GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2022 6:55 pm  #161

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

Am not suggesting that Becker would come here.  My point is I find it a bit condescending for someone who has solid inside knowledge about the program to suggest to others who may not know as much to not make speculative posts. 

1/12/2022 7:02 pm  #162

Steve wrote:

How dare anyone ever speculate! If Barry can please ban all theorizing, speculation, or conjecture - and while he's at it, editorializing, we can all have more fun! We can read each other stat lines and respond uniformly with, "Indeed. This is fact." 

GWRising, as much as I honestly, truly appreciate your insights, it's hard to blame fans for speculating, especially when the inner-workings can be such a black box (as they probably are with most programs). The speculation is sort of inseparable from the fandom itself! If its too painful to bear, just remember if you know otherwise, you probably know better! Protect your gentle heart!

Understand Steve's very apt point.
Isn't this what every fan board does? Our is much milder than many,given the raging dumpster fire that is GW basketball.
  Even if most here have no D1 coaching experience,the administration should be very,very concerned when the hardcore GW fans stop speculating.

1/12/2022 7:44 pm  #163

I think Rising was responding to my post where I said I don’t think it’s impossible that the Admin would cut JC loose before the end of his contract.  I understand it’s a long shot.  I just don’t think it’s impossible.  I think Rising is saying that it is.  Perhaps some more people here agree.  I don’t know GW’s finances.  I imagine they suck pretty bad at the moment because of Covid etc.

But the hard truth is a coach will be going into the last year of his contract with what is likely and unfortunately to be a dismal record.  That will effect next year’s recruiting as well.  So the problem of having a team stuck in the cellar gets pushed out even further.  

i believe that TV should at the least go to this new Interim President and lay out the tough situation this program is in, and just have that conversation.  I said basketball and athletics will likely be the last thing on his mind, and he probably doesn’t care at all at the moment.  He has bigger fires to put out.  But if I were in her shoes I would at least explain that the situation is dire. And yes, she was the one who hired him.  But it’s not about that.  It’s about trying to make a bad situation better.

1/12/2022 7:55 pm  #164

Having watched the game last night, I agree we looked terrible. However, I'd say VCU, like Dayton, is one of the top teams in the A-10 and could easily be tournament-bound.  I feel it's no surprise we were outclassed. In fact, we normally lose by large margins to VCU.  I believe all the complaining and discussion about finding a new coach is just opportunistic bashing of a coach who's not had a chance to build his team.  The last two years have been excruciatingly bad and unusual in so many ways for so many of us.  I can't imagine how hard it is to recruit and retain players for Jamion who came in to an enormous mess.  I feel that, given an appropriate opportunity, JC will prove himself beyond worthy as GW's head coach.

Last edited by 22ndandF (1/12/2022 7:56 pm)

1/12/2022 9:18 pm  #165

ML wouldn't come back to coach here if they gave him a million per game. Nor does his agreement with the school allow him to ever work for the university in any capacity. That door is closed. Thank Pat-I mean dude in his next 6 threads when you can

1/12/2022 9:22 pm  #166

Whether or not GW will or won't get rid of JC (and whether they have the financial ability to do so) is not the point, to me. The point, to me, is that this team with JC is just awful. Awful to watch with an awful record. He may be back for business reasons. But I hope to hell he does something on the recruiting front because I'm not particularly excited about who is coming in so far and I don't want to watch this mess again. COVID plays a role for GW and other schools- but as I said last year, I don't see a strategic plan on or off the court to improve this team. I still don't. That's a problem.

I don't have the money to pay for a buyout, nor do I care enough about GW basketball to make such a payment (even if I could). That doesn't mean I can't bitch about how shitty JC's teams have been.

1/12/2022 9:35 pm  #167

Don't doubt it at all given the time and (theoretically educated) but personnel wise idiot Maltzman,but that seems like a very weird provision.
   Understand unhappily for the truth, a no disparagement clause,but a lifetime ban? Were they
(inaccurately in some respects) reaching back to the Black Sox scandal 100 years ago?
  And certainly seems inappropriate, given Deadspin revealing some stark facts with actual names and video.

1/12/2022 9:54 pm  #168

Loved your post danjsport!

1/12/2022 10:06 pm  #169

GWRising:  When I posted that "I know your position with the university may prevent you from answering this question": I was referring to your close connections with the athletic department as I am pretty much aware that you are not employee of the school..  The reason I am inquiring is to inquire whether you can be objectively critical of the current coach/athletic department/players, etc.  Or, to put it another way, does your relationship with the team prevent you from being critical of the coach.  Kinda like Fox News and Trump .   If the answer is yes, I fully understand.

1/13/2022 8:43 am  #170

100% this. For us fans without inside knowledge, all we see is zero progress (some could even say regression). There are no signs this team is getting better, no discernible signs of coherent offensive or defensive flow, etc. Recruiting has not been up to par. We've brought in some talented transfers and one decent-looking freshman in three years. However, now that they're here, the don't look like a team that's growing and improving. Covid can excuse some sloppy play and poor shooting, but it can't excuse not looking like the team has any plan or strategy on the court.

If there is an insider here who can help me, I have a totally serious request: What signs should I be seeing right now as a non-insider that this program is headed in the right direction and won't continue to be scratching to avoid the play-in game in its own conference tournament each season? What are the tangible signs that can give me optimism?

danjsport wrote:

Whether or not GW will or won't get rid of JC (and whether they have the financial ability to do so) is not the point, to me. The point, to me, is that this team with JC is just awful. Awful to watch with an awful record. He may be back for business reasons. But I hope to hell he does something on the recruiting front because I'm not particularly excited about who is coming in so far and I don't want to watch this mess again. COVID plays a role for GW and other schools- but as I said last year, I don't see a strategic plan on or off the court to improve this team. I still don't. That's a problem.

I don't have the money to pay for a buyout, nor do I care enough about GW basketball to make such a payment (even if I could). That doesn't mean I can't bitch about how shitty JC's teams have been.

1/14/2022 4:46 pm  #171

None!

1/15/2022 10:11 am  #172

Thanks Dan. Was watching the St. Bonaventure game yesterday and was wondering why we are so bad and they seem to get it right. Is upstate  NY so much better than Washington, DC? It's fun to watch a winning team. Our program has been a disaster for years. It's time to clean house and fire these incompetent  "leaders". A buy out for people who have destroyed the program?  What recourse do we have. Make the AD pay for her bad decisions.  . 

1/15/2022 10:56 am  #173

Well TC to my eyes Bonaventure its simple. Bonaventure basketball is a BIG deal to the school and to Olean NY. Their Final Four was a long time ago and its sponsored some delusions, but the expectations are high and clear. And now the have a coach who looks like the second coming of Bill McKillop.

When you get a chance watch Fordham. I'm not saying they are a lock for anything, but they are clearly playing like a team. Even LaSalle when they are playing well look alot better than our school.

So like EVERYONE on this board has been saying in one way or another there is NO EXCUSE for GW's Mens Basketball team to be this bad. None!

Board footera