GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2019 10:24 am  #1

New fan here

Hey guys,

I just completed a graduate program at GW (online only, though I did have a brief residence in DC). My alma mater Binghamton doesn't care about it's b-ball program anymore (it's been 10 years since a major scandal and they haven't won double digits in a season since. A name you know Kevin Broadus really screwed us!), so I've decided to root for GW. I'm not sure if it's common for people who didn't actually attend school on campus to become a supporter, but that's what I'm doing, heh. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting with you guys. 

-Bryan

11/14/2019 10:41 am  #2

Re: New fan here

Welcome and please accept our appologies for Broadus. GW has had two pretty debilitating scandals but here we are attempting to rise again. You will find that cheering for GW is both rewarding and utterly deflating and disappointing.

11/14/2019 11:09 am  #3

BSalz3586 wrote:

A name you know Kevin Broadus really screwed us!

Great timing as Broadus visits on Saturday as Morgan State's head coach!

11/14/2019 12:43 pm  #4

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Welcome and please accept our appologies for Broadus. GW has had two pretty debilitating scandals but here we are attempting to rise again. You will find that cheering for GW is both rewarding and utterly deflating and disappointing.

Thank you! I'm used to failings as a Mets and Jets fan, heh.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems like Lonergan got a raw deal. Is that the general consensus around here? Also, I'm shocked he hasn't landed on his feet elsewhere. Has he been blackballed?

11/14/2019 2:02 pm  #5

BSalz3586 wrote:

it seems like Lonergan got a raw deal. Is that the general consensus around here? Also, I'm shocked he hasn't landed on his feet elsewhere. Has he been blackballed?

11/14/2019 3:05 pm  #6

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE ...

11/14/2019 3:53 pm  #7

Lol.  If you are truly new you may not understand - I apologize if this next sentence seems rude.

If you are just trolling to start something, you can take the bait to another pond.

11/14/2019 3:58 pm  #8

PKGW wrote:

Lol. If you are truly new you may not understand - I apologize if this next sentence seems rude.

If you are just trolling to start something, you can take the bait to another pond.

I'm new, but I don't want to bring up anything that'll cause controversy

11/14/2019 4:25 pm  #9

Haha! Welcome to the GW community. The Lonergan situation was a divisive chapter in GW history among fans, students, and alums. There seems to be a 50/50 split(at least from what I have seen) regarding the situation. Regardless of my personal opinion on how it was handled, I’ve just tried to forget it(will always be in the back of my mind) and look to the future as most of the Colonial faithful have.

Cleaning house was nice! New President and AD. Most people who were involved with it closely from both sides of the spectrum are no longer associated with the University.

Last edited by jmoiii2016 (11/14/2019 4:27 pm)

11/15/2019 2:33 pm  #10

BSalz, don't mind us. There are only about 20 regulars here - pretty pathetic for an A-10 team where men's basketball is our top sport.

What Jmoiii meant by his 50/50% comment is the 20 people who regularly post here are split about the incident.

The other college basketball fans in the Country have a real good article about what really happened from the Nov 2018 Deadspin article written by Dave McKenna - required reading if you want to be a GW fan!

You should be well aware of our infamous former AD Patrick Nero if you're from Binghamton - Nero screwed your program because a few players stole some condoms from a CVS (I was a UMBC fan back then). You would have been fine had Nero been allowed to date or party with your players back then.

It took the school 2 years to finally get rid of Nero 11 months ago but stick around a few more years and we will hopefully dig ourselves out of this hole we put ourselves in.

11/15/2019 2:36 pm  #11

Oh yes, it was Nero! How did you evolve from a UMBC fan to a GW one? Did you go to GW for grad school? Move to the area?

Joel Joseph wrote:

BSalz, don't mind us. There are only about 20 regulars here - pretty pathetic for an A-10 team where men's basketball is our top sport.

What Jmoiii meant by his 50/50% comment is the 20 people who regularly post here are split about the incident.

The other college basketball fans in the Country have a real good article about what really happened from the Nov 2018 Deadspin article written by Dave McKenna - required reading if you want to be a GW fan!

You should be well aware of our infamous former AD Patrick Nero if you're from Binghamton - Nero screwed your program because a few players stole some condoms from a CVS (I was a UMBC fan back then). You would have been fine had Nero been allowed to date or party with your players back then.

It took the school 2 years to finally get rid of Nero 11 months ago but stick around a few more years and we will hopefully dig ourselves out of this hole we put ourselves in.

11/15/2019 4:45 pm  #12

You mean no one wants to engage in a 500 post re-litigation replete with name-calling and personal attacks? BSalz you apparently inadvertently opened the proverbial trap door around here. There are some some very sore feelings about what transpired from both GW loyalists and loyalists of the respective parties involved and I'd imagine those will continue at least until such time as JC gets us back into the NCAA tournament at which time all will be forgotten by most. And so it goes ...

11/15/2019 6:44 pm  #13

Guy comes out of nowhere and within the first 3 posts brings up ML.  Careful everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

11/15/2019 7:14 pm  #14

BSalz, welcome to the Board!  I'm the person who created the board earlier this year to replace the one that used to exist.  Got fed up one day and next thing you know I'm the one with the keys to the new castle, as it were.  Eventually, I'll give it up and put some unwitting but willing soul in charge. 

Anyway, expanding upon the history mentioned by others, I am trying to balance having an open forum with wanting to stop posts from devolving into chaos.  No personal attacks against anyone on or off the board.  That's basically it.

With that, if there is any time that a post has gotten to a point where it is no longer productive, I'll simply close it for comments.  Only did that twice so far.  I can live with that.

Enjoy and Go Colonials!  

Barry

11/15/2019 9:20 pm  #15

Barry,

Thank you very much. Glad to see you will close comments on unproductive topics. 

Board footera