GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2021 9:51 am  #1

2022 Atlantic Ten Conference Tournament

Sorry if this was already reported, but I just stumbled upon it.  Was everyone aware that the 2022 Atlantic Ten tournament will be in DC?   I have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, it makes so much sense, given DC's proximity to the Richmond, Philadelphia, NY, Pittsburgh and Fredericksburg.  On the other hand, traveling to the tournament was always a fun weekend away.    I thought we were going to be returning to Barclay Center after the ACC was finished there.  What happened to that?

https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/6/9/atlantic-10-announces-schedule-pairings-for-2021-22-mens-basketball-conference-season.aspx

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (8/14/2021 9:55 am)

8/18/2021 2:29 pm  #2

Re: 2022 Atlantic Ten Conference Tournament

LSF, the ACC will be at Barclay Center this coming season so apparently, they're not quite done.

Interesting tidbit for the day...in 2004-05, GW defeated St. Joe's for it's first-ever A10 tournament championship.  This was also the last time that the A10 only sent one school to the dance.  It likely would have happened again the following season had GW won the conference tournament (it fell to Temple, Xavier won the tournament, and was a 14 seed indicating that they likely would not have made the field as an at large).

8/19/2021 6:51 am  #3

Gwmayhem wrote:

LSF, the ACC will be at Barclay Center this coming season so apparently, they're not quite done.

Interesting tidbit for the day...in 2004-05, GW defeated St. Joe's for it's first-ever A10 tournament championship.  This was also the last time that the A10 only sent one school to the dance.  It likely would have happened again the following season had GW won the conference tournament (it fell to Temple, Xavier won the tournament, and was a 14 seed indicating that they likely would not have made the field as an at large).

Also would have happened two seasons later, but we won the A-10 tourney and grabbed a second bid.

8/20/2021 1:28 pm  #4

Free Quebec wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Interesting tidbit for the day...in 2004-05, GW defeated St. Joe's for it's first-ever A10 tournament championship.  This was also the last time that the A10 only sent one school to the dance.  It likely would have happened again the following season had GW won the conference tournament (it fell to Temple, Xavier won the tournament, and was a 14 seed indicating that they likely would not have made the field as an at large)

Will always have fond memories of Dokun Akinbade, who came up big as we beat URI in the finals (if this is the same game that Free is referring to)  For those who don't recall. Akinbade was a 2 year walk on who was offered a scholarship his 3rd year, then sat his 4th year because he was needed more the next season.   It was that next season that we won the counference tourney.   

Also would have happened two seasons later, but we won the A-10 tourney and grabbed a second bid.

8/21/2021 11:00 am  #5

No 3 hour train ride to NYC
No expensive NYC Hotel bills
take the subway  to the games  and sleep in my own bed
as for me - make it permanent

Board footera