GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2021 1:01 pm  #1

Who Do You Like?

Time to get our minds off of another Covid-delayed season.  

Team Jarvis:  Yinka, Shawnta, Yegor, Sasha, Kwame, Dirkk, Vaughn, Sonni, King, Brigham, Pearsall, Hammons

Team Hobbs:  Pops, Hall, JR, Carl, Omar, Regus, Diggs, Hollis, Tony, Mo Rice, Lasan, Pellom

Team Lonergan:  Zeke, Creek, Kethan, KevLar, Joe, Pato, Tyler, Roland, C. Smith, Marfo, Paulie J., Bolden

(Notes:  I arbitrarily selected guys who I associated with the coach.  TJ could be on the Hobbs team but I associate him more with Penders so he is not.  I included guys Lonergan recruited but never coached as his tenure was a bit less than the other two coaches.) 

Each team plays a best of 7 against one another.  Who is beating who and by what margin of games?

12/27/2021 2:39 pm  #2

Re: Who Do You Like?

Shouldn't Yuta be on Team Lonergan?

12/27/2021 3:19 pm  #3

jf wrote:

Shouldn't Yuta be on Team Lonergan?

Wow, how did I miss that one?  (relying on my memory, that's how.)

OK, Yuta is in, Bolden or Marfo is out.  I don't think that Lonergan's team would win or lose any more if Jair were in and Kevin were out or vice versa.

12/28/2021 10:04 am  #4

I’m going to assume Pikiell is on the Hobbs staff, so we get good Hobbs not “the weave” Hobbs.

Team ML will probably surprise both other teams with the 1-3-1 as it has multiple times in OOC tournament settings, but Jarvis and Hobbs will figure it out by games 2 or 3 (as well coached A10 teams did).

Jarvis v ML will be a chess match, but ultimately one of the top FG% defenses in the country will frustrate and ML’s team will fold in game 7. 

Hobbs’ athletic dunk machine will speed up the ML team and Garino, Yuta, Colin Smith and Savage will get sucked in to a running game they can’t win.  Hobbs in 6.

Jarvis v Hobbs will be a test of wills. Defense vs offense.  Yinka will be guarding the basket against the dunk machine and while Pinnock and Pops will get some wins, they’ll ultimately be flustered by multiple rejections. The Yegor v Mike Hall matchup will be worth the price of admission.  Jarvis’ team will have the stronger heart and discipline and pull it out in 6.

Team Jarvis 2-0
Team Hobbs 1-1
Team ML 0-2

12/28/2021 11:57 pm  #5

BM wrote:

I’m going to assume Pikiell is on the Hobbs staff, so we get good Hobbs not “the weave” Hobbs.

Team ML will probably surprise both other teams with the 1-3-1 as it has multiple times in OOC tournament settings, but Jarvis and Hobbs will figure it out by games 2 or 3 (as well coached A10 teams did).

Jarvis v ML will be a chess match, but ultimately one of the top FG% defenses in the country will frustrate and ML’s team will fold in game 7. 

Hobbs’ athletic dunk machine will speed up the ML team and Garino, Yuta, Colin Smith and Savage will get sucked in to a running game they can’t win.  Hobbs in 6.

Jarvis v Hobbs will be a test of wills. Defense vs offense.  Yinka will be guarding the basket against the dunk machine and while Pinnock and Pops will get some wins, they’ll ultimately be flustered by multiple rejections. The Yegor v Mike Hall matchup will be worth the price of admission.  Jarvis’ team will have the stronger heart and discipline and pull it out in 6.

Team Jarvis 2-0
Team Hobbs 1-1
Team ML 0-2

I agree.  But if Jarvis coached Team Hobbs, I might rethink it.

12/29/2021 8:16 am  #6

Agree with FQ.  Jarvis + Team Hobbs could've reached 05-06 George Mason levels of success.

12/29/2021 10:28 am  #7

What makes this interesting to me is that each team offers a unique resume.  Jarvis made the Sweet 16 but I discount this a bit due to who we beat to get there.  What Jarvis did was make 4 NCAA tournaments over a 6 year period and did so with essentially two "groups:  the Yinka/Dirkk/Kwame/Vaughn group and the Shawnta/Yegor/Sasha group.  Hobbs won the two A10 Championships (admittedly during a down period for the conference) but he had a core group that was as proficient at fitting into a style of play as any group GW has ever had.  We can argue whether they were the most talented but they were the best at maximizing their strengths because of the way that they played.  Like Hobbs,. Lonergan really had one major group to work with but this was primarily due to his not having more time at GW.  Lonergan has the NIT Championship along with more high quality out of conference victories than perhaps Jarvis and Hobbs combined. 

12/29/2021 11:48 am  #8

I agree about ML’s OOC success which is why BM’s analysis rings true. In a one game match ML probably could take any of the teams but over a 7 game series I think both Hobbs and Jarvis would figure him out. As BM says, it’s why ML’s conference results were never as impressive as the teams he picked off in Nov/Dec

12/29/2021 12:13 pm  #9

I remember whenever we pulled out the 1-3-1 versus the good St Louis teams, it would immediately result in a sharp diagonal pass to an unguarded Billiken streaking towards the basket on the weakside baseline, resulting in an easy layup or dunk. The 1-3-1 would last for maybe two defensive series.

12/29/2021 2:47 pm  #10

As a student during the Hobbs era, they get my vote, hands down. Especially if you add not-Hobbs' recruits in Monroe and TJ. It'd be really fun to watch Mike Hall battle Yuta. It'd be really fun to watch Carl and Pops and JR fight through the 1-3-1 of Lonergan. Reece would be crucial, I think.

But man these would be fun to watch!

12/29/2021 3:13 pm  #11

I would pay good money to watch Yegor vs Hall

12/29/2021 4:25 pm  #12

I was actually thinking about this the other day.  I think it is a really close call between the Hobbs and Lonergan teams.  But if I had to make a pick on which was the most talented lineup above, I would go with Hobbs.  But it is close with players like Yuta, Garino, Armwood and Larsen.  Really close.  

Board footera