GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2021 12:02 pm  #61

Re: No Fans

No they didn't ask me and I bet they didn't ask you either. I'm not an expert. Unfortunately, all the experts keep coming up short don't they?

12/22/2021 12:04 pm  #62

Asymptomatic and minor symptomatic positives on both teams. I guess the fans gave it to the players (sarcasm). Wasn't that GW's rationale for no ticketed fans (to keep the student athletes safe)?

Last edited by GWRising (12/22/2021 12:05 pm)

12/22/2021 12:14 pm  #63

GWRising wrote:

Asymptomatic and minor symptomatic positives on both teams. I guess the fans gave it to the players (sarcasm). Wasn't that GW's rationale for no ticketed fans (to keep the student athletes safe)?

You’re always moving the goalposts. Just give it a rest.

12/22/2021 12:15 pm  #64

GWRising wrote:

No they didn't ask me and I bet they didn't ask you either. I'm not an expert. Unfortunately, all the experts keep coming up short don't they?

You’re not the expert, you are just here to tell us all that we are wrong and you are always right, because you know some doctors.

12/22/2021 12:16 pm  #65

GWRising wrote:

It's weird that scientists have a hard time knowing definitively what to do in the height of an unprecedented event. Here's what everybody knows, with almost 100% certainty. If we all stayed home, nobody would get sick. Yet, people want to go to sporting events, indoor events, and holiday parties. And so, people will get sick. The problem, of course, is not everybody has a "choice." Those people who choose to go to the events will also wind up commingling with the people who work at grocery stores, hospitals, offices that demand their employees come in, and retail stores.

We've put a value on the economy as a significant factor in the discussion about what to do about COVID. I'm placing no value judgment on that. But as long as the economy and people making money plays a role, there will be no end in sight.

12/22/2021 12:24 pm  #66

Damn, I was really looking forward to this game to help get rid of the bad taste of last night’s WFT disaster.

Last edited by DC Native (12/22/2021 12:24 pm)

12/22/2021 12:24 pm  #67

DC Native wrote:

Damn, I was really looking for to this game to help get rid of the bad taste of last night’s WFT disaster.

Same! And GW has been looking good the last few games.

12/22/2021 1:09 pm  #68

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

It's weird that scientists have a hard time knowing definitively what to do in the height of an unprecedented event. Here's what everybody knows, with almost 100% certainty. If we all stayed home, nobody would get sick. Yet, people want to go to sporting events, indoor events, and holiday parties. And so, people will get sick. The problem, of course, is not everybody has a "choice." Those people who choose to go to the events will also wind up commingling with the people who work at grocery stores, hospitals, offices that demand their employees come in, and retail stores.

We've put a value on the economy as a significant factor in the discussion about what to do about COVID. I'm placing no value judgment on that. But as long as the economy and people making money plays a role, there will be no end in sight.

Exactly so instead some pretend they're making a difference and really apparently believe that shit. It's religion at this point both ways and not science.

12/22/2021 1:14 pm  #69

squid wrote:

GWRising wrote:

You’re always moving the goalposts. Just give it a rest.

What goal posts? I just stated what GW said. So do you have evidence that fans caused the spread to players? If so, be happy to listen. Otherwise, you are just typing to type.

12/22/2021 1:33 pm  #70

No matter what someone says about restrictions, closures, precautions etc, you say they are bad and try to argue against them. If someone explains why they are good, you find another reason to be opposed to them. Just go full Q already, I know you want to. 

12/22/2021 2:01 pm  #71

squid wrote:

No matter what someone says about restrictions, closures, precautions etc, you say they are bad and try to argue against them. If someone explains why they are good, you find another reason to be opposed to them. Just go full Q already, I know you want to. 

So every closure, restriction, precaution makes sense? No matter what. 

There are plenty of reasonable restrictions and precautions - vaccines, masks, testing, etc. But only from a reduction in risk standpoint not an elimination of risk standpoint. I've said that time and time again here. But that doesn't mean the every restriction or precaution is necessary or advisable or justified by the evidence. You can't convince me that a 1,000 fans in a 5,000 seat arena who are vaccinated and masked demonstrably increases the risk of transmission from say 200 fans who are masked and vaccinated. That's what started this whole discussion.

Last edited by GWRising (12/22/2021 2:02 pm)

12/22/2021 2:21 pm  #72

Science is a lie. Basketball is an opiate of the masses. Especially dunks. Dunks release a mind control shockwave that dampens revolutionary thought, keeping us in line. The flasher the dunk the greater the mind control. So stopping flashy dunks is critical to waking up America. 

12/22/2021 4:45 pm  #73

I agree with Steve, that's the first useful thing on this thread.

12/22/2021 5:57 pm  #74

Looks like closed doors may apply to more than the ill-fated UMES game. Does not look there will be much in-person on campus for a while...

https://onward.gwu.edu/important-updates-spring-semester

12/26/2021 3:06 pm  #75

Extended through Jan 17th gwsports.com/news/2021/12/2…

12/26/2021 3:50 pm  #76

So...does this means that the games are cancelled, or will just be played without fans.    Can I assume that road games will still be played?   I was planning on going to St. Joes next Sunday,

12/26/2021 4:22 pm  #77

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

So...does this means that the games are cancelled, or will just be played without fans.    Can I assume that road games will still be played?   I was planning on going to St. Joes next Sunday,

It doesn't say games are cancelled through the 17th, just that if there are enough healthy players on both sides, games will be played w/o fans in attendance at Smith Center. 

Road attendance will obviously be dictated by the policies of the home school such as St. Joe's.  From what I can tell Hawk Hill requires masks for people in attendance but not a vax card.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/26/2021 6:38 pm)

12/26/2021 6:28 pm  #78

Thank you GW0509.  That seems to clarify it.  I just couldn't tell if the team was being shut down due to COVID or if they were being played without fans.  Saw no information on St. Joes site yet.   Sent an email to their Athletic Department and am awaiting a response.

12/26/2021 7:02 pm  #79

Ask them to mask that annoying Hawk--and bind his wings while they are it.
Making him or her flap the entire game is animal cruelty.

12/27/2021 11:47 am  #80

LSF I wouldn't make any plans to go to St. Joseph's. In fact, based on what I am hearing, I wouldn't expect to see GW playing (fans or no fans) over the next 2 games and possibly a few more. Expect between 2-4 postponements.

Last edited by GWRising (12/27/2021 11:49 am)

Board footera