GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2021 8:17 pm  #21

Re: Ira Lee

I would have to imagine that if Harris is healthy, the loss of Lee will lead to a decent amount of seeing us go small and playing Lindo at the 5. Any four of Freeman, Bishop, Adams, Bamisile and Harris paired with Lindo ought to be a very strong offensive lineup, that in theory, should have enough defensive switch-ability to not leak too much oil on the other end. Off the top of my head, Bonnies, Rhody and Richmond are the only teams with bigs that I would worry about overwhelming Lindo in the post.

8/16/2021 9:14 pm  #22

Greenpoint's projection sounds good to start,assuming no foul trouble or other problems. Could switch out Adams, Harris or Knapp,etc,depending on performance, opponent,etc.  Class of '13 notes the mix  and match options.
  We do need shooting(and have to hit the boards).
   But we'd be better off if we could get a decent big for more insurance beyond Dean,also.

Last edited by jf (8/16/2021 9:18 pm)

8/17/2021 9:13 am  #23

It's good that Ira Lee has already committed to playing the 2022-2023 season with GW. I'm assuming he wants to be able to show he can put up some numbers(like Moyer did last year) in college before starting his pro career. With the upgrade in talent and athleticism(Bamisile, Adams, Freeman, a full season from Lindo and possibly Harris), I think Hunter Dean could do a decent job at center with his athleticism by getting put-backs and lots of transition dunks/lay-ups.

8/17/2021 9:31 am  #24

Free Quebec wrote:

Wow. That sucks. Ira Lee was a major reason I expected us to take a big step forward this year. That’s a huge blow. Everyone will need to step up.

(And, yes, it would be super cool if Colin Smith came back)

Umh, is Collin Smith contemplating a return?

8/17/2021 9:45 am  #25

I agree with jf, we need boards AND shot blocking (rim protector). Whatever happened to the "havoc defense"?

8/17/2021 9:54 am  #26

Class of 13 wrote:

I would have to imagine that if Harris is healthy, the loss of Lee will lead to a decent amount of seeing us go small and playing Lindo at the 5. Any four of Freeman, Bishop, Adams, Bamisile and Harris paired with Lindo ought to be a very strong offensive lineup, that in theory, should have enough defensive switch-ability to not leak too much oil on the other end. Off the top of my head, Bonnies, Rhody and Richmond are the only teams with bigs that I would worry about overwhelming Lindo in the post.

A larger concern that I have than Ricky matching up against one big is how will we match up against two?  Dayton seems to grow guys who are 6' 8" or taller.  VCU often plays multiple guys with height.  Who teams up with Ricky in a small-ball lineup to stop a second guy with height?  Brendan?  Amir?  Joe?  

We should all be hoping that Brayon isn't our only freshman ready to go from the start because it seems like we will need Daniel out there more than expected for his defense and rebounding alone.

8/17/2021 10:12 am  #27

Also ... "8 months" ...? Pretty aggressive timetable for that injury. Why not just say he's out for the season?

8/17/2021 10:48 am  #28

Dean was getting the start over Brown after Paar was injured last season and had much better offensive ratings as well.  Unless something substantial has changed from last season, I'd guess that pecking order stands.

Bishop
Adams
Bamisile
Lindo
Dean

8/17/2021 12:50 pm  #29

Would expect something like this initially

PG -Bishop/Harris/Freeman
2G -Adams/Freeman/Bishop/Bamisile/Knapp
W -Bamisile/Harris/Adams
PF - Lindo/Nixon/Samuels/Dean
C - Brown/Dean/Samuels

Considerable flexibility except in the post. The Lee injury really stinks but that's the way it goes sometimes. Brown and Dean need to step-up and we will be fine.

8/17/2021 1:56 pm  #30

Mentzinger wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Wow. That sucks. Ira Lee was a major reason I expected us to take a big step forward this year. That’s a huge blow. Everyone will need to step up.

(And, yes, it would be super cool if Colin Smith came back)

Umh, is Collin Smith contemplating a return?

There been no reporting of that. Just a poster who noted that he’s still in the transfer portal and hasn’t committed anywhere.

8/17/2021 3:22 pm  #31

Sending up prayers for Ira's speedy and complete recovery!  Can't wait to see him play, but not until he's 100% 

8/17/2021 3:56 pm  #32

There remains an open roster spot, and new PT available to offer yeah?

8/17/2021 5:41 pm  #33

Just saw that this guy hit the transfer wire.  Transfer from Hampton and originally from PG County:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4592668/edward-oliver-hampton

Averaged 8 points 6.5 rebounds last year.  Could be good depth for one year.  At this point, pickings will be slim so trying to be realistic about who might still be out there.

Highlights show he has the ability to step out and hit a 3 from time to time as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VopcgVs2nc

10/29/2021 4:40 pm  #34

Sitting on bench in uniform…or at least someone wearing his #14 is.

10/29/2021 5:00 pm  #35

But not participating in short around

10/29/2021 5:24 pm  #36

Lindo in a boot.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (10/29/2021 7:38 pm)

10/29/2021 7:17 pm  #37

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Linda in a boot.

Yikes hope it's minor. 

I guess given he participated in media day and didn't sound like he wasn't planning on being out there are good signs.

10/29/2021 7:38 pm  #38

Lindo has an ankle injury.   He anticipates being ready in a week.   Amir Harris did not play at all today but I have heard that he has been practicing with the team and is doing fine.   Despite my initial excitement about seeing Ira Lee suited up, the prognosis still remains for a season ending injury; however the good news is that he will be back with the team next season.

1/13/2022 11:34 pm  #39

Has any injury in recent GW history more derailed a season?

Ira Lee
Lindo
JoeBam
Bishop
Freeman

That starting 5 could hold its own, against at least most teams.   What a difference subtracting Lee makes. 

I can't even think of an entire season long injury to a key GW player since... Lasan Kroman 2010-11??

Last edited by The Dude (1/13/2022 11:36 pm)

1/14/2022 7:56 am  #40

Things might have turned out differently but after watching this years team I’m pretty sure they would still under perform. If you check the roster you will see Lee is no longer mentioned. I believe he is no longer in school.

Board footera