GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2021 10:50 pm  #1

Best Dunkers in GW History

JoeBam has unleashed some of the best dunks we've seen in recent GW history.

Whose on your list for best ever GW dunkers?

Pops certainly comes to mind...

12/14/2021 11:50 pm  #2

Re: Best Dunkers in GW History

I could dunk the hell out of a doughnut.

12/15/2021 8:56 pm  #3

JR Pinnock had some impressive dunks during his career as a Colonial. Here's one versus Maryland
https://youtu.be/BS3Ru17Lc4o

12/18/2021 8:25 am  #4

I think Joey Bam is right there with Pops and Dirkk Surles, with Pinnock close behind. Also I put Yinka in the pantheon because of the power and frequency. 

To surpass Pops, Joey Bam is going to have to jump over someone on a dunk like Pope did to someone on, I think, the Bonnies.

12/19/2021 6:35 pm  #5

Les "High Rise" Anderson. A 6' 5" guy from the '70s who could really leap.  

12/20/2021 10:31 am  #6

Just curious Wisconsin Colonial2021 how you would know of Les Anderson if you were a 2021 graduate...unless the 2021 is referring to something other than your graduation year.    As for Joe Bamisile, I am sure I am in the minority of this, but his highlight reel breakaway dunk vs. Radford rubbed me the wrong way.   To me, it came across more sad than exciting.   When you are 3-8 (our record of the time) and playing against lower level competition in a small arena that is only partially filled, how about getting the "winning" aspect of the game down first, and then we can work on the show boating and getting yourself on ESPN.  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/20/2021 2:06 pm)

12/20/2021 1:07 pm  #7

I hear what you're saying LSF, I guess my counterpoint would be that he and the team draw energy from these plays. We know dunking makes Joe happy and keep him loose.

I'm just saying the showboaty dunks may actually serve to help us as we strive for wins rather than taking away.

12/20/2021 1:42 pm  #8

Understand and respect what Steve is saying. We do need some entertainment in our pathetic triumphs so far. We always need energy.
   And from everything we can see so far, Joe's infectious enthusiasm and happiness comes from a place much more sincere than most anyone playing ball. His basketball notwithstanding, it seems Joe is already working to be a valued member of the GW community, which also can benefit from his personality.
       But agree with LSF on this. We were playing not only Radford, but a patently bad Radford team. There's an unspoken line between energizing and needlessly pouring it on. It would be different if we were playing a name team, or a close, tense game and needed a lift.
  Don't remember exactly when, but think we had the game if not in hand (4 point plays!), in a solid position at the time. And even if we didn't, if he ever misses one of those dunks, as good a guy and great GW community member as Joe seems to us, the coach should sit him down to think about it.
   Fundamentals first, as LSF noted. Also, time and place. 

12/20/2021 2:28 pm  #9

As long as Joe (or anyone) isn't taunting or belittling an opponent, and I've seen zero evidence of this, then I am totally fine with this.  It's pretty clear that Joe's game feeds off of his own energy which in turn becomes elevated when the fans appreciate his efforts.  His spectacular plays can also serve to pump up his teammates, also a positive thing.

I'd say the only time I'd ever have a problem with it would be if we had a huge lead and it can be construed as piling on.  The two four point plays by Radford is the perfect example that: a) the quality of the opponent should not have any bearing and b) unless a lead is insurmountable, then this is fair game.

And if he misses a spectacular dunk, then he should try again next time.  I don't think that stifling his creativity is a good answer to anything.

12/20/2021 3:27 pm  #10

There is a difference in the showboating at Maryland the second game of the season, to fire up the team and quiet the home crowd and the showboating vs lowly Radford before a tiny home crowd.   I am not so sure that the Radford dunk wasn't taunting...or at least could be interpreted as that.   Joe was recruited by and played for Virginia Tech, and is now still playing in the A-10.   He is suppose to be substantially better than anyone on Radford...didn't need to rub it in their faces.  A breakaway, uncontested dunk brings its own energy...the added stuff was not necessary and, as I said, given our record and the overall state of the program, to me it was more sad than exciting.   If he wants to show us he can do acrobatic dunks, do it in warmups.  

12/20/2021 4:00 pm  #11

LSF, we'll agree to disagree on this one.  You do realize we were beating "lowly" Radford by five whole points at halftime, don't you?  Joe's dunk capped a 7-0 run to build the lead to 12 with still over 17 minutes left in the game.  This just wasn't a case of adding insult to injury.  if we're up 30 in the same circumstance, then I'm right with you.  The next 4 points went to Radford so for what it's worth, maybe the dunk fired up Radford a bit.

In any case, if you see it as a taunt, then we're on different ends of the spectrum.  To me, a taunt is personal, it's showing up an individual.  I suppose it can also mean showing up a team but again, the circumstances of the game should dictate this.

In what has been a very disappointing season, I was happy to see the highlight.  Also worth noting that those were Joe's first points of the night and that he had all 7 of his points in the second half.  So if the dunk helped get him going, that's an added bonus. 

12/20/2021 4:14 pm  #12

Fair enough, but the fact that were only up by 10 doesn't change the fact that the basket still only counted for 2 points...no additional style points.  As they use to say about excessive celebrating in the end zone..."act like you have been there before".   Yes, we will disagree on this one, and now I will move on.

12/20/2021 7:39 pm  #13

Coach Christian actually addressed Bamisile’s dunking on this past Saturday’s show. He said he had no problems with Joe’s energy shown by that play and only hoped that when he misses one of those dunks in the future that he hopes it doesn’t come in a crucial situation. Pretty much says it all about where JC is versus the peanut gallery. For better or worse, Christian is looking to accentuate and encourage his players’ talents within the system he is running (I’ll leave it to all the armchairs to argue about its discernible existence). It’s about attracting talent to Foggy Bottom, a lure that would obviously be greatly enhanced by a growth in wins.

As for the size of the crowd being a determining factor whether Joe should be “showboat” dunking, I can’t think of anything that I disagree with more. Those are faithful butts in those seats who deserve every bit as much from the team as a full capacity crowd, probably more. Same thing the team deserves from its dedicated fans who choose to come to the games. Go through the list of names identified in this thread. Tell me their high wire “thunder dunks” didn’t excite you and the crowd. Comes with a taunt? Leave it in the practice gym. Comes with joy? Call up Gabrielle Union and BRING IT ON.

12/20/2021 8:54 pm  #14

I think that the defense of everything GW is affecting some peoples thinking. If you think that knowledgeable fans are looking for show boating dunks rather than fundamentally sound basketball, I couldn’t disagree more. it’s ok to be critical and still support your team. Does anyone on the team believe it is fun being 4-8  because of the occasional spectacular dunk? If so, maybe they shouldn’t be playing a team sport. There is a reason that we play before an empty arena, and it certainly isnt because of us in the peanut gallery, who expect more. Just once I would like to hear you be critical of a program that is in its 6th consecutive bad season,. Here’s a start…the problem isn’t with me.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/20/2021 10:46 pm)

12/20/2021 8:59 pm  #15

Thanks. Interesting to note JC addressed this.
  Perhaps it's more than the "peanut gallery" of hard-core fans that had thoughts about this.
  Not a huge issue,given our circumstances. And personally see it as more of a time and place thing than right or wrong.
But sounds like it was at least a worth being a topic for discussion and clarification.

12/20/2021 10:30 pm  #16

LSF-Well done.

12/20/2021 10:50 pm  #17

Thank you GW69.  Someone has to speak up for us in the peanut gallery who expect more than the occasional spectacular dunk against the likes of Radford to get excited about the train wreck that we have become.

12/20/2021 11:06 pm  #18

The whining insufferable fan bombards the site non-stop with his negative rubbish. 

A thread intended to get away from it, totally hijacked by the latest contrived invented "issue"

12/20/2021 11:20 pm  #19

Dude-The thread itself feels “contrived”.I guess anything to get our minds off how lousy we are works for you.
What a sad spectacle we have become..”List of best dunkers”-talk about “hijacking”.

12/20/2021 11:55 pm  #20

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I think that the defense of everything GW is affecting some peoples thinking. If you think that knowledgeable fans are looking for show boating dunks rather than fundamentally sound basketball, I couldn’t disagree more. it’s ok to be critical and still support your team. Does anyone on the team believe it is fun being 4-8  because of the occasional spectacular dunk? If so, maybe they shouldn’t be playing a team sport. There is a reason that we play before an empty arena, and it certainly isnt because of us in the peanut gallery, who expect more. Just once I would like to hear you be critical of a program that is in its 6th consecutive bad season,. Here’s a start…the problem isn’t with me.

Bit of a disconnect, LSF. Not sure what not being upset by an entertaining dunk has to do with satisfaction or anger about the current state of the program. You find it necessary to publicly express your dissatisfaction. Whether it’s to vent, motivate, send a message or whatever, that’s who you are, that’s how you show your support for the program and has been consistently since you’ve been posting. Many others join you to varying degrees. Others choose to express opinions privately. Finding positive opinions to openly express, or at least avoiding dwelling on negative ones, is an alternative way of supporting the school and program. You can find it grating that some don’t approach things your way but I failed to read the manual stating that was the right or only way to support GW. Think Frank Sinatra had a song along those lines.

Board footera