GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2021 1:05 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Maryland ES Game Thread

squid wrote:

GWRising wrote:

How do we stop spreading it? Please do tell. You basically just told me triple vaxxed and a mask doesn't work. What next? Should we weld people in their houses like the Chinese government did?

Finally, the truth is coming out. I hear there are microchips in the vaccine too, buddy!

Yes that's why I got three of them - to make sure if one microchip failed the other two would still work. Man GW does a number on critical thinking apparently.

12/22/2021 1:23 pm  #22

I've lost the thread on this one, but I'm not going to see Spiderman to keep people safe. With great power comes great responsibility.

12/22/2021 1:28 pm  #23

What data and what science you ask?  

Two and a half weeks ago in this country, Omicron accounted for 3% of all U.S. covid cases.  A week and  half ago, this rose to 12%.  Today, it sits at 73%.  This is what's known as a rapidly spreading virus.

Over 926,000 new Covid cases within the U.S. in the last 7 days.  Over 150,000 within the past 24 hours.

A 440% rise in Washington, DC cases over the past two weeks.  A 57% increase in Maryland over this period, and a 55% increase in Virginia over this period.

And your argument to all of this is that new cases are up because testing is up?

Two thoughts:

1) Why do you suppose testing is up?  Do you chalk it up to some coincidence that mid-December happened to be the point in time where so many Americans decided to get tested?  Do you account all of this to the holidays...people wanting to travel, etc., and none of it due to a rapidly spreading virus?

2) Using your logic, namely that cases will always spike when testing spikes, are we to conclude that the variants themselves have nothing to do with any of this?

12/22/2021 1:48 pm  #24

Gwmayhem wrote:

Two and a half weeks ago in this country, Omicron accounted for 3% of all U.S. covid cases.  A week and  half ago, this rose to 12%.  Today, it sits at 73%.  This is what's known as a rapidly spreading virus.

Over 926,000 new Covid cases within the U.S. in the last 7 days.  Over 150,000 within the past 24 hours.

A 440% rise in Washington, DC cases over the past two weeks.  A 57% increase in Maryland over this period, and a 55% increase in Virginia over this period.

And your argument to all of this is that new cases are up because testing is up?

Two thoughts:

1) Why do you suppose testing is up?  Do you chalk it up to some coincidence that mid-December happened to be the point in time where so many Americans decided to get tested?  Do you account all of this to the holidays...people wanting to travel, etc., and none of it due to a rapidly spreading virus?

2) Using your logic, namely that cases will always spike when testing spikes, are we to conclude that the variants themselves have nothing to do with any of this?

Yes cases up, testing up. Are hospitalizations/deaths due to Omicron up? No one can answer that yet. Isn't that what matters in the end? If you get what amounts to a bad cold from Omicron how is that different from the other human coronaviruses for which we did not try and stop the world? Wouldn't that information be relevant? 

By the way the percentages of Omicron are estimates. The test doesn't tell you whether you have Omicron or Delta or Alpha. They can't even tell you that in the hospital. The percentages are based off of samples sent to a specialized lab and then extrapolated to public testing positives. Not necessarily completely accurate but an estimate with margins of error depending on how many samples are being tested versus how many tests. But because 70+% are coming back as Omicron doesn't mean Omicron exists equally throughout the U.S. For example, Florida has seen very little of it so far.

12/22/2021 1:49 pm  #25

Squid, in case you are unaware, the option of bypassing this thread, and the No Fans thread, does exist.

12/22/2021 1:50 pm  #26

squid wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Two thoughts:

Once again, give it a rest already. I admit I am partially at fault here by feeding the troll, but honestly, for the fun of this board, our sanity, and our health, just stop.

Yes, I'm a troll lol. Apparently a troll is anyone you don't agree with. Got it.

12/22/2021 1:52 pm  #27

Gwmayhem wrote:

Squid, in case you are unaware, the option of bypassing this thread, and the No Fans thread, does exist.

Exactly.

12/22/2021 2:16 pm  #28

I mean, this is a good convo, but you guys are missing the big picture...

Trump, who is actually a deepstate member of the left wing cabal got into office to work with china on creating the virus. The Dems ran Hilary (his cabal friend) knowing she was beatable, so he could get into office and do just this!

The virus was created as a trojan horse for a vaccine that would transform all injected into liberal drones who could be turned on with the flip of a switch to create the leftist cabal's communist utopia (obvi a dystopia).

You may ask why make a vaccine that so many thinkers on the right would reject, if you were trying to create an army of mindless drones? well the vaccine mind wipe isnt perfect tech. it only really works if the mind is already gullible. so Trump planted those seeds of doubt to prevent the enlightened on the right from taking the phony vaccine, because if they did, the brainwashing would backfire and their plans would be revealed. 

Luckily, their plan may be foiled, but we all need to go to the "cancelled" sporting events. These are actually rallying points for us enlightened to start to push back and save our fellow Americans from the brainwashing. 

OBVIOUSLY

12/22/2021 4:48 pm  #29

I should note I conflated GWMayhem's and GWRising's posts, my bad. I thought I was replying to Rising. I agree with Mayhem above, but not Rising, who is actually the one who is trolling. My apologies, GWMayhem. I deleted the post.

Last edited by squid (12/22/2021 4:50 pm)

12/22/2021 5:08 pm  #30

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Two thoughts:

Yes cases up, testing up. Are hospitalizations/deaths due to Omicron up? No one can answer that yet. Isn't that what matters in the end? If you get what amounts to a bad cold from Omicron how is that different from the other human coronaviruses for which we did not try and stop the world? Wouldn't that information be relevant? 

By the way the percentages of Omicron are estimates. The test doesn't tell you whether you have Omicron or Delta or Alpha. They can't even tell you that in the hospital. The percentages are based off of samples sent to a specialized lab and then extrapolated to public testing positives. Not necessarily completely accurate but an estimate with margins of error depending on how many samples are being tested versus how many tests. But because 70+% are coming back as Omicron doesn't mean Omicron exists equally throughout the U.S. For example, Florida has seen very little of it so far.

I'm looking at Fairfax numbers, not DC numbers. However, the Nov. 25 hospitalization number was 21 (7 day rolling average). It is currently 75. The last time levels were like this was September, and before that March of 2021.  So yes, hospitalizations are up, considerably.

12/22/2021 5:32 pm  #31

Let's not bypass this explanation, which might be rational to some people in the country, who seem to believe shall we say unorthodox ideas.
   It makes as much sense as debating, if you somehow think the topic is up for debate, the types and origins of Covid on a basketball board.

Steve wrote:

I mean, this is a good convo, but you guys are missing the big picture...

Trump, who is actually a deepstate member of the left wing cabal got into office to work with china on creating the virus. The Dems ran Hilary (his cabal friend) knowing she was beatable, so he could get into office and do just this!

The virus was created as a trojan horse for a vaccine that would transform all injected into liberal drones who could be turned on with the flip of a switch to create the leftist cabal's communist utopia (obvi a dystopia).

You may ask why make a vaccine that so many thinkers on the right would reject, if you were trying to create an army of mindless drones? well the vaccine mind wipe isnt perfect tech. it only really works if the mind is already gullible. so Trump planted those seeds of doubt to prevent the enlightened on the right from taking the phony vaccine, because if they did, the brainwashing would backfire and their plans would be revealed. 

Luckily, their plan may be foiled, but we all need to go to the "cancelled" sporting events. These are actually rallying points for us enlightened to start to push back and save our fellow Americans from the brainwashing. 

OBVIOUSLY

12/22/2021 5:35 pm  #32

The important thing about sarcasm is selling it so that the reader just isn't sure that the author is being sarcastic. Jonathan Swift (if I remember correctly) wrote an essay on why we should eat children. It was perfect.
Steve, I don't know if you are brilliant, or an idiot, but either way, I got a chuckle out of your post. And I've spent a lot of money since my vac...does that count?

Chris

12/22/2021 5:37 pm  #33

Go with brilliant in this case.

12/22/2021 6:01 pm  #34

No matter where you come down on how COVID-19 and related science has been characterized either by the media or the politicians, or how school policy makers have reacted, I think we can all agree that postponing the game today was a responsible action given the rapid spread of Omicron (on top of the Delta wave).  The last thing GW would want is to overwhelm its own hospital and further endanger their hospital staff with a fresh load of sick patients.  Frustrating times, for sure. 

12/22/2021 6:23 pm  #35

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Two thoughts:

I'm looking at Fairfax numbers, not DC numbers. However, the Nov. 25 hospitalization number was 21 (7 day rolling average). It is currently 75. The last time levels were like this was September, and before that March of 2021.  So yes, hospitalizations are up, considerably.

I was being specific when I said "due to Omicron". The two studies reported on today say that hospitalizations are as much as 80%+ lower with Omicron than Delta and other variants. That is potentially very good news for everyone. The studies are not necessarily on point because they occurred in South Africa and UK and there could be differences here.  But yes,, the seasonal level of COVID was increasing anyway but that was expected due to Delta. However, Delta is not what is freaking everyone out right now (even though arguably it is much more serious at least to the unvaccinated) and causing cancellations. I could be wrong but I don't think the current concern has anything to do with Delta which was here and rising steadily starting in late October. In addition, hospitalizations lag infection numbers so we should know within 2 weeks if Omicron is producing higher hospitalization rates here in U.S.. Anecdotally, from two hospital ER directors (doctors), they are not so far.

But all of this continues to beg the larger question, - If you are triple vaxxed and wear a mask, why are you at increased risk or putting someone else at increased risk? I assume peoiple are smart enough to decide under those constraints whether or not to attend. No one has attempted to answer that question because I suspect they can't. Some here can't read and think I want to make this about vaccinations or masks. Nothing to do with that at all. Support both as risk mitigation strategies..It was always only about why GW made the decision when it did in the manner it did (no ticketed fans but others allowed). I would have had a ton more understanding of the logic if they just said "no game" as they did today. And it's not about missing a game, I will miss several over the course of the season. And it s also not about "well it's ok because the team is 4-8 and its UMES" because if someone had a different opinion if the team was 12-0, I would lose all respect for them. 

Last edited by GWRising (12/22/2021 6:29 pm)

12/22/2021 7:37 pm  #36

Hate to do this, but I agree with GWRising on this one.   There has been one fatality so far attributable to Omicron, that was reported earlier today when an (unvaccinated) man passed away in Texas.   Influenza kills thousands (maybe tens of thousands) each year, and the nation doesn't shut down because of that.  I am a believer in erring on the side of caution, but this appears to be an over-reaction.   If the vaccinations are as effective as advertised (and I have no reason to believe that they aren't), then life should go on.   I thought masking and proof of vaccination was more than sufficient to address concerns.

12/22/2021 8:19 pm  #37

It's early in this waver LSF,  there's usually a two week lag in hospitalization and deaths perhaps a little later than that.  Though Omicron appears to be less dangerous than Delta it also appears to be more infectious.  So more cases at a lower mortality rate could still equal too many deaths.   Hospitals could still be overwhelmed. 
One hopeful note is that news is that the S. African wave appears to be diminishing already.  So, if we're lucky this wave could be over in a month or two.On the other hand, Covid could be like the flu, mutating every few months and requiring new versions of the vaccine.  Wouldn't that be fun?

So everybody stay careful and hopefully well and have a serene holiday.

12/23/2021 11:51 am  #38

squid wrote:

I should note I conflated GWMayhem's and GWRising's posts, my bad. I thought I was replying to Rising. I agree with Mayhem above, but not Rising, who is actually the one who is trolling. My apologies, GWMayhem. I deleted the post.

No problem at all Squid.

I do want to add that while I am in strong disagreement with GWRising's stance, I don't believe what he's doing here is trolling.  He has his beliefs, LSF seems to be in agreement, and if we were to poll the country, I'd venture to say that at least 40% would likely take his point of view as well.

We are sadly all too familiar with what trolling looks like on this board.  It involves repetitive posts, and/or posts that are specifically designed to agitate or annoy others.  A troll goes out of his way to piss people off.  It's far more than simply having an opinion that is contrary to the majority here.

Enough troll talk.  Wishing everyone here a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.  And to the Colonials,. we are all ready to be pleasantly surprised in 2022.

12/23/2021 12:31 pm  #39

Gwmayhem wrote:

squid wrote:

No problem at all Squid.

I do want to add that while I am in strong disagreement with GWRising's stance, I don't believe what he's doing here is trolling.  He has his beliefs, LSF seems to be in agreement, and if we were to poll the country, I'd venture to say that at least 40% would likely take his point of view as well.

We are sadly all too familiar with what trolling looks like on this board.  It involves repetitive posts, and/or posts that are specifically designed to agitate or annoy others.  A troll goes out of his way to piss people off.  It's far more than simply having an opinion that is contrary to the majority here.

Enough troll talk.  Wishing everyone here a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.  And to the Colonials,. we are all ready to be pleasantly surprised in 2022.

Thank you for that Gwmayhem. Reasonable people are going to disagree on this one. 

The only thing I would take issue with is your 40% estimate. I think like most things this is pretty much split down the middle nationally with higher or lower amounts in different regions in general and higher or lower amounts depending on what activities you are talking about specifically..

That said, Merry Christmas to everyone and best wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2022. 

12/23/2021 1:53 pm  #40

Another great thread, where Mailvan argues for 2 days with "someone else"  back and forth back and forth, back and forth.

Board footera