GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2022 2:03 pm  #21

Re: Postponements

If the goal is to protect the kids, testing makes sense. If the goal is to generate money off the backs of these kids, testing does not make sense. I'll take testing, please.

1/04/2022 4:09 pm  #22

Better safe than sorry and we're not talking about big time money here, not that it should matter.
And as much as going to games buoyed our spirits, it's more important that when safe , we play as opposed to playing and having fans. Though understand the position of those who want to go to games, D.C.'s positivity rate seems to be exploding and the games are on TV.
However, while erring on the side of caution as noted above, it is a good point that policies should be uniform throughout the league.

1/04/2022 5:53 pm  #23

Relevant to this discussion, in today's Washington Post noted Covid expert Leona Wen has an op-ed where she very specifically says it is not necessary or desirable to cancel sports events at this time. Also LaSalle announced a couple of days ago they will require vaccinations for fans. Of course, GW instituted that policy before the season began. (And I believe it is the right policy to require vaccination proof,

1/04/2022 6:07 pm  #24

Game @St. Joes rescheduled for January 19

Game @Duquesne rescheduled to Feb 15

1/05/2022 8:03 pm  #25

1/06/2022 6:47 am  #26

GW can be excused for being a little leery of actually competing in this league right now, given last few years and the OOC, so I'm just going to assume the AD is slow walking the season and trying to play as few games as possible, under the inscrutable new GW motto "You win 100% of the games you don't play."

1/06/2022 9:47 am  #27

Many PAC12 games postponed and a couple of schools choosing the no-fans approach.

1/06/2022 10:24 am  #28

Mentzinger wrote:

GW can be excused for being a little leery of actually competing in this league right now, given last few years and the OOC, so I'm just going to assume the AD is slow walking the season and trying to play as few games as possible, under the inscrutable new GW motto "You win 100% of the games you don't play."

Mentzinger, I agree with you on ML but in this case you are 100% incorrect. GW is planning on making up all games missed and will likely play Saturday. There is zero advantage to not playing games for almost a month as we saw last year.

1/06/2022 12:57 pm  #29

Updated COVID guidance from NCAA:

COVID-19 management considerations suggest
five days of quarantine after a positive test with
isolation ending after five days if there are no
symptoms or symptoms are resolving.
Considerations also include masking around
others for five additional days. Participation in
athletic activities without a mask during days six
through 10 can be considered following a negative
PR/NAAT test or antigen test.

The updated quidance also extends to close
contacts. Those who are not fully vaccinated
should quarantine at home for five days with no
participation in athletic activities, followed by
masking for five additional days. Participation in
athletic activities without a mask can be
considered during days six through 10 following a
negative PC/NAAT test or antigen test.

Close contacts who are considered fully
vaccinated or who have had a recent infection do
not need to quarantine but should wear a mask
around others socially for 10 days when not
actively training/competing. Athletic activities are
permitted without a mask. Individuals should test
on day five, if possible, and test if symptomatic.

1/06/2022 2:45 pm  #30

Mentzinger wrote:

Perhaps someone could view this as a bit of a joke.  But I don't.  I think the AD could be trying to slow-walk the rest of the games and is hoping to get to March Madness (GW's off-season) as quickly and quietly as possible.

1/06/2022 3:28 pm  #31

Whatever happens in regard to resuming games should not be an excuse for where are this year so far,
once again.

1/06/2022 3:42 pm  #32

Deleo wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

Perhaps someone could view this as a bit of a joke.  But I don't.  I think the AD could be trying to slow-walk the rest of the games and is hoping to get to March Madness (GW's off-season) as quickly and quietly as possible.

My God, if it's come to this, we should all walk away from this program right now.  No, I am going to interpret Mentzinger's post as a tongue-in-cheek remark not meant to be taken seriously.  There's absolutely nothing to be gained by not playing when we could be playing.  What a colossal disservice to the players this would be.

Yet JF makes a comment that's worth considering.  Before this season started, most of us felt that this needed to be a year of progress without any excuses.  Well, Covid has proven to be a pretty damn good excuse in the past, and as much as we hate this notion, could end up being a more than viable one by the end of this season.  Suffice it to say that we'll need to see how the rest of this season goes with respect to games played.  If we play Saturday, stay healthy, and miss say a handful of additional games due to opponents being unhealthy (and as we are seeing, the conference would like to make up these games), then the Covid excuse becomes negligible.  But, if this turns into another season of ongoing starts and stops, then I don't see how JC or anyone could be judged as if this was a perfectly normal season.

1/06/2022 5:17 pm  #33

JC has 2 more years on his contract and isn't going anywhere. 
I'm not going to judge him on this year's situation.
I don't think anything will change in the next 2 years and the few of us left will continue to bitch and moan about how bad our program since the "Saturday Night Massacre" back in 2016. Can't fault JC for jumping at the chance to come to GW. Anybody would have left Siena for GW. I will always think he was a little too early to take over this program that was such a dumpster fire though. I do believe JC will be a good coach and have great success in the future, just don't think it will happen at GW (still praying he proves me wrong and has success in the next 2 years).
GW needs to get rid of Tanya NOW. Bring in a qualified AD for a school in the A-10 Conference and let them re-build this disaster and decide what happens to JC when his contract comes up. Until then, we will be in the bottom of the conference with Fordham dreaming about our past victories over BCS teams and our once in a hundred years post season NIT Championship.

1/06/2022 5:57 pm  #34

Don't know if this has been posted.    Updated Atlantic 10 schedule.  Noted that the St. Joes and Duquesne games have been rescheduled but haven't seen anything about the Bonnies.

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/1/4/atlantic-10-announces-rescheduled-womens-mens-basketball-conference-games.aspx

1/06/2022 9:48 pm  #35

The Dayton game is on for Saturday; no fans.

1/07/2022 9:03 am  #36

On the USA network.   Its been a long time, if ever, since the game has been broadcast on USA.  Game notes attached.

https://gwsports.com/documents/2022/1/6/2122GM13_Dayton.pdf

1/07/2022 9:45 am  #37

I am very excited to watch us play again.  While our games at Dayton are normally not very close, there have been some thrilling matchups against the Flyers at the Smith Center.  TJ Thompson coast to coast came against Dayton.  Spoon at the buzzer was against Dayton.  JoeMac's putback of a Kethan Savage miss to win it sunk the Flyers.  Is my memory fuzzy or did Zeke have a game winner against them as well?  6 guys on the floor occurred not once but twice against Dayton.  Even during our last meeting at home, when Dayton was shooting for an undefeated A10 season, we played out of our minds before losing by 6.  Including that loss, GW has won 4 of the past 5 Smith Center meetings.

The Flyers have one of the youngest teams in the country but are very talented.  One guy we will not be seeing is Lynn Greer, Jr. who was an odd man out and has decided to transfer.  They are coming off of  a heartbreaking home loss to VCU.  Perhaps that represents a great time to catch them (or perhaps they are angry as hell and would love nothing more than to take things out on GW).  Of course, we haven't played in almost a month.  One could expect some rust though after a one month layoff last year, GW played its best game of the season in knocking off Rhode Island.  (The team also came off of  a10 day layoff with an admirable 7 point loss to VCU, so maybe coming off long layoffs is a good thing for JC coached teams?)

Finally, get used to USA Network.  NBC Sports Channel is now defunct and most if not all games that would historically have ben shown on this channel will now be shown on USA.  USA's reach is a bit bigger so perhaps this means more eyeballs watching the A10 this season.  

1/08/2022 6:58 pm  #38

GW will be restricting students from visiting each other in residence halls

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2022/01/08/gw-tightens-spring-residence-hall-guest-policy-as-campus-residents-return/

“With a residential student only guest policy this means no outside guests, including guests from other GW residential buildings are allowed to visit the residence halls until further notice,” the email reads. “This includes family or friends from outside of GW as well as GW students who live off-campus.  The one exception is up to two helpers who arrive with you to help you move back into the halls when you arrive.”

Wow, what a deal.  Spend $75k on tuition + room & board and you can't have your Mom & Dad come visit.

1/12/2022 1:23 pm  #39

I wasn't sure what the best thread to put this on was... but I just got an email from the university saying that in-person classes will resume next Tuesday but athletic events will still be held without fans through the end of January. They're saying there will be a "phased approach" to resuming in person events starting February 1.

1/12/2022 3:05 pm  #40

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I wasn't sure what the best thread to put this on was... but I just got an email from the university saying that in-person classes will resume next Tuesday but athletic events will still be held without fans through the end of January. They're saying there will be a "phased approach" to resuming in person events starting February 1.

This means that the home game against Fordham will also not be played in front of fans.  So, if you're keeping score:

UMES                             postponed, not likely to be rescheduled
St. Bonaventure               postponed, not rescheduled as of yet
Dayton                            played at home without fans
At St. Joe's                     rescheduled
At Duquesne                  rescheduled
George Mason               scheduled to be played at home without fans
Fordham                        scheduled to be played at home without fans

Board footera