped in certain places (opening tip for example) and goes out of its way to not even have him in the background. 

7/28/2021 7:15 pm  #7

Man, sometimes this board sounds like GWAnon.

Also, ML is in the background a couple of times

7/28/2021 8:37 pm  #8

Good points Mayham. I only comment on it because it's obvious and disgusting to still continue to try to act like ML is in the wrong, which the school does with every bs edited video. The school owes that family the biggest apology after those pics came out and right after that nero "abruptly left" aka was forced out and paid to leave quietly (from a reliable source)

7/28/2021 8:38 pm  #9

Gw0509 note you had to look more than halfway through that video for one screenshot

7/28/2021 10:56 pm  #10

Get over it Mailvan, you spent his first years calling for ML to be fired, and eventually he was.
  That was half a decade ago, stop crying about it.  You got what you called for...eventually

7/29/2021 8:54 am  #11

I'd say it misses the point to suggest that ML was in the video.  Yes, he literally was, way in the background.  That's really not the point.  The point is that he was not at all acknowledged, let alone credited, for his role in the accomplishment.  I understand why you could not interview him the way that say JoeMac was interviewed.  However, that doesn't mean he could not have been mentioned in the narration.

Dude, ONCE AGAIN, you would help your case if you could supply evidence or proof that I called for ML's firing (which I most certainly did not).  Demonstrate that I actually said or wrote what you are accusing me of and if it checks out, I'll be happy to state you are correct.  Short of this, you are repeatedly lying at my expense, and am asking you respectfully to please stop doing this.  

7/29/2021 9:09 am  #12

The 0:33 second mark is what gets me. The opening tip of the game is so closely and awkwardly cropped it is silly how obviously they went out of their way to keep him out of the video. 

You would think they would want to show the wild crowd at opening tip -- but apparently not.

All that said - it is still a pretty good video and flashback to the game

7/29/2021 8:42 pm  #13

I've been off the board for the last couple of days.  I come back and more of this sh*t.  

The past is passed and I'm bored of this board debate about something that isn't going to change and has no remaining impact on the program.  The coaching staff has changed over twice now, every player who's come into the program has probably transferred twice to other schools, and the only people who care are those on this board who just want to hear themselves talk.

Stop.  Just stop.

Be excited about the future.  Spend time celebrating what can be instead of what is clearly over.  

Once again, I'm closing this thread and moving it to Rewind.  You're just destroying this board with this stupid argument that has no bearing on ANYTHING.

Last edited by BGF (7/29/2021 8:42 pm)

Board footera