GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2022 2:13 pm  #1

The Last Days of Bobby Knight

If you haven't yet seen the 30 for 30, well worth it,

An unflinching view of an abusive Coach and the carnage it brings.

1/03/2022 2:21 pm  #2

Re: The Last Days of Bobby Knight

About 4 years old. Glad you finally caught up.

Funny the overwhelming the majority of his players stand by him to this day. And he won more national championships than America's Greatest Drunk Driving Coach. Strange.

Last edited by GWRising (1/03/2022 2:22 pm)

1/03/2022 2:44 pm  #3

To bring this random mention of a years-old documentary back to the topic of this board (namely GW basketball), let us never forget that due to an inate inability by the Colonials to make free throws Knight was able to record his final NCAA Tournament win at Indiana against GW.

1/03/2022 3:28 pm  #4

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

To bring this random mention of a years-old documentary back to the topic of this board (namely GW basketball), let us never forget that due to an inate inability by the Colonials to make free throws Knight was able to record his final NCAA Tournament win at Indiana against GW.

Some would argue it was our decision not to play zone ... just saying.

1/03/2022 5:54 pm  #5

The standout feature, how little regard was shown for the student athletes, and how Knight's cronies attacked the journalists and players.

then of course, the video showing it was all true surfaced

1/03/2022 6:06 pm  #6

Kind of like Deadspin and GW.

1/04/2022 7:36 am  #7

Yes Deadspin is our "Last Days.""Funny the overwhelming the majority of his players stand by him to this day."

1/04/2022 7:38 am  #8

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Pretty sure free throws don't mean shit when you're giving up a buck eight and lose by 20.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1999-03-11-george-washington.html

1/04/2022 10:57 am  #9

GW shot 11-16 from the line against Indiana.  I think GWAA is mixing up this game with the Georgia Tech tournament game where GW was in the game but atrocious from the line.  At least I got to revisit the Indiana box score and noticed that Antwan Randle-El scored two points against us.  Am not sure I ever put that together. 

As for the troll's post, I mean, sure.  One coach choked one of his players, threw a chair during an in-game meltdown, and would incessantly berate his players as a means to motivate them.  The other coach worked for an athletic director who allegedly paid one of the coach's players while also initiating a romantic relationship with this player, invited other players to his apartment for private dinners behind the coach's back, and was regrettably caught on video.  All of this added up to this other coach allegedly responding with sarcasm towards some of his players and allegedly bringing up some things that made some players feel uncomfortable.  I can only imagine how Coach Knight may have handled matters if he had been in Coach Lonergan's shoes.

1/04/2022 11:45 am  #10

For 6 years here, the sounding off the Knight cronies playbook, with the same attack on the journalists and zero regard for the student athletes

If you care about the student athletes you can see the stories were obviously true. The journalists are lying is the conclusion reached only to retain the Coach by those who don't care. They only care out their own fan experience. Keep Knight! The kids and journalists are liars!

Indiana and GW were both too slow to react or protect the students but at least in time they both did

Anyone putting meaningless games between amateur college students over the well being of kids is a cretin.

The Knight film shows the real cost of retaining and abetting abusive maniacs

Last edited by The Dude (1/04/2022 12:17 pm)

1/04/2022 12:25 pm  #11

Just when I thought you could not possibly come up with a worse argument, you come along with Knight and Lonergan, two peas in a pod.  

Let's recap Knight's transgressions, using real names.

Neil Reed was choked by Knight, caught on a video during a practice.  It took Reed three years to report the incident.  Knight initially denied it, was investigated, and was fired six months later before the start of a new season.

Jim Wisman was grabbed by the jersey and thrown into a seat after he had the audacity to turn the ball over twice.

Head-butt Sherron Wilkerson while yelling at him.

Pushes Michael Prince's chin with an open hand.

Takes a kick at his own son Pat.

Punched Todd Jadlow in the back of his head, grabbed him by the neck and shook him violently and according to Jadlow, made a habit of grabbing players by the testacles and squeezing.

Want more?

Hit a policeman.

Has fought with fans in the crowd, more than once.

Berated IU's cheerleaders for cheering while Steve Alford was at the foul line.  

Has kicked a megaphone.

Infamously threw a chair across the court.

Threw a vase in the direction of a secretary.

Yes, I would whole heartedly agree that Bob Knight was an abusive maniac.

Your turn Dude.  Let's see your list that supports the argument that Mike Lonergan was also an abusive maniac, one whose statements and actions are along the lines of Bob Knight.  Be sure to use real GW player names and let us know specifically the physical and/or verbal abuse they endured.  Am expecting to see a list every bit as long and detailed as the one I've provided about Knight. 

1/04/2022 12:43 pm  #12

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL!!!!!!!!  I swear to god, the two of you are going to turn me into an abusive maniac.  

1/04/2022 2:22 pm  #13

Well said Porter. The problem is it's so easy to respond because of what life has dealt him. He overpaid for his GW Law degree and is doing paralegal work. Only a good psych can help him.
Just when I put those images of our previous AD dry humping the young man while doing obscene gestures with his tongue, Dead Spin is mentioned. Nero's consulting company must not be doing well since it lists 0 income the last several years. He should go on the bull riding circuit. I saw some talent in those videos!

1/04/2022 2:46 pm  #14

porter71 wrote:

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL!!!!!!!!  I swear to god, the two of you are going to turn me into an abusive maniac.  

What's the better solution porter71?  Ignore the troll and he'll go away?  How's that been working out?

And before you respond by saying "why not try ignoring him", let me assure you that I've ignored him plenty of times.  You wouldn't notice this because it's not like I announce "I'm ignoring him".

Meanwhile and more to the point, The Dude continues to make both blatantly and passive-aggressively attempts at besmirching Mike Lonergan.  Am sorry if we disagree but I don't think the correct answer is to sit back and allow this to happen.  He violates BGF's rules each and every time he does this but predictably, The Dude has no regard for someone else's rules.  When your sole goals are to piss people off and sabotage the enjoyment of others, this is entirely predictable.

1/04/2022 3:03 pm  #15

Lie down with dogs , expect fleas. 
That's what happens every day on this board with regard to The Dude's posts. He will monopolize every thread, post first and most often (even if what he's saying is regurgitive drivel) but no one is supposed to respond or challenge him.
Be nice to The Dude, everyone, or we will miss his sterling insights into GW history, college basketball in general, and quantum mechanics as applied to extraorbital spacecraft.

1/04/2022 3:11 pm  #16

So I think Mayhem's post deserves a response, Dude, since you teed it up.
Dude: List ML's documented and verified examples of player abuse.  
The allegations in the Post article may qualify as documented but they have most certainly not been verified, and have even been debunked by quoted players like Armwood, Creek and Garino, who said they never saw anything untoward from ML toward his team.
However, interestingly, you've shown no interest at all in criticizing a predatory athletic director and subject of a Title IX investigation who endangered players' lives, ended a coach's career and doomed the future of our entire program, all for his own sexual gratification (gay or not ... disgusting).
That stuff was OK in your book.
No one (at least not me) has ever heard you criticize the former AD for his singular role in blowing up the program because ML wouldn't allow our locker room to be turned into a brass rail with glory holes.

1/04/2022 3:14 pm  #17

1/04/2022 3:18 pm  #18

Quoted:
Ken DeMatteo, whose company, Sports Travel International, arranged GW’s European tour, says Nero “made my life miserable” and embarrassed the school with his “bizarre” comportment. “He was drinking all the time,” says DeMatteo. “I’ve been to Italy 22 times with different teams, but I couldn’t wait to get out of there and get away from him.”

1/04/2022 3:22 pm  #19

Several months before the Post story, Lonergan received official word from the school that its investigation of the verbal abuse charges was complete and that he had been cleared of all Title IX-related charges. GW provost Steven Lerman sent letters to the coach on school letterhead in the fall of 2015 declaring Lonergan formally cleared.

1/04/2022 3:23 pm  #20

Lonergan’s chances of survival were bolstered when several of his players came forward after the Post story to say the coach was tough but fair, with their names attached to the endorsements.Patricio Garino tweeted that he was “shocked” by the allegations against Lonergan. “Coach is very old-school and he’s gonna push you to the limits to reach your potential,” he wrote in part. “Even though we went at each other a few times I know he did it because he knew I was able to perform better, and that’s something that I appreciate now because it got me to where I am today.

Board footera