GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2022 8:48 pm  #101

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

Knapp inspires comeback.
In addition to baskets,he had a deflection earlier leading a steal and fast break.

1/11/2022 8:48 pm  #102

Mentzinger wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Not sure I see the "gay" factor either, other than the prior AD and current AD are gay.  Don't see why that would impact Tonya not wanting the program to succeed.  Whether she is capable of doing so is a different issue.  I think the issue is the school's commitment to the basketball program is the driving issue.  If the school is committed, they make a change.  If not committed, well then we have long term problems.

I think there are some unknowledgeable yet important stakeholders who believe PN was "forced out" after trying to prevent ML from thrashing his players with hot irons and calling them names. I think there was at least one Title IX lawsuit alleging people were denied promotions in GW's athletic department because they were not gay.
Am I imagining these things? That's totally possible with this program.

The complaint in question was an EEOC complaint where a female employee said she was being paid less than a male counterpart and was pressured not to apply for a job earmarked for another male employee: https://www.gwhatchet.com/2017/10/02/athletic-department-at-center-of-pay-discrimination-lawsuit/.  You can take the position that was because the female employee was "not gay" but that wasn't the complaint.  

1/11/2022 8:50 pm  #103

From what I see is that the bench players really want to play. The starters seem to have no heart.  Bishop is more a detriment than an asset. 

1/11/2022 8:51 pm  #104

GW0509 wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Not sure I see the "gay" factor either, other than the prior AD and current AD are gay.  Don't see why that would impact Tonya not wanting the program to succeed.  Whether she is capable of doing so is a different issue.  I think the issue is the school's commitment to the basketball program is the driving issue.  If the school is committed, they make a change.  If not committed, well then we have long term problems.

I think there are some unknowledgeable yet important stakeholders who believe PN was "forced out" after trying to prevent ML from thrashing his players with hot irons and calling them names. I think there was at least one Title IX lawsuit alleging people were denied promotions in GW's athletic department because they were not gay.
Am I imagining these things? That's totally possible with this program.

That's exactly what I was referencing, thanks.
Conjecture on my part, but if a woman sues PN saying a male employee who wasn't doing anything got a promotion anyway, that wouldn't ring any alarm bells with you, knowing what you know about PN's athletic department under which TV was second in charge?

The complaint in question was an EEOC complaint where a female employee said she was being paid less than a male counterpart and was pressured not to apply for a job earmarked for another male employee: https://www.gwhatchet.com/2017/10/02/athletic-department-at-center-of-pay-discrimination-lawsuit/.  You can take the position that was because the female employee was "not gay" but that wasn't the complaint.  

1/11/2022 8:51 pm  #105

Feinstein just said that about Bishop.

1/11/2022 8:52 pm  #106

Bishop comes back on the court and a GW "comeback" turns in to two straight VCU buckets. Coincidence?

1/11/2022 8:53 pm  #107

"They gave him the baseline.   Nobody came and took the baseline away from him"   These are fundamentals.

1/11/2022 8:54 pm  #108

Put in bench,down by 22 ,with a minute and change.
Have some heart for their dedication

1/11/2022 8:59 pm  #109

57 points seems about right for s bad high school team. 

1/11/2022 8:59 pm  #110

Something else of note: we're shooting 50% from the FT line. We're shooting about 66% on the season which is horrendous. Especially awful when you consider that most of our FTs are attempted by guards

1/11/2022 9:01 pm  #111

Almost same score as Dayton game. Love the consistency.
Now to watch some actual D1 games Auburn-Bama should be interesting.

Last edited by Mentzinger (1/11/2022 9:02 pm)

1/11/2022 9:02 pm  #112

Summation of the game: had the ball down by 16 with just over three minutes to go. Maybe we can go on a run to end the game losing by about 10 and have something from the second half to build upon. Instead, a wild shot is blocked and we proceed to lose by 27.  If that doesn’t sum up whatever it is this team does, I’m not sure what does. It’s rough and the tunnel is getting darker not brighter.

1/11/2022 9:02 pm  #113

GW0509 wrote:

Right now I'm putting the over/under of our final points at 55 and would probably take the under.

Was dead on the right O/U number but should've taken the over!

1/11/2022 9:04 pm  #114

So I guess the lack of a home court advantage really wasn't a factor against Dayton. Huh.
Feb. 2 home vs LaSalle. That will be our only shot at a win here out. 

1/11/2022 9:05 pm  #115

Bishop with a whopping 1 assist.  Enough said.

1/11/2022 9:06 pm  #116

I try to be positive, but this is just a total effin’ train wreck.  I keep asking myself if I’ve ever seen a worse half of poorly played and coached GW basketball—until I see the next half.  There is ZERO progress and I have no idea what they are trying to accomplish on both ends of the court. 

Losing to Fordham three times in one season (Fordham’s only three A-10 wins) seemed like a lowlight fluke, but it is now the standard. 

I’m at a total loss for more words.

1/11/2022 9:06 pm  #117

Just to be clear-- for the game GW had 8 assists and 18 turnovers. That goes along with getting out rebounded 48-30 (including allowing 19 offensive rebounds) and shooting 37% for the game. Half of all FTs were misses. VCU turned the turnovers in to just 24 points in a 27-point win. And while GW managed to block 7 shots (seemed like more, but whatever), VCU blocked 11 shot attempts. And despite getting their most extensive gametime of the season, the bench managed to add a whopping 9 points to GW total score of 57.
El Stinko.

1/11/2022 9:11 pm  #118

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Just to be clear-- for the game GW had 8 assists and 18 turnovers. That goes along with getting out rebounded 48-30 (including allowing 19 offensive rebounds) and shooting 37% for the game. Half of all FTs were misses. VCU turned the turnovers in to "just" 24 points in a 27-point win. And while GW managed to block 7 shots (seemed like more, but whatever), VCU blocked 11 shot attempts. And despite getting their most extensive gametime of the season, the bench managed to add a whopping 9 points to GW total score of 57.
El Stinko.

1/11/2022 9:14 pm  #119

Knapp gives a spark and gets rewarded by Bishop coming back in and turns it over and misses 3 shots. Kid is very talented but is probably the most selfish player I’ve ever seen. It sure looks JC has lost his team. Effort is gone. Since we are the only team in the conference not allowing fans I don’t see how playing at home will give us any advantage. I bought into JC and now I feel beyond disappointed. Don’t see a path to success.

1/11/2022 9:17 pm  #120

Meanwhile the second worst team in the A-10 (La Salle) took the Bonnies (who are coming off a 25 day COVID break) to OT and only lost by 4 tonight. The gap between GW and everyone else in the A-10 seems to be enormous.

Board footera