GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2021 12:30 am  #1

5 more years

With the influx of talent, I had very high hopes for this season but with basically 5 bog questions:

- How badly would Ira Lee’s injury hurt?  It hurts, but isn’t our biggest problem.

- do we have enough outside shooting?  Not really, but again that isn’t what is killing us (especially because we know Bishop is a better outside shooter than what we’ve seen so far).

- Could JC teach guards to keep opposing guards out of the lane?  Pretty clearly the answer is no. (Though we are running teams off the 3 point line pretty well).

- Could JC avoid the absurdly slow starts that have characterized his first two years at GW, and get his team prepared to win from game 1?  Obviously not. 

And most importantly, can JC coach the talent well enough to win, now that he has a more athletic, more talented team? 

Unfortunately after 5 games, the answer to the last one appears to be no.   

The ball movement is atrocious. We rely far too much on one on one offense, if not one on three. The defensive rotations are consistently slow. We can’t keep guards out of the lane, which leads to offensive rebounds even when we force a miss.  We have very little movement on offense and even less purposeful movement to get guys open.   Our offense doesn’t generate good shots and we are easy to guard, even for poor defenses. We get nothing from our post players.   Our players tend to stand around and watch one guy try to score or  one guy try to rebound against 2 or 3. We consistently stink coming out of the half.

And the worst part, I believe the talent is there.  Individually, Bishop is a very good player (with flaws, but other coaches would get a lot more from him).  Ricky Lindo is an all league player and seems to have added a three point shot this year (tonight’s off game notwithstanding).  Bamisile is an insane athlete with some skills.  Adams Is a stat sheet stuffing glue guy who was UConn’s 6th man.  Freeman is one of the most exciting freshman we’ve had in a few years.  Noel Brown is huge and doesn’t seem like a total stiff (which makes his lack of production even more of a glaring indictment of the coach). 

Again, I was excited for this year to see what JC could do with these players. 

But I fear that 5 games into the year, we have our answer. 

Double digit loss at home to UMASS-Lowell coming right after the worst road trip since Karl Hobbs lost to Hawaii, Coppin St, and Longwood in embarrassing fashion.  It’s unacceptable.

Maybe the team will get better as the season goes; but it’s pretty much too late.  Our offensive efficiency is not even in the top 300 right now and in 3 straight games we’ve managed only 10 points on the first 20 possessions of the second half. That would essentially would make us the worst offense in all of division 1.

We will win some games on talent (and when Bishop gets hot, we will look better), but it’s unlikely we will out-scheme or out-coach much of anyone we play.  And while it’s early, our lack of attention to detail on offense or defense makes it extremely unlikely we will move into the top half of the A10 as we hoped.

Ultimately, we have looked like a worse coached team on the court than every single opponent we’ve played this year.  Every one we play passes better, moves more, rebounds better, rotates better, executes better.  And all I can think is that if a Mike Jarvis or ML or Mike Schmidt or most other A10 coaches had our roster, we would be a pretty good team.

I really like JC as a person. Really like his positive attitude.  But 5 games into the season and I think I can confidently say that there isn’t a ton of substance behind the platitudes we always hear him spout about love and staying connected.   We  haven’t seen any signs of the attention to detail on the court needed to organize a winning team at this level, and it’s time to acknowledge it’s unlikely we ever really will. 

And that brings us to 5 more years. 

It will be at least 5 years before we are really good again.

JC will not be replaced after this year (if Tanya Vogel, who’s fortune is tied to JC, wouldn’t let Mojo go when she took over even though it was obvious he was unqualified and had zero chance to win, then there’s no chance she’ll replace JC this year).

So at the end of next year, when we are at best mediocre (if things turn around for him somehow and we can even get from sub-200 to mediocre), we will likely move on from JC and hire a new coach.  Virtually no schools have a coach finish out their contract because they’d be totally unable to recruit during that final lame duck year, so most likely it’ll be at the end of next year when we get a new coach.

At that point, we will need to wait the customary three years to hopefully experience the kind of year 3 success we saw under Jarvis, Hobbs, and Lonergan. 

Which means 5 years from now, if the next hire is a good one, then we might be able to get back to good.  That’s a long time for us loyal fans to wait. 

I really hope no one uses this thread to relitigate the ML/PN clusterf#ck.  We are way beyond that and this is about the present and future. 

I really hoped we’d see progress this year under JC.  I didn’t expect us to be top 100 this year, but I hoped that we could move into the top 150 or so with the influx of talent. 

But we are currently sitting at 255 - and that’s with the benefit of higher preseason numbers built in (and propping our ranking up).  I’ve seen enough to know it’s unlikely we finish in the top 200, and even if we somehow improve enough to get there (Bishop getting hot line we know we can will help), we won’t sniff the top 150. 

It’s simply unacceptable for an A10 coach to be unable to coach a team into the top 200 - but in 10 years as a coach, JC has yet to have any of his teams among the top 200 most efficient teams. 

Again, great guy.  Extremely likable.  But I’m disappointed to understand now that he doesn’t seem to know how to teach his teams to play efficient basketball on either end of the court.  I assume even Tanya Vogel realizes that now, even though she won’t do anything about it for two years. Frankly, anyone who looks at KenPom knows it.

And so we wait.  I’ll keep rooting and supporting the team, hoping for the best, and getting excited when we show any signs of improvement.  But in my heart of hearts, I know now that it’ll be at least 5 years before GW is good again.

This sucks.

(P.S. Nothing would please me more than for this post to become bulletin board material that spurs the coach and players to a massive turnaround).

(Edited for typos and to add point about how Bishop getting hot will help us look better)

Last edited by Free Quebec (11/20/2021 5:16 pm)

11/20/2021 1:24 am  #2

Re: 5 more years

Gw will never see that success again under this Athletic Dept. Burn bridges and build a new one

11/20/2021 4:26 am  #3

Vogel's a total lightweight. Both JC and Vogel should be run out in another year.

11/20/2021 7:46 am  #4

This is what Vogel said at the time of the JC hire:

"We aspire to become a perennial contender in the Atlantic 10 Conference and to do so, we need a leader with relentless optimism, positivity and basketball acumen," said Vogel. "We have found that in Jamion Christian. His passion for teaching and his endless energy to get the absolute best out of each individual in his program is infectious. I am confident in Coach Christian's ability to build a sustainable program that is in the national conversation again soon."

We are no closer to being a perennial contender in the Atlantic 10 Conference, we are not getting the best out of each individual as most have not progressed during their time here, we are not a sustainable program with our constantly churning roster and we are not in the national conversation except for people asking "what the heck happened to GW?"

If Tanya meant those words I don't know what else we can expect as a fanbase at this point?

11/20/2021 7:48 am  #5

Dr Mike wrote:

I expect GW will elect to drop down to DIII competition. Make efforts to join the Patriot League. 

Time will tell, but it is clear GW is non-competitive at the DI level without any prospects of getting better.

Patriot League is D1 so this post makes no sense.

Maybe you know something, but I’ve literally been reading idle speculation from disgruntled fans about us dropping down to the Patriot League (led alone to D3) for about 25 years, every time we struggle.  It seems like silly message boards blather to me given that we play in a 3-bid league that produces some revenue, have invested in our stadium, and are 5-6 years removed winning the NIT, making the NCAAs as an at-large with a single digit seed, and knocking off a top 5 team. 

It’s defeatist, and without evidence that the school is seriously considering such a move when literally NO college has ever chosen to drop down from a multi-bid league, it’s a waste of electrons that might even misleads casual fans who don’t really understand college basketball.

It’s about 1000 times more likely that we will try again with a new coach in two years than just get rid of D1 sports. It’s even more likely that JC will miraculously turn it around and prove me a fool.

11/20/2021 7:51 am  #6

GW0509 wrote:

"We aspire to become a perennial contender in the Atlantic 10 Conference and to do so, we need a leader with relentless optimism, positivity and basketball acumen," said Vogel. "We have found that in Jamion Christian. His passion for teaching and his endless energy to get the absolute best out of each individual in his program is infectious. I am confident in Coach Christian's ability to build a sustainable program that is in the national conversation again soon."

We are no closer to being a perennial contender in the Atlantic 10 Conference, we are not getting the best out of each individual as most have not progressed during their time here, we are not a sustainable program with our constantly churning roster and we are not in the national conversation except for people asking "what the heck happened to GW?"

If Tanya meant those words I don't know what else we can expect as a fanbase at this point?

Good find on that old quote.

I do love his relentless optimism, positivity, and endless energy - TV was right about those things - but he’s not getting the best out of the team and seems unable to teach his team how to play efficient basketball.

11/20/2021 9:06 am  #7

Dr Mike usually knows what he is talking about but I don´t think he is anywhere near the mark on this one. I don´t see an interim president making too many major decisions, basically I see the position as a placeholder/steady the ship one so the new president takes over a stable school that is not going down the drain. Also, the "AU model" mentioned by FQ (though not by name) shows what can be done in the DC area without downgrading to DIII. The fact is the NCAA tournament payouts, TV coverage (such as it is) and 100+ years of tradition are pretty hard to walk away from. LeBlanc´s failings had to do with vision for the school, not vision for sports teams, and fixing that is going to be the priority from the powers-that-be for the next few years.
Meanwhile, our low-budget hoops teams will be scrappy and (hopefully) more successful in the next couple of years than FQ´s gloomy outlook would suggest. And if they are not, hopefully they will at least revert to using uniforms with the school´s name on them...

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (11/20/2021 9:08 am)

11/20/2021 9:24 am  #8

Dr Mike, any inside info, or is this your opinion/speculation?

11/20/2021 9:28 am  #9

I’ve been a fan since 1965.Yikes!!I can’t remember feeling so dissatisfied with our program.Through the ups
and more frequently downs I could see we simply didn’t have the talent-with few exceptions- to play at a high 
level.With the injury to Lee not withstanding I thought we would kick some serious butt during the OOC.
I also had hoped for a middle of the pack year in the conference.The coaching has been a disaster.
Anything is possible I suppose the rest of the year.I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again-“Faith is necessary but not sufficient “.This I know very well.

11/20/2021 10:27 am  #10

I don’t follow all of GW teams but would someone know how successful GW athletics is in all sports?

Why is men’s basketball considered the “only” sport on which to relate an AD?

11/20/2021 11:01 am  #11

BookGuy wrote:

Why is men’s basketball considered the “only” sport on which to relate an AD?

Men's and women's basketball is the only sport that brings in $$$ via the NCAA tournament and television deals. At a lot of other schools it's football that determines the AD's fate. 

Even if we don't get into the NCAA tournament ourselves, helping multiple teams get into the tournament via a good KenPom/BPI rating brings us a smaller share of the tournament money.  Being a 200+ KenPom team does us harm because we drag down the conference and potentially cost another A10 team a spot in the tournament if we happen to pull off an upset and beat a bubble team.  

Sure, you want to have an AD that supports the students and make sure the school remains in compliance with NCAA regs, but I'm sorry you have to be living under a rock if you don't think maximizing revenue is not the primary responsibility of the AD and at GW that means having successful basketball teams.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/20/2021 11:16 am)

11/20/2021 12:07 pm  #12

Dr Mike wrote:

I expect GW will elect to drop down to DIII competition. Make efforts to join the Patriot League. 

You do realize that the Patriot League is D-1, right? Hard to take the rest of your post seriously when you mention D-3 and Patriot League in the same breath.

11/20/2021 12:50 pm  #13

I think this post gets to the heart of the matter, and I think that Mike K may be on to something, or maybe not.  So you have to get into more general thoughts like:

1. Will a new GW President get into a restructuring of GW athletics.  Is there a reason to do so financially, or just through a strategic plan to focus elsewhere.  GW sees its peer schools (rightly or wrongly) as places like Boston U, NYU, Emory etc.  Outside of BU, not many of the schools in that group have a big focus on athletics.  The Interim President is from Washington U in St. Louis, not exactly a big sports school.  But Leblanc was from a huge sports school and our athletic dept is in shambles under his watch, so who knows.

2. GW was a founding member of the A10 so I don’t see the school just voluntarily walking away from the conference.  For years Fordham has been so bad that there have always been suggestions about that.  I don’t think the A10 is a bad place for GW.  It’s nice to be in a conference with schools like VCU, Richmond. and Dayton etc.  There is also some dead weight in the A10 (including GW), but it will always be a better league than the Patriot League IMO so why not stay in the A10 and try to figure this out.

3. GW desperately needs someone like a Bob Chernak in its Administration who will focus on athletics and be an advocate for it.  It’s hard to think of things drastically changing until GW starts thinking about athletics and basketball again as part of the bigger picture of what they want GW to be.  I think basketball, when it’s been successful, has actually paid off for GW.  So I’m not sure why they don’t get that more.

4. Without hopefully starting a flame war and debate over this, I will just say from an objective standpoint going back over the past 30 years I have seen GW hire 3 coaches that had success - Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan.  And three who did not - Penders, Mojo, and JC.  So we are kind of batting .500 here.  The next one needs to be a winner.  Otherwise we could be talking about a lost decade of GW basketball, or longer.  But again, the only chance of it happening is if the Admin puts their heart and soul into it.  They have to believe in the program first and convince a talented up and coming coach that they are walking into a real opportunity.  Am I hopeful this will happen in 2 years?  I’d rather not say.

11/20/2021 3:20 pm  #14

GW is not competitive in the A10 because it has always hired coaches on the cheap (I guarantee you that Jarvis was a bargain and that Penders, after his troubles at Texas, didn't break the GW bank either). There is no reason that a school in DC as attractive as GW, cannot recruit payers.  I also think that Christian was chosen because he is a nice guy and GW didn't want any coach, after the Lonergan debacle, saying mean things to his impressionable young players. After all, why else would you offer a 5-year deal to a coach who had a .515 record in lesser leagues? Problem is that if you don't get in player's faces sometimes or take them out of the game for poor performance, you get what you've got. Sadly, I would bet a wooden nickel on the university ever taking the right steps to change this scenario. 

11/20/2021 3:32 pm  #15

FQ did a masterful job of summing this all up.  I said a number of times during the offseason that it will be up to JC and staff to figure out ways that this team can play cohesively.  The real value in having an influx of talent is that you don't become overreliant on any one or two players on offense.  That makes it much more difficult for defenses.  But, we show virtually zero signs of running an offense.  The first 2 plays, we made a concerted effort to do down low to Noel.  I knew after we failed to convert on either that we were finished doing this for the night.  If the staff saw that we had a real advantage in doing this, do you really stop trying after two possessions?  Crisp passing only exists in transition.  The half court set is atrocious.  Defensively, we were a step slower all game.  Was Lowell that much quicker than GW?  Probably not.

It's worth mentioning that JC had a fairly pedestrian coaching record before arriving at GW.  He made 2 NCAA's while at MSM which as we can guess, involved getting his teams hot over 3-4 days at the right time.  Not to undermine those achievements, but it's not like JC has come close to dominating his conference throughout his head coaching career.  He has remained loyal to Bousely and Devlin, and has since added less experienced coaches to his staff.  I just don't know if this group is helping to develop these players.  Noel is a great example.  While he's playing more than last year, I've yet to see any real noticeable improvement.  Do we have a coach who can help him get there?

Yes it's a new group, but one that has been together since July 1.  While there is no substitute for playing real games, the fact is that there has been ample time for this team to have learned to play far better than this...as a team.  There are two statistics of which you have to be strong in at least 1 to be competitive.  One is offensive rebounding because this means second chances.  The other is in taking care of the ball because turnovers means losing your first chance.  No second chances plus fewer first chances means NOT ENOUGH CHANCES.  Offensive rebounding may be out of their control but taking care of the ball is within their control.  That would be a great place to start looking for improvement.   Stop being so damn careless with the ball.

11/20/2021 3:47 pm  #16

I’ll give Vogel a pass on the idiot hire of Mojo, though her defense of his hiring over those couple of years made her look like a dummy.  But this in-motion JC crash and burn is on her. She didn’t exactly distinguish herself with a robust list of candidates and went with a guy who is clearly all hat and no cattle. Over three years now he’s shown - literally - no real coaching skills whatsoever. No game plan, no rhyme or reason to the sets, no ability to strategize and make in-game adjustments and, most alarmingly,  no real sense of urgency.  He’s basically become a more polished and more likable version of Mojo. That’s how bad it’s become. Last week I said he needs to quickly show some progress.  Now I’m at the point of realizing that he’s just not capable. I’ve never seen anything as disorganized as what this guy is putting on the court.

The bar to get over Mojo was pretty low, but JC is doing the incredible - he’s playing limbo with that bar.

At the end of this season both Vogel and her choice must go.

11/20/2021 3:54 pm  #17

Lot to talk about here brought up by FQs well documented analysis, but also interesting point by GW Mayhem above on offensive rebounding. We somehow got a couple in the second half of the last debacle--one on a free throw and they were converted for points.
   Remember at one point, maybe last year, we were effectively ceding (offensive) rebounds on FTs to the other team. And we generally cede them from the field by not hitting the offensive boards or not taking shots with someone in position to hit the offensive boards, while some of our opponents clean up on second chance points.

11/20/2021 5:17 pm  #18

Not piling on AD bashing since almost everybody on the board was also dazzled by the JC hype machine at the time.  Myself not excepted.

11/20/2021 6:42 pm  #19

Me too, I was all in for the guy even after last year. But this year’s start demonstrates that nice guys do, indeed, finish last.

As for Vogel, she made the choice, and while I too thought it was a good one, turns out it wasn’t. So she’s now riding a five year stink streak like we haven’t seen in a long, long time. It’s clown ball on a good day. So yeah, you run out with five abysmal years like she has in the business world, you’re held accountable.

11/20/2021 9:11 pm  #20

GW0509 wrote:

Huh, I read that quote as a perfectly accurate representation of the mediocrity which I have repeatedly complained on here, like Abraham Simpson yelling at birds, the AD is required to be under TV.
We aspire .... code for "we won't, regularly, challenge the top"
Relentless positivity ... code for "don't yell at players"
Sustainable program... code for "won't be blown up in a sex scandal"
National conversation ... code for aspire

Words of a loser and Patrick Nero supporter.
Vogel should go. She has no interest in winning, only babysitting. 
JC? He should get his five years. We're too cheap for a buyout and it's what we signed up for as the result of one of our famous head coach interview "processes." Think 10-15 wins a season for the promise of not verbally abusing players.

Board footera