GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2022 8:07 pm  #61

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

Mentzinger wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Tonya.  Please be watching this.  Please.

What do you want Nero's girl to do, LSF?

If you are serious about wanting a respectable college basketball program, you fire the coach immediately after the season ends and eat the remaining 2 years of the contract.   At least then we can start yet another rebuilding process, as there is nothing to suggest that Chritsian is up to rebuilding this team.   If you are not serious about a competitive program, then who cares.    

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/11/2022 8:09 pm)

1/11/2022 8:10 pm  #62

Mentzinger wrote:

Tonya.  Please be watching this.  Please.

What do you want Nero's girl to do, LSF?

If you are serious about wanting a respectable college basketball program, you fire the coach immediately after the season ends and eat the remaining 2 years of the contract.   At least then we can start yet another rebuilding process, as there is nothing to suggest that Chritsian is up to rebuilding this team.   If you are not serious about a competitive program, then who cares.    

But you know that's not going to happen, and would you really want this AD to get a third chance at a hire if they did?

1/11/2022 8:10 pm  #63

Mentzinger wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

"ML did a very nice job coaching GW but got into a battle with his athletic director and that wasn't just not going to end well." - John Feinstein

No snark, that is actually a pretty accurate summary of what happened.

He omitted the part about his employer publishing an inaccurate story based on unnamed sources. But it came during a nice contextual lament about the downfall of our program for the understanding of the general public. "Oh George Washington! Weren't they really good in 05-6? They went to the Final Four right?"
That was among the most pathetic halves of basketball I've ever seen from GW, and yes I was on campus during 1-27.

All I was saying is that Feinstein is correct that any time the coach of the major sport of a school and the AD get into a feud it's never going to end well for either the parties involved or the school.  

ML's biggest mistake was not walking away.  I've had feuds with supervisors in past jobs and there comes a point where you realize the supervisor isn't going anywhere and you take a new job.

1/11/2022 8:11 pm  #64

ColonialNY wrote:

I’ve been holding out hope to see signs of progress this season. I understand this is the second straight season with a long disruption due to Covid but I just can’t find anything positive to generate hope for the future. I’m not a basketball genius but I can’t see any signs of progress whatsoever over the past three years. Surely even with the disruptions due to Covid, I was hoping we would at least see signs of improving structure on both offense and defense. I see nothing. I would be happy to have someone explain to me where there is progress but from my couch I see nothing that demonstrates that we will be better than Fordham’s cellar partner indefinitely. Someone tell me I’m wrong please because this sucks.

You must have missed how we are winless against Fordham since 2020 and they actually have a dynamic new AD and head coach. We wish Fordham was our cellar partner.

1/11/2022 8:12 pm  #65

GW0509 wrote:

completely undisciplined.   Game after game, they look like a pickup team that has never played together before. 

This is from a few weeks back now but the guys at A10 Stats looked at each team's most used lineups and GW's is the least effective playing together.  Never a good thing for the lineup that sees the floor most often.

I saw a post from them with the efficiency of all our lineups.  I meant to post it to the board but forgot. I’ll see if I can find it.    If I remember, the best lineups surprisingly had Qwanzi or Harris (small sample size, though)

1/11/2022 8:13 pm  #66

Another  fun game thread from the Long Suffering Mailfan 

1/11/2022 8:13 pm  #67

Mentzinger wrote:

ColonialNY wrote:

I’ve been holding out hope to see signs of progress this season. I understand this is the second straight season with a long disruption due to Covid but I just can’t find anything positive to generate hope for the future. I’m not a basketball genius but I can’t see any signs of progress whatsoever over the past three years. Surely even with the disruptions due to Covid, I was hoping we would at least see signs of improving structure on both offense and defense. I see nothing. I would be happy to have someone explain to me where there is progress but from my couch I see nothing that demonstrates that we will be better than Fordham’s cellar partner indefinitely. Someone tell me I’m wrong please because this sucks.

You must have missed how we are winless against Fordham since 2020 and they actually have a dynamic new AD and head coach. We wish Fordham was our cellar partner.

We actually beat Fordham twice last year.  But based on how Fordham's looked under Coach Neptune I think we'll have trouble with them this year for sure.

1/11/2022 8:14 pm  #68

I’ve been watching GW religiously for over 30 years.  This is as in-fun as I can remember it.  I’m not sure I should waste my time continuing to watch this game.  I love GW, but ugh.

1/11/2022 8:15 pm  #69

Do we even have the funds to buyout Christian at this point? I honestly have no idea but have my doubts.

If not, might as well start making a shortlist of AD and HC candidates after this year, see how they do in the 23/24 season and reach out in the middle of next season (or towards the end)

1/11/2022 8:15 pm  #70

GW0509 wrote:

ML's biggest mistake was not walking away.  I've had feuds with supervisors in past jobs and there comes a point where you realize the supervisor isn't going anywhere and you take a new job.

Not sure about that. Three million dollars is a lot of money. I'd be able to go the distance with that payout.
And who really thinks your career's going to be smashed by a sex predator when you go to his boss and complain? 
Seriously, and sadly, this remains the most compelling GW Basketball discussion ... until we have a leadership that's more about winning basketball than mismanaging and covering up.

1/11/2022 8:16 pm  #71

I’ll add the players are seem likable and that makes this even tougher to watch.

1/11/2022 8:18 pm  #72

If you turned it off early Free, you would have missed Dean scoring a point.  Who knows when that will happen again.

1/11/2022 8:18 pm  #73

"Feud" was being polite. Feinstein seemed to know the story and alluded to it early.
Don't see how ML could morally not do anything,whether best for him or not.
But enjoy what Forrest Maltzman wrought.

1/11/2022 8:18 pm  #74

I strongly suspect that Ricky Lindo is better player than we have been seeing this year.

1/11/2022 8:19 pm  #75

The Dude wrote:

Another  fun game thread from the Long Suffering Mailfan 

It's your thread, Dude. Maybe don't start them anymore if you don't like the content.

1/11/2022 8:20 pm  #76

MG14 wrote:

Do we even have the funds to buyout Christian at this point? I honestly have no idea but have my doubts.

If not, might as well start making a shortlist of AD and HC candidates after this year, see how they do in the 23/24 season and reach out in the middle of next season (or towards the end)

I guess that depends whether we are wedded to a $2.41 Billion endowment, or if we’d be on with a a &2.4097 Billion endowment. 

In other words, it’s a rounding error for school or GW’s means.  But it’s doubtful anyone in power cares and we already know our AD stinks.

1/11/2022 8:20 pm  #77

MG14 wrote:

Like small market teams in baseball, we have the money to do whatever we want. Don't believe anyone who says we "can't" do it.  Our endowment is one of, if not the largest in the A10.  The question is if the school wants to use $ to fire JC and pay for a new coach.  I think that is probably not likely but it's not because we are out of money.

1/11/2022 8:21 pm  #78

If you turned it off early Free, you would have missed Dean scoring a point.  Who knows when that will happen again.

I saw it; though I am flipping around to other games.

1/11/2022 8:22 pm  #79

Even if they have the money I think the basketball program is pretty far down the list of priorities for the GW administration unfortunately

1/11/2022 8:23 pm  #80

GW0509 wrote:

MG14 wrote:

Like small market teams in baseball, we have the money to do whatever we want. Don't believe anyone who says we "can't" do it.  Our endowment is one of, if not the largest in the A10.  The question is if the school wants to use $ to fire JC and pay for a new coach.  I think that is probably not likely but it's not because we are out of money.

Excuse my naivety but do schools of our caliber/level often use their endownment to buyout athletic staff?

Last edited by MG14 (1/11/2022 8:24 pm)

Board footera