GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2021 10:53 am  #1

Celebrating Teams In The HOF

Unless I missed it, a piece of news that was not mentioned here was the announcement of GW's Hall of Fame Class of 2021-22.  Included among the recipients is the 1992-93 Men's Basketball team.  A cynical view of this would point out that this team did not have a spectacular regular season nor did it win an A10 Championship.  It qualified as an at-large 12 seed, upset #5 seed New Mexico in the opening round and then avoided having to play #4 seed Georgia Tech who was upset by #13 Southern University.  It's not like beating New Mexico (arguably the weakest of the 5's that season) and Southern compares with a number of other program victories in terms of ease of accomplishment.  On the other hand, these wins did happen at the dance, allowing this GW team to be the one and only squad in school history to advance to the Sweet 16.  For good measure, they made things very uncomfortable for the eventual national runner-up, Michigan at the Sweet 16.  It's easy to understand their inclusion.

Now, I hate to play "whatabout", but what about the 2005-06 Colonials?  While there was a ceremony honoring the 1992-93 team, I believe it was a 25 year reunion whereby several members of that team appeared at a game, we have not seen any real recognition yet for the 2005-06 team that went 26-1 during the regular season and achieved the highest national ranking (#6) in program history.  There was no 10 year reunion and of course, a 15th could not take place since this would have been last season.  Is this because not enough time has passed or is there more to the story?  As we know, this team had several players who it turned out did not receive legitimate high school educations.  All were cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse to play.  Nevertheless, when the NY Times and Washington Post ran critical articles, the school refused to back the basketball program.  "If I knew then what I know now..." lives in infamy as a SJT quote indicating his after-the-fact disapproval.

Since we have a precedent for inducting a men's basketball team into the school's HoF, do you think the 2005-06 team will one day be similarly honored?  Or, will the school deny this team any such honors, instead choosing to perceive 2005-06 as a great team with a dark cloud over it?     

10/21/2021 11:27 am  #2

Re: Celebrating Teams In The HOF

Yes, I think they are spacing teams for induction with the oldest in time having priority. In other words, they want each team to have its year of limelight and not have it compete with other teams. I believe one day in the next 5 years we will have all 3 men's teams inducted ... 1992-93, 2005-06 and 2015-16.

10/21/2021 12:38 pm  #3

ELJ:  How high were the Joe Holup/John Holup teams ranked? 

10/21/2021 8:14 pm  #4

GW was once ranked #5 in the 1950s (1954, I believe).

10/21/2021 8:17 pm  #5

Also, as much as I absolutely loved that 2006 team, they only played two ranked teams (#15 NC State and Duke) and lost both.

10/21/2021 8:25 pm  #6

Feb. 15, 1955 was when GW was ranked #5, highest in program history.

Board footera