GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2021 1:08 pm  #1

Turgeon out at Maryland

According to numerous reports. Odd for a midseason move in a bad league they could end up finishing near the topof.

12/03/2021 1:10 pm  #2

Re: Turgeon out at Maryland

TV should be on the horn right now

12/03/2021 1:16 pm  #3

Wouldn't it be amazing if a certain former GW Head Coach was selected for the permanent post... It certainly will not be Danny Manning.

12/03/2021 1:20 pm  #4

Sounds like the alumni dropped off the bag to move things along

12/03/2021 1:30 pm  #5

Mentzinger wrote:

Wouldn't it be amazing if a certain former GW Head Coach was selected for the permanent post... It certainly will not be Danny Manning.

Maryland ties, former Gary assistant, winning record. If only

12/03/2021 1:38 pm  #6

I'm surprised they got rid of him this early in the season, especially after they extended him in the offseason. I've got a friend who's a student at Maryland and he's ecstatic. Wants them to hire Rick Pitino (which would be wild imo).

12/03/2021 1:39 pm  #7

Mark Turgeon took Maryland to the NCAA tourney five of the last six seasons and the Terps tied for Big Ten regular-season title two years ago — so would have been six of the last seven.

Yes, nothing says stepping stone to a plum Power 5 job like being fired for player abuse and then spending 6 years as a local gym attendant in Bowie.  

Last edited by The Dude (12/03/2021 1:54 pm)

12/03/2021 1:42 pm  #8

Skittles wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

They’re not going to entrust a flagship program to someone who hasn’t actually coached/recruited in almost 6 years. As the kids say, the game done changed.  I’d look at like Kevin Willard at Seton Hall or perhaps someone younger who can relate to the DMV AAU kids.

I could see ML being an assistant to Danny Manning though to start his way up the coaching ladder again.

12/03/2021 1:43 pm  #9

Turgeon to GW, please.

12/03/2021 1:46 pm  #10

GW0509 wrote:

Skittles wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

They’re not going to entrust a flagship program to someone who hasn’t actually coached/recruited in almost 6 years. As the kids say, the game done changed.  I’d look at like Kevin Willard at Seton Hall or perhaps someone younger who can relate to the DMV AAU kids.

I could see ML being an assistant to Danny Manning though to start his way up the coaching ladder again.

This makes a lot of sense actually. Great point I didn't see it this way

12/03/2021 2:09 pm  #11

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Duane Simpkins.  What he lacks in head coaching experience is made up in other ways.  He is a highly regarded recruiter, incredible local ties, a Maryland legend, and 10 years as a coach.

Duane Simpkins - Men's Basketball Coach - George Mason University Athletics (gomason.com)

Last edited by BGF (12/03/2021 2:13 pm)

12/03/2021 2:22 pm  #12

Imagine us not losing too badly to them was the catalyst. When you let GW stay in the game, the coach is in trouble.
    Actually, if there was a normal world and he wasn't wrongly terminated leading to our decline so precipitously that we aren't up in arms over a 2-7 record with a schedule so soft a fresh marshmallow would envy us, ML would be the guy for the job. And it would be the extremely rare one he would have takenu.
    Assistant job would make sense, especially if there is someone without a lot of significant coaching experience and they could swing it, given how the unproven or discredited allegations still exist. Would show everyone in the hiring process a copy of the great Deadspin article with named sources and video.
    Seems a little premature to fire Turgeon, given Turgeon's record above. Note that this James Graham left, but he was suspended for a team rules violation so that is a big caution flag. 
    Not the biggest Turgeon fan, but he did play us. Also, he owned up to the team playing badly against us, saying he and they need to do better. Not saying we're turning the corner after our stupefying losses,but owning up.
An interesting thing example that might apply elsewhere say to another team that we are all familiar with. 

12/03/2021 2:34 pm  #13

Surprised about the timing but Turg has underperformed for a lot of years. Gary set the bar at MD. Making the tourney every year is not enough. Sweet 16's and final 4's are the expectations.

Next should be Patrick Ewing down the street. His team is horrible this year. They lost to Dartmouth by 10 with 2 other bad losses. The only reason he is still there is because he was the start of the GU run with Thompson years ago. GU would rather suffer the humiliation than fire Patrick. He is a horrible X's and O's coach with great untaught raw talent. I think someone like ML would benefit that staff greatly.

12/03/2021 3:07 pm  #14

Even though it seemed as if every Maryland fan/alum wanted Turgeon out, I'm stunned by this news because they just extended Turgeon in the offseason as gwstudent2024 wrote. Also, Turgeon seemed to do just enough each year (their bad losses would be evened out by a few wins over a top 10 team and a 5-7 seed in the NCAA tournament) to justify keeping his job. Maryland may have made the move now to avoid a repeat where Turgeon is able to upset some elite teams in the Big 10 and make the tournament. I'm sure that would have happened if Turgeon finsihed out the year. Turgeon's tenure at Maryland was almost identical to the latter years of Gary Williams where he appeared to get a bit lazy with recruiting. What do you guys think happened here, did the boosters put enough pressure on the AD to get Turgeon out immediately? Or do you think there is some sort of scandal involving Turgeon that will come out? 

Despite the fact that Danny Manning struggled when he coached Wake Forest, he is a former NBA player. Maybe he can turn things around this year as he gets to coach more talented players. As for replacements, I think Maryland will go for a big name. If it turns out that the boosters forced the school's hand, I don't think they will settle for former players who haven't won big(Duane Simpkins, Juan Dixon, Keith Booth) or the guy who got fired from GW in 2016!! Maryland will need to make a big splash hire.  

Joel Joseph,  it interesting that you brought up Patrick Ewing, I just glanced at Georgetown's board where they are discussing Turgeon's firing, and deep down, they've got to be thinking, "We Probably Need Get Rid Of Patrick Ewing Today Too"!! Georgetown has a bunch of freshmen and transfers(possibly 7 or 8), so that could be an excuse for the team's uneven performance so far.

12/03/2021 3:09 pm  #15

Buyout of $5 million, which would have been $17 million had they waited beyond May 1.  I think they want to see what they have in Manning before committing to a 4 or 5 year contract so the timing makes sense from that standpoint.

The thing about Turgeon is that while he enjoyed postseason tournament success at both Wichita State and Texas A&M, the same can not be said during his time at Maryland.  His Maryland teams consistently underperformed in postseason tournaments.  Simply making the NCAA tournament means absolutely nothing to a Maryland basketball fan.  It's about reaching the second weekend and avoiding losses to less heralded teams.  Very much like the pre-Stanley Cup Washington Capitals (and I suppose post-Stanley Cup as well) who managed to lose playoff series after playoff series while having home ice advantage.

The extension is of course curious in retrospect but the combination of likely not wanting to make changes during the heart of the pandemic coupled with a reasonably modest buyout (by Terp standards)  makes the signing and subsequent dismissal palatable.

Final point:  thanks Mark for playing us.

12/03/2021 4:36 pm  #16

danjsport wrote:

Turgeon to GW, please.

I've got to be honest...I'd be all for that!! I don't care what Maryland fans say about Turgeon as an X's and O's coach, he has about 30 years of head coaching experience, has led 3 schools to the NCAA tournament and learned under Larry Brown, he'd be able to "coach up" Lindo, Bishop, Bamisile, Adams, etc. to beat the likes of Boston U, UMass-Lowell and Cal State Fullerton, and look way better than they've looked so far. 

12/03/2021 5:04 pm  #17

I would absolutely take Turgeon.  MD fans are delusional, I'm guessing more to the story? why now?

Turgeon unless there's something more going on will be a pretty in demand Coach, great track record.  The fans don't like him? lets see how the next guy does.

12/03/2021 5:10 pm  #18

The Dude wrote:

I would absolutely take Turgeon. 

For whatever reason, at this point I'm averse to a coach that doesn't do the X and Os right.  More Becker than Turgeon.

12/03/2021 5:29 pm  #19

Turgeon is going to do what ML did - enjoy life in financial comfort and spend time coaches never have with family. 

I wish we had someone in our athletic dept with half a brain that would put out a feeler to the Arkansas - Pine Bluff coach who called a time out in a game against Iowa State and made the players run a few sprints up and down the court (since they weren't hussling while in the game). Something Bobby Knight would have done. OI wiosh JC would try that instead of "whispering" to them. As long as we accept "SUCK" we will continue to "SUCK" here at GW. 

12/03/2021 5:30 pm  #20

Welcome to this week's edition of fantasy basketball. Turgeon isn't coming to GW. Apart from the fact he will be in demand by larger programs at the end of the year, do you think he really wants to trade one dysfunctional fan base for a more dysfunctional fan base (at least if the fan base is truly represented by what is posted here)?

Board footera