GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2021 5:16 pm  #1

Postponements

Rather than have this get lost in a thread with a different subject title, posting this here.
The A-10 has revised its COVID policies and changed when a game would be considered a forfeit. A slew of men´s and women´s games have already been postponed to dates TBA, including the GW-St Bona game set to be played in the Smith Center this week.
I will leave it to the virologists who post here to discuss the merrits or tomfoolery of the policies. I am wearing a mask and limiting social interactions, but if you want to spread a deadly virus and live in a place that allows you the freedum to do so, have at it.
https://gwsports.com/news/2021/12/28/mens-basketball-atlantic-10-revises-covid-forfeiture-policy-ahead-of-conference-play.aspx

12/28/2021 6:16 pm  #2

Re: Postponements

Good find and very well said, GWAA.
Without reading the actual policy, this seems pretty reasonable, at a glance, as described on the GW sports page. 
  It's a hard task to come up with something that is weighted fairly.

12/30/2021 11:04 am  #3

Our game Sunday against St Joes has been postponed

12/30/2021 5:17 pm  #4

The saddest things are:

1. Possible infection of anybody
2. Another totally messed up year for each player
3. Another year where it’s beyond  me to know if the program is progressing or not.

Last edited by FredD (12/31/2021 2:08 pm)

12/30/2021 6:55 pm  #5

The conference also scuppered the Davidson at VCU game, meaning the conference will make its debut on its new TV home with the highly-anticipated LaSalle at URI game, something sure to turn the new broadcast arrangement into a Nielsen´s juggernaut that wipes out the competition and makes Fox and CBS clamour to drop their NFL contracts.
https://gwsports.com/news/2021/12/30/atlantic-10-makes-changes-to-sunday-mens-basketball-schedule.aspx

12/31/2021 2:13 pm  #6

1/01/2022 10:21 am  #7

Fred D;  I think we already know whether the program is progressing or not. Methinks 61 games is enough of an indicator. Record: 21 wins--60 losses under Coach Christian with a whopping .333 record this year against less than stellar opposition. 

1/01/2022 2:26 pm  #8

3 Bid League @3BidLeaguePod·3h 
Sounds like the Atlantic 10 will not reschedule games between healthy teams that are available to play.

I guess travel logistics must be too difficult but it's a shame that the A-10 isn't trying to match up two health teams to play. That way games get played and then future dates are opened up to reschedule the COVID-postponed games.

1/02/2022 8:32 pm  #9

If everything goes well this week, I suspect our first A-10 game will be on Saturday against Dayton at home sans ticketed fans.

1/02/2022 10:46 pm  #10

GWRising wrote:

If everything goes well this week, I suspect our first A-10 game will be on Saturday against Dayton at home sans ticketed fans.

With all our starters?

1/03/2022 11:04 am  #11

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

With all our starters?

TBD

1/03/2022 6:37 pm  #12

1/04/2022 8:05 am  #13

Cassandra of Troy or an overblown hurricane forecast? Which is GW facing? Other teams are playing with fans if TV is to be believed. While I don't feel cheated by not being able to attend at what point is this program being really damaged? Personally, I'm hearing more Cassandra. This is 2 seasons seriously disrupted for a program I consider fragile at a school that is more fragile than I can remember.

Have I missed some official word on COVID health status of the team?

(This is not an invitation to rehash on court performance. I can try, right ;-)

1/04/2022 10:04 am  #14

FredD, I'm not sure what official word you really need.  Our last four games have been postponed or cancelled (likely cancelled but we shall see about conference games), and unless GW is healthy and fine while each of these four opponents weren't well enough to play, it can safely be assumed that GW has Covid issues.  Considering that one of those opponents, St. Joe's, played on Dec. 30 and is scheduled to play again tomorrow, it's pretty logical to conclude that GW does not have enough healthy players at this point.

1/04/2022 11:07 am  #15

Here is the reality:

There are no A-10 members other than GW that have banned fans from upcoming or past games. In fact, I looked at 20 or so D-1 schools and none have such a ban. In addition, if you look at last year and this year, GW has played the fewest games. Is that because they have the most Covid cases or is it because the university testing program and decisions made based on the data are the strictest in the A-10? I believe it is the latter.

1/04/2022 11:41 am  #16

AT Hiker wrote:

Here is the reality:

There are no A-10 members other than GW that have banned fans from upcoming or past games. In fact, I looked at 20 or so D-1 schools and none have such a ban. In addition, if you look at last year and this year, GW has played the fewest games. Is that because they have the most Covid cases or is it because the university testing program and decisions made based on the data are the strictest in the A-10? I believe it is the latter.

Spot on but in fairness part of that is because of the DC government mandates and requirements. 

1/04/2022 12:13 pm  #17

I'd like to know what protocol(s) is/are keeping GW off the floor?Is it A10, DC or GW protocols? When is the earliest GW can clear the protocols? Whose determines when they can play? Are the players going to be subject to more stringent restrictions for the rest of the season? (Not that I am advocating that.)

1/04/2022 12:46 pm  #18

Well the no-fans policy is a GW policy.  The Wizards played a home game last night with fans in the stands.  

As for the testing protocols, I agree with AT Hiker that it seems like we have more stringent testing and clearance policies than the other A-10 teams given we've played the fewest games over the last two years and haven't played any sort of game since December 13th.  This will mean it'll be a minimum of 26 days between playing games.  I don't think the team is faking the positive tests, just that we may be picking up more asymptomatic cases than other teams.

1/04/2022 12:55 pm  #19

GW0509 wrote:

Well the no-fans policy is a GW policy.  The Wizards played a home game last night with fans in the stands.  

As for the testing protocols, I agree with AT Hiker that it seems like we have more stringent testing and clearance policies than the other A-10 teams given we've played the fewest games over the last two years and haven't played any sort of game since December 13th.  This will mean it'll be a minimum of 26 days between playing games.  I don't think the team is faking the positive tests, just that we may be picking up more asymptomatic cases than other teams.

I was referring to the testing and quarantines. Already made my thoughts known on the no ticketed fans policy elsewhere - no need to rehash..

As far as positives, GW has had many throughout the program - most asymptomatic - picked up by regular and routine testing. Many schools do not test regularly or routinely if at all.

1/04/2022 2:01 pm  #20

GWRising wrote:

Many schools do not test regularly or routinely if at all.

That seems to be the biggest news.  I brought it up in the other thread but I think when it comes to conference athletics there should be a uniform testing policy amongst the schools.  It doesn't seem fair that some schools are able to move forward while we're stuck quarantining. 

While COVID has hit all programs, it seems like GW has been especially snakebitten like FredD said and I too wonder about the damage to the program for taking an overly cautious approach.  If we're NOT taking a cautious approach, then what is it about our school that makes our players all keep getting sick at the same time?

If you're a recruit or transfer choosing between programs, you have to wonder if they're going to start taking into account whether the school has played most if not all games vs. GW who has played 8 conference games in two years.

Board footera