GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2021 12:45 pm  #1

A-10 Media Day GW first on 10/27

The Atlantic 10 will host its Basketball Media Days Wednesday, October 27 and Thursday, Oct. 28 live on ESPN+.

It marks the first time in over a decade that the Atlantic 10 will host a combined men's and women's basketball Media Day. The show will cover all 28 basketball programs across the A-10 14 members.

Hosted by Julianne Viani and Mike Corey the ESPN+ broadcast will feature interviews with coaches and student-athletes and Q&A segments with A-10 beat writers and national media joining by zoom.

The broadcast will begin at 8:30 am ET on Wednesday with the reveal of the A-10 Preseason Poll and Preseason Awards for both women's and men's basketball. George Washington will then take the stage for the first segment at 8:45 am.

TIME
8:45 am    George Washington    Jamion Christian    Ricky Lindo, Jr.    James Bishop

9:05 am    George Washington    Caroline McCombs    Maddie Loder    Kyara Frames

10/27/2021 5:59 am  #2

Re: A-10 Media Day GW first on 10/27

If anyone is available to listen in and provide a recap.  I will be busy working to help pay for my GW Hoops addiction

10/27/2021 7:34 am  #3

GW Men 13th in the preseason poll

GW Women 12th

Last edited by GW0509 (10/27/2021 7:36 am)

10/27/2021 7:42 am  #4

James Bishop Second Team All Conference

10/27/2021 8:47 am  #5

Observations:

1) Qwanzi Samuels was mentioned by JC on at least 4 separate occasions.  Not once or twice.  At least 4.  Am not sure you're mentioning someone so frequently if he's not going to be part of your rotation.  No mention of Daniel Nixon who I sense will be brought along slowly.  Figure Samuels to receive these minutes early on.

2) JC lovers the versatility on this team, particularly on defense.  Described Lindo, Harris and Samuels as guys who can all guard 1-5.  Feels that the team must get much better on defense.  Better defense will lead to more running and transition opportunities.

3) Reading between the lines, it appears as if this year's team will more closely resemble "mayhem" than the first two.  JC recognizes that he needed better talent if the team is going to win an A10 Championship or compete for a top 4 spot, and now feels as if he has better talent.  Many players are complete two-way players.  It's certainly sounding like many of the newcomers, including Bamisile, Adams, Freeman, and Samuels, fit this description. 

4) How accountability looks and how accountability feels are not always the same thing according to JC.  I will not be held accountable for explaining this.  What I can say is that players have to learn to trust and love one another.  JC feels team chemistry is in a great place right now and this clearly was not the case last season (due to Covid restrictions).

5) JC also remarked that there are many players capable of playing with the ball in their hands.  Seems like a priority to loosen James's ball handling load.  Went on to say that James did not receive enough credit last season, and that this season, the nation will see a great basketball player rather than simply a great scorer.

6) Bryan Knapp (along with Samuels) was mentioned as someone who JC was excited to have to help improve either the team culture or chemistry (I forget which one he said).  Will be interesting to see whether Bryan has a regular rotation role (attempt to hopefully improve upon the Sloan Seymour role) or if he will be utilized in spot situations.

7) Ricky Lindo and James Bishop were also interviewed.  Neither were asked very much.  One noteworthy point is that Ricky mentioned this would be his final season.  I believe that he does have an extra year of eligibility due to Covid so I am unsure as to whether he realizes this or is simply ready to play professionally after this season regardless.

8) JC feels he is "on schedule" with respect to where he'd like this team to be.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (10/27/2021 8:49 am)

10/27/2021 8:49 am  #6

One thing I can't believe, though maybe it says something about how far we've fallen off the radar, is how Ira Lee keeps getting brought up in interview questions even though he's been ruled out due to injury for almost two months now.  

Last edited by GW0509 (10/27/2021 8:59 am)

10/27/2021 11:48 am  #7

Gwmayhem wrote:

Observations:

1) Qwanzi Samuels was mentioned by JC on at least 4 separate occasions.  Not once or twice.  At least 4.  Am not sure you're mentioning someone so frequently if he's not going to be part of your rotation.  No mention of Daniel Nixon who I sense will be brought along slowly.  Figure Samuels to receive these minutes early on.

2) JC lovers the versatility on this team, particularly on defense.  Described Lindo, Harris and Samuels as guys who can all guard 1-5.  Feels that the team must get much better on defense.  Better defense will lead to more running and transition opportunities.

3) Reading between the lines, it appears as if this year's team will more closely resemble "mayhem" than the first two.  JC recognizes that he needed better talent if the team is going to win an A10 Championship or compete for a top 4 spot, and now feels as if he has better talent.  Many players are complete two-way players.  It's certainly sounding like many of the newcomers, including Bamisile, Adams, Freeman, and Samuels, fit this description. 

4) How accountability looks and how accountability feels are not always the same thing according to JC.  I will not be held accountable for explaining this.  What I can say is that players have to learn to trust and love one another.  JC feels team chemistry is in a great place right now and this clearly was not the case last season (due to Covid restrictions).

5) JC also remarked that there are many players capable of playing with the ball in their hands.  Seems like a priority to loosen James's ball handling load.  Went on to say that James did not receive enough credit last season, and that this season, the nation will see a great basketball player rather than simply a great scorer.

6) Bryan Knapp (along with Samuels) was mentioned as someone who JC was excited to have to help improve either the team culture or chemistry (I forget which one he said).  Will be interesting to see whether Bryan has a regular rotation role (attempt to hopefully improve upon the Sloan Seymour role) or if he will be utilized in spot situations.

7) Ricky Lindo and James Bishop were also interviewed.  Neither were asked very much.  One noteworthy point is that Ricky mentioned this would be his final season.  I believe that he does have an extra year of eligibility due to Covid so I am unsure as to whether he realizes this or is simply ready to play professionally after this season regardless.

8) JC feels he is "on schedule" with respect to where he'd like this team to be.

A few things.

First, Lindo will be graduating and it was always uncertain what would happen after he graduated - go pro, grad transfer or stay. Think he wants to go pro if he can but not sure he's made a final decision yet as to what he will do.

Quanzi is likely ahead of Nixon right now. Whether that will remain the case or change as the season progresses will depend on the performance of each.

While Knapp is reportedly a great locker room presence and a guy who has D1 playing experience, I doubt he will play significant minutes for GW absent significant injuries.

Last edited by GWRising (10/27/2021 12:22 pm)

10/27/2021 2:47 pm  #8

Lindo's leaving after this year, if he sticks with what seems to be his vision now, will have an effect on 
next season's high hopes.

10/27/2021 3:24 pm  #9

jf wrote:

Lindo's leaving after this year, if he sticks with what seems to be his vision now, will have an effect on 
next season's high hopes.

Not if a certain recruit says yes or we find a spring transfer replacement. More worried about this year right now..

10/27/2021 7:16 pm  #10

GW0509, thank you for sharing the information.  I watched the interviews of JC and the one with Ricky and James and was extremely encouraged. It sounds like we are going to be much improved from last season and I like that Jamion is recruiting locally with such great success.  It sounds like most of our new players are going to contribute right away.  And while I was sad to hear about Ricky's last season with us, I think he'll be a major contributor this year.  I was very happy to learn that James has been spending a lot of time in the gym with his teammates.  It sounds like team chemistry will be better this year.  GWmayhem, I heard just about the same things except I didn't pick up some of the particulars that you did. So thank you for your observations and especially the one about Jamion believing we have players that can compete at the very high level required to win in the A10. I hadn't heard him say that in past years.  Does anyone have an opinion regarding whether we'll have someone that can replace Battle as a very dependable shooter (and who it may be)?  Just curious.

Last edited by 22ndandF (10/27/2021 7:21 pm)

10/29/2021 6:49 pm  #11

22ndandF wrote:

GW0509, thank you for sharing the information.  I watched the interviews of JC and the one with Ricky and James and was extremely encouraged. It sounds like we are going to be much improved from last season and I like that Jamion is recruiting locally with such great success.  It sounds like most of our new players are going to contribute right away.  And while I was sad to hear about Ricky's last season with us, I think he'll be a major contributor this year.  I was very happy to learn that James has been spending a lot of time in the gym with his teammates.  It sounds like team chemistry will be better this year.  GWmayhem, I heard just about the same things except I didn't pick up some of the particulars that you did. So thank you for your observations and especially the one about Jamion believing we have players that can compete at the very high level required to win in the A10. I hadn't heard him say that in past years.  Does anyone have an opinion regarding whether we'll have someone that can replace Battle as a very dependable shooter (and who it may be)?  Just curious.

What I’ve heard is that JC feels like Bamaisile and Adams and Freeman can all shoot it well so that’s how we try to replace Battle’s shooting (though my guess is they don’t shoot it quite as well, but play MUCH better defense).

On Qwanzi being a big contributor, thanks to those who posted about.  Based off his numbers at Gulf Coast, I have not been expecting anything from him.  Those numbers were as a freshman two years ago and he didn’t play last year, so maybe he’s made big strides in two years - but those numbers were really brutal (especially on offense).  Will he very curious to see what he brings. 

And to whoever said they were surprised Ira Lee is still brought up so much, it’s because he is a high profile player.  Though he was behind NBA draft picks, he played a lot and his energy and exciting plays have stood out to anyone who watched Arizona, a team on TV a lot.  I think people who really know college hoops know how much potential and what an exciting player he can be.

Board footera