GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2021 10:05 am  #21

Re: Coming season prediction-- before practice begins

One small comment on the GW 73 '21 prediction from a strong emotional supporter of GW basketball, but one with shallow knowledge.  UCSD may be a W vice an L.  The Tritons only entered DIV 1 earlier this year and ended  at the bottom of the league against a patty cake schedule. 

9/23/2021 10:54 am  #22

In some cases players got scared because of transfers brought in. In some cases, players lost minutes because they weren't good fits for JC's system. In some cases, players left for reasons such as to be closer to home. In some cases, players were simply not good enough. There are a myriad of reasons at play here and very few cases were the same as any other case.

I am going to make a statement here and it may be harsh. But I am certain it is true. Do you really think you can win with any of the players who left for any of the above reasons? If you do, I suggest you are hoping against hope. In others words, players who can't compete, aren't good enough, aren't happy don't add up to winning teams. You can put up stats sometimes but not be a player that you can win with. The point is the players sort of blew themselves up for one of the aforementioned reasons moreso than JC..

9/23/2021 11:07 am  #23

Rising, when a player doesn't play nearly as much as he would like, presumably because he is not good enough, is that an example of the player blowing himself up?  Isn't it the coach's decision as to who gets to play and how much?

How about a real example?  Jameer Nelson Jr. gets recruited by JC, suddenly becomes available after Martelli is fired, and JC snatches him up.  JC is excited, being  a former point guard himself, based on JNJ's pedigree and athleticism.  A year later, JC recruits and welcomes James Bishop to the team.  Bishop becomes the team's primary point guard, a role that JNJ had to believe would be his sooner rather than later.

You can easily make the case that James is a more polished basketball player and that JC has upgraded the talent on the team.  JC is paid to win games (among other reasons but this is a big one) so he is well within his rights to make a call like this.  Nobody has suggested that he should not have brought in James.  However, how can this be construed as JNJ kind of blowing himself up?  No reasonable person should have expected him to remain a Colonial under these circumstances.

And this is what LSF and I are saying.  It was JC's decision/action that caused JNJ to transfer.  He was not told to transfer nor was he asked to transfer.  The point is that he didn't need to be told or asked.   

9/23/2021 11:15 am  #24

So, by your logic, no one should remain a Colonial who doesn't get to play exactly the role they want and the minutes they want. Do I have that correct? If so, I guess we should be prepared for teams with 5-8 players.

9/23/2021 11:50 am  #25

And by your logic, if you agree to play for GW, you should commit to being there for the course of your entire eligibility period regardless of any circumstances which would compel you to change schools.  Seems like they're making it easier, not harder, to change schools.  You seem to be traveling in the opposite direction.

But to answer your question, I believe it should be totally up to the player.  Plenty of GW players have spent their time here wishing they had a larger role but after taking into account things like the quality of their education, relationships they have with coaches, teammates, friends, romantic interests, etc., the ability to live and perhaps intern and start a career in the DC area, etc., they have opted to remain at GW.  Sure they want to play more but other factors outweigh this.

And if a player is eligible to transfer and is unhappy with their role and/or the direction of the team, to the point where they would like to from a basketball perspective become a bigger fish in a smaller pond or a smaller fish in a bigger pond, why should they have to "stick things out" when they are not forced to do so?    

9/23/2021 12:39 pm  #26

No one said they should have to stick things out. But just because they are unwilling to stick things out doesn't mean that's on the coach.

Also, at what point do we just do away with the pretense of "student-athlete" at most D1 schools? 95% of these guys will not earn a meaningful living playing professional basketball. They are chasing something that is completely unlikely at the expense of education and relationships. They are making decisions solely based on basketball when most won't be playing organized basketball in 1-3 years. Instead of encouraging this behavior, we should be discouraging it.

Last edited by GWRising (9/23/2021 1:17 pm)

11/17/2021 2:06 pm  #27

I applaud the few here who dared to make a prediction. Back in Sep I was optimistic and hoping we could get 8 or 9 wins OOC, especially with the "cupcake" Mark Turgeon like schedule. 

My advice - don't quit your day jobs and try to become the next "Jimmy the Greek" in Vegas.

Board footera