GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2021 3:21 pm  #41

Re: No Fans

GW Rising's points are valid.  If in fact the vaccination provides the protection we have been told it does, then why cancel the games.   As a triple vaccinated senior, I am willing to take the risk of contracting mildly symptomatic Covid rather than to live is a shut in or constantly wear a mask.  Every year I get the influenza vaccination, again risking mild symptoms to live a normal life.   Of course I will wear a mask around "at risk" people, but if any person who can get the shot but refuses to do so for political or other dumb ass non-medical reasons...if they contract a serious illness, that is on them and I am not willing to make the sacrifice to protect them.   On the other hand, I can understand GW's position.   Covid 19 is not yet 2 years old, and multiple strands have already emerged, and if GW wants to err on the side of caution, I may not agree with what they did but I understand their point. 

12/17/2021 4:31 pm  #42

GWRising, thank you for your post and I feel you make many valid points and thank you for taking precautions and not recklessly endangering yourself or others.  I feel that GW's policies of vaccine mandates and masks are the gold standard and I agree with them, but I don't have any problem with them not permitting ticketed fans for a game or two while they figure out what's going on now. I believe several of the major sports are doing same right now, or maybe even cancelling or delaying scheduled games.  I believe the science is sound.  I can't think of any scientist or doctor that claimed they have a magic bullet to bring the virus to a halt or a very low spread. The only way that happens is when everyone does what you're doing.

12/17/2021 4:36 pm  #43

Not a debate worth having here, other than how the lack of fans will affect our winning ways.
We may have a physician or two here, but don't know how many epidemiologists with the right experience in this particular virus.
But wouldn't there be liability, real or even perceived, at the university level if we just ignored the increased threat?
And GW-UMES or any other game, while essential to us, is not really essential to society (except perhaps for comic relief).
Even if there's no legal problem, an unfortunate event would result in bad publicity, the only kind GW generally gets.

12/17/2021 4:50 pm  #44

Area games still listed as on in the next week with fans....

12/21 George Mason hosts American
12/23 George Mason hosts Coppin State

12/18 Mount St. Mary's hosts Morgan State

Somebody needs to send them the risk memo.

Last edited by GWRising (12/17/2021 4:52 pm)

12/17/2021 6:51 pm  #45

The good news is only 1200 people over the last three days got Covid. So it’s probably fine. All we are seeing is teams across the country in all sports getting sick. So risking it all for a game against umes is probably worth it

12/17/2021 7:47 pm  #46

And of course, on a far lesser level, it isn't affecting the NBA, NHL or NFL at all.

12/21/2021 4:50 pm  #47

12/21/2021 5:13 pm  #48

Seriously. The Washington Post? All you have to do is read down a few paragraphs and when they start talking about percentage of worldwide deaths you know Biden has lost. A third grader knows that the U.S. saw this virus before many parts of the world so, duh, it would have a larger percentage of the worldwide deaths initially.

But keep on believing BC. Maybe when the next wave rolls through you will start to understand that the man with a plan to end the virus had no such plan at all. And he was equipped with a vaccine. 

Remember this  ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/02/us/politics/biden-coronavirus.html

Or more importantly how about this ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bidens-covid-death-milestone-biden-administration-trump-11637708781

12/21/2021 6:18 pm  #49

The NHL is shutting down and bailing on the Olympics. The Boxing Day darbies in Wales will be played behind closed doors, if at all. New Zealand is closing its borders even tighter. Rapa Nui (a.k.a. "Easter Island") recorded its first COVID cases in 15 months today. That School Down the Street just joined a host of other teams welching on games.
So yeah. GW´s administration is a bunch poopyheads for not allowing people to gather indoors on campus to watch the baskeball game against UMES...

12/22/2021 9:42 am  #50

BC, you HAD to know that response was coming.

12/22/2021 9:54 am  #51

GWRising wrote:

Seriously. The Washington Post? All you have to do is read down a few paragraphs and when they start talking about percentage of worldwide deaths you know Biden has lost. A third grader knows that the U.S. saw this virus before many parts of the world so, duh, it would have a larger percentage of the worldwide deaths initially.

But keep on believing BC. Maybe when the next wave rolls through you will start to understand that the man with a plan to end the virus had no such plan at all. And he was equipped with a vaccine. 

Remember this  ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bidens-covid-death-milestone-biden-administration-trump-11637708781

I can't believe I'm doing this. Neither leader has effectively handled this. Perhaps because what both leaders have dealt with is completely unprecedented (coupled with completely unprecedented stubbornness on both sides).  Trump's blaming of China and failure to act as quickly as possible while also failing to publicize the true seriousness of COVID was a problem. Biden's general lack of anything other than a vaccine (developed while Trump was in office..but not by Trump) for this has been equally problematic. A "plan" to roll out tests to families without any timeline or specificity is not particularly helpful. A demand that schools stay open as teachers, students, and family members test positive is just as silly as a demand that they automatically close down.

But, to the point of this thread. Kvetching that ticket holders---all hundred of em--can't attend a GW-UMES basketball game in the  middle of a COVID Spike is just silly.  Can't we all just be intellectually honest about this?

12/22/2021 10:19 am  #52

Gwmayhem wrote:

BC, you HAD to know that response was coming.

Of course, it is well known for those who are interested in the facts.

12/22/2021 10:25 am  #53

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Remember this  ...

I can't believe I'm doing this. Neither leader has effectively handled this. Perhaps because what both leaders have dealt with is completely unprecedented (coupled with completely unprecedented stubbornness on both sides).  Trump's blaming of China and failure to act as quickly as possible while also failing to publicize the true seriousness of COVID was a problem. Biden's general lack of anything other than a vaccine (developed while Trump was in office..but not by Trump) for this has been equally problematic. A "plan" to roll out tests to families without any timeline or specificity is not particularly helpful. A demand that schools stay open as teachers, students, and family members test positive is just as silly as a demand that they automatically close down.

But, to the point of this thread. Kvetching that ticket holders---all hundred of em--can't attend a GW-UMES basketball game in the  middle of a COVID Spike is just silly.  Can't we all just be intellectually honest about this?

This I agree with (the first part). No one gets any props for handling this. But when you are the guy who complained about the first guy's approach and you are handed an effective tool that helps that the first guy didn't have, you would think your results would be better. Point is Biden opened his mouth without fully understanding that once the virus was out there, it was out there and no leader was going to bring it to its knees easily. This will be his "mission accomplished" anchor.

12/22/2021 10:27 am  #54

Dogma over facts.

12/22/2021 10:41 am  #55

Rising-I’ll work on my “need to be right” if you work on yours.

12/22/2021 10:49 am  #56

FWIW, Montgomery County continues to play HS games with fans including tonight though many are postponed.

12/22/2021 10:52 am  #57

GW69 wrote:

Rising-I’ll work on my “need to be right” if you work on yours.

Actually, GW69 if you read up the thread you will see I had left this alone until BC decided to re-start it. Didn't even need to have the last word either.

12/22/2021 11:07 am  #58

GWRising wrote:

FWIW, Montgomery County continues to play HS games with fans including tonight though many are postponed.

And Montgomery county cases continue to spike. Why are you touting this decision as a good one?

12/22/2021 11:21 am  #59

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

And Montgomery county cases continue to spike. Why are you touting this decision as a good one?

I didn't say it was a good one, I offered it as an example of someone else viewing the risk differently. And if you know anything about Montgomery County it is probably the most aggressive with its COVID measures.

12/22/2021 11:37 am  #60

Game is now postponed due to “GW COVID-19 protocols” - not sure if that means players or staff or just the university in general.

https://twitter.com/gw_mbb/status/1473662398435364868?s=21

https://gwsports.com/news/2021/12/22/gw-mens-basketball-game-vs-maryland-eastern-shore-postponed.asp

Did they ask GWRising what to do first I wonder? He is the expert.

Board footera