GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2021 11:18 pm  #1

GW vs Bonnies Game Thread

Next up, The Bonnies, a pre-season top 25 team widely expected to win the A10.

Davidson with a tremendous OOC, has actually surpassed The Bonnies in KenPom for the moment, but needless to say we will be massive underdogs.

GW does come into the game riding a 2 game win streak.  Shock the world and make it 3 straight??

12/23/2021 4:16 pm  #2

Re: GW vs Bonnies Game Thread

Dude

75% chance this game is not played.

Interestingly one of the RPI sites show this game as a 4point win for GW.  Shows how statistics can lie

12/23/2021 4:52 pm  #3

PKGW wrote:

Dude

75% chance this game is not played.

Interestingly one of the RPI sites show this game as a 4point win for GW. Shows how statistics can lie

Given what I know about the Administration and the current player situation, I would place the percentages much higher at closer to 90% that the Bonnies game is not played. And, we may not want it to be played then with no fans and potentially missing key players.

12/23/2021 5:54 pm  #4

Do you know of any players who have tested positive?   Are you at liberty to say who?

12/23/2021 6:51 pm  #5

The University has already scrapped an in-person start to the next term, so I´d venture to guess that even if this game gets played that it will be held behind closed doors.

12/23/2021 8:20 pm  #6

I just got an email from the University saying that athletic events will take place without ticketed fans until January 18, among other details about re-opening campus in January. So that means no fans against the Bonnies, Dayton and George Mason (and no fans for the women's team against West Chester, St Louis, Richmond and Rhode Island). I would be pretty surprised if the Bonnies game is played considering the COVID issues within our program and how cases continue to surge. Hopefully the A-10 eases up on its forfeiture policy and we can see these guys play soon.

12/24/2021 12:53 pm  #7

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Do you know of any players who have tested positive?   Are you at liberty to say who?

Yes and No.

12/25/2021 9:06 am  #8

I’ve been told there were 10 positives in the program. At least 2 are starters. Not sure if players or coaches make up the balance. There is no way they can play the Bonnies. Happy Holidays!!

12/25/2021 12:24 pm  #9

Hope everybody is healthy. This is the worst. Lots of teams can’t play. I hate to say it, but may be worth shutting down for a bit to keep the kids healthy.

12/28/2021 1:57 pm  #10

Officially postponed.

Bunch of other A-10 games PPD too. Only games left on the Thursday slate are Fordham/La Salle and SJU/UR but I bet it’s just a matter of time.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/28/2021 1:59 pm)

12/28/2021 2:28 pm  #11

As mentioned in the other thread, don't suspect it will be the last postponement. I am thinking we may be out through Dayton but the change yesterday in CDC Guidelines may shorten that a bit. Hard to say at this point, how long it will be. Pretty sure no St. Joseph's on Sunday though.. Good thing this is not the NEC or they would impose forfeits which is the most ludicrous thing ever. You told everyone to get vaccinated/boosted and they did. Now you want to penalize the kids for getting something they have no control over. Bad leadership by NEC which may bite them in ass later if it adversely affects their best teams. Postponements ok forfeits are bullshit.

12/28/2021 2:33 pm  #12

After this wave passes through the team, and assuming everyone gets boosted,  I think the league should take the posture of Calipari and UK who said that they’d only test players who are symptomatic going forward.

12/28/2021 9:34 pm  #13

GW0509 wrote:

After this wave passes through the team, and assuming everyone gets boosted, I think the league should take the posture of Calipari and UK who said that they’d only test players who are symptomatic going forward.

The problem with this is certain schools have testing protocols for students, even those who are asymptomatic.

12/28/2021 10:03 pm  #14

GW0509 wrote:

After this wave passes through the team, and assuming everyone gets boosted, I think the league should take the posture of Calipari and UK who said that they’d only test players who are symptomatic going forward.

As someone who has worked with KYS (Know Your Status) campaigns in southern Africa to combat the spread of HIV/Aids, I want to say that Calipari´s position is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard from anyone affiliated (albeit marginally, at best, in this case) with academia. The whole point of testing is to prevent the spread of the virus, not to confirm that a person with symptoms in fact has the virus and may have been spreading it around. I hate having my nose violated for these tests, but better to stop the virus in its tracks than to let it circulate. Sure, it means Calipari gets games in so his shoe sponsors get their screen time, but it is a bad public health measure (and dead and hospitalized people do not buy units of shoes or whatever else the coach is peddling).

12/28/2021 10:32 pm  #15

GWAA, Understood.

The problem is every school has and will continue to have different testing protocols. Some may not test at all like UK, some may test everyone a day before a road game, and some may test 2X/week. I just don’t see how that’s workable and the variance in testing will probably lead to many more games getting cancelled if one program is picking up more asymptomatic cases because they are testing more frequently.

I think if GW decides to be conservative in testing, we may end up like last year and only play maybe 8 conference games. Not only is that not great for the athletes but it’s not great for JC who still is attempting to have some semblance of stability and not great for the school who is trying to assess whether JC is the long term answer as HC. 

I realize that those considerations are trivial to the deaths or hospitalizations we’ve seen in the news, but like everything else in our society money talks and missing games is not something we really can afford. Look at how the CDC is now allowing people who may still be symptomatic to go back to work after 5 days.

12/29/2021 8:46 am  #16

We are fortunate this game will not be played as scheduled, and fortunate that at least some officials still have public health and safety at the forefront.

12/29/2021 10:18 am  #17

GWAA's point is an illuminating one.  Stopping the spread of the virus will involve more than simply testing symptomatic individuals.  And yet, a trend seems to be emerging amongst pro sports leagues and I suspect colleges as well to test fewer (symptomatic only) athletes as well as reduce wait times before infected athletes can get back to playing.

This is all sounding like as long as there isn't one definitive right way to solve this, we all may be a little too willing to cut corners which may turn out to prolong Covid far further than what might otherwise be the case.

12/29/2021 6:27 pm  #18

Think we are less susceptible financially than many programs, though that should not be a consideration in
terms of player, student, fan and public health.
   In terms of cutting corners, Calipari is the master.
   John Chaney rather vigorously expressed his opinion of Calipari years ago.

Board footera